Wedding Woes

You're a kid and your parents did what they needed to in order to make you well.

Dear Prudence,

​​I’m turning 16 this May, and I’ve had health problems since I was very young. I constantly missed school because I didn’t feel well, and that was a problem for a very long time. My parents spent a lot of time, effort, and money trying to help me and get me diagnosed with something. I’m talking an MRI scan, a colonoscopy, an endoscopy, etc. … Thankfully, my family is in a good financial situation, so it wasn’t like we were struggling or anything. Recently, as in the last year or so, I started seeing a therapist and got diagnosed with severe anxiety, depression, and a panic disorder, all that I’ve likely had my whole life. I was put on Prozac recently, and after a brief adjustment period, I’ve felt amazing. I still occasionally suffer from fatigue and a sort of weak immune system, but it’s not as bad as it used to be. I’ve been able to get more sleep at night, I’m able to make it through the day without crashing, and I experience less joint and muscle pain. In short, my physical problems were in large part due to my mental problems affecting my whole body.

I feel super guilty about my parents doing so many things for me to try and figure out something wrong physically when the actual solution was so simple all along. I know that they love and support me no matter what, and are just happy to actually be able to help me, but I still can’t help feeling bad for, well, feeling bad. Like I let my mental state affect me in this way. Am I right in feeling bad? If not, how do I stop?

— Guilty Nevertheless

Re: You're a kid and your parents did what they needed to in order to make you well.

• Oh LW I get wanting to repay your parents but right now keep focusing on your mental health.

It's unfortunately that mental health was never considered, but honest I kind of understand why they'd wanna make sure everything else.
    Some people have different physical reactions to anxiety/depression. My friend growing up and my coworker's daughter get stomachaches.
    M gets stressed and he gets a migraine {he's prone to them but I find it's more when he's stressed}
  • If you're still seeing a therapist, I hope you will talk to them about this guilt you're feeling. You were a kid, and there was no way for you to know what was causing you to feel so unwell. Please try to acknowledge that and stop being so hard on yourself.

And I'm sure above all else, your parents are happy to see you doing so much better, even if it was a long road to get there.