Wedding Woes
Options

I have questions for your H, LW.

Dear Prudence,

There are Little Free Libraries in my neighborhood. For those that don’t know, they’re outdoor cabinets that people donate books to, and in my area, which is a mix of working class and low-income people, they also have snacks and hygiene products meant for people in need.
Somebody has been cleaning these libraries out completely, and books have turned up at local bookstores (some books are stamped before they’re donated with a stamp that, ironically, says “Little Free Library—Always for Free, Never for Sale”).

Recently, the culprit was caught on someone’s security camera. Her license plate was not visible, and she had a mask, so she hasn’t been identified, but I was shocked to recognize my MIL. After taking books, granola bars, seltzer, and period care packs, she then stole a package off the person’s doorstep! The library she stole from is used by people, kids and teens, in actual need!

I don’t like my in-laws that much, but I didn’t think my MIL was a thief. They live on the waterfront, own two cars and a boat, and vacation regularly. I know for certain they’re not secretly living in such poverty that they’d need to steal. I showed my husband. He’s also positive it’s his mom. He said she regularly stole from department stores when he was a kid, but other than a couple of embarrassing run-ins with store security, nothing ever happened. His dad views her stealing with annoyance and amusement. My husband called and tried to convince her to stop. She got defensive, but he managed to get out of her that she was selling the books for chump change (less than $10 dollars for an entire box!) to used book stores.

She only seemed mad she was caught and said she felt disrespected he would confront her about “taking some old books.” She said “it’s free anyway” and that the libraries “attract the homeless,” so she’s doing us a favor. She avoided the question about stealing the package.
Honestly, I think she’s just bored and entitled, and it really irks me. People from her town have always looked down on my city and particularly my neighborhood as a place full of theft and crime, and here she is contributing to it. Should I out her to the community, or even to the authorities? My husband thinks she’ll get bored of it after a while and stop. I think she should face some consequences. I’m a Black woman, and I for sure wouldn’t get away with the same!

— Stop Thief

Re: I have questions for your H, LW.

• Options
    I feel like this isn’t LW’s responsibility to pursue further. Let the law handle it. If she’s been identified by you, I’m sure it’ll come out in the open sooner or later

• Options
    LW should definitely call and report MIL anonymously if there's images of her doing this out there.  I'm not an advocate of lying to your partner, but if LW didn't want to own it/lie by omission, I'd understand. 

This isn't as uncommon as people think.  People who have access to money and material things steal because they feel above the law, they want the 'thrill', mental illness, etc.  

I'm more concerned that LW's H doesn't know how or seem to want to address this further and has an attitude that she'll get 'bored' of it.  If I were LW, I'd be adamant about no longer spending time with his parents.  It also makes me have questions about other aspects of LW's marriage and hell, the origin story of their entire relationship.  
  • Options
    I'd anonymously report her. And LW's husband saying she'll get bored of it? She's been stealing since he was a kid! 
    But really. The fact that there have been no consequences means that neither the H or the FIL have felt the need to suss out whether she needs mental health care for kleptomania and/or needs to face some consequences for just stealing out of entitlement and boredom. I would force the issue, especially since there is a way to do so that doesn't necessarily blow up the family.
  • Options
    It sounds like she's doing it for the thrill.
    Like a klepto or ... idk what the others are, but they don't steal for need but for the thrill?
  • Options
    I'd have a really hard time doing anything other than posting this video someplace where I know her friends and other family would see it. H and FIL seem to be laughing it off, but it seems like it would be pretty embarrassing in her social circle. 

But yeah, distancing yourself from them is probably the adult choice.  
  • Options
    Taking everything out of the Little Libraries is one thing.  It's a morally bankrupt person, but not a crime.

However, stealing the neighbor's package is a crime.  I personally wouldn't call the police about that, since it wasn't my item.  But I would contact the neighbor and say something like, "I recognize the person who stole your package.  Unfortunately, it is my MIL.  Here's her name, phone number, and address, if you want to contact the authorities."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd definitely report her for stealing the package.  She was wearing a mask...she absolutely knows WTF she's doing, no matter the why she's doing it.  

The other stuff is gross as all get out and would make me not want to ever see her again.  I'd be pretty peeved if my partner and his family treated this like it was no big deal. I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation, but there would definitely be a CTJ discussion of boundaries.
  • Options
    levioosa said:
    This would make me have some pretttty big feels about my H if I was the LW. What kind of fucking privilege is it that not only outright theft, but the theft of items that needy families would use is merely eye rolling to him? I would be horrified if that was my mother. It would make me sick to my stomach and I’d probably go stock the libraries double time with the canned foods and personal use items. LW has a husband problem just as much as she had a MIL problem and I would definitely at the very least anonymously report her. 
    I'd have major issues with my H if he didn't report his mom for stealing.  

This is only petty because it's not his stuff.  

I'd be quite clear with my H about how I have a major issue with our differing ethics but also that if he didn't report his mother I surely would.

• Options
    I agree with the reporting the situation and being pissed at H's reaction. However, @flantastic is right, if she has mental health issues that need to be addressed. Kleptomania isn't a choice but a driven need from what I understand.