Wedding Woes
Options

Nope, this is definitely a hill to die on.

Dear Prudence,

I have a nice finished basement apartment that I rent out to the local university students. Mostly the international ones. I use the money I get from it to help out my own two kids who go to school out of state. My ex wanted to be near family after the divorce and her mother and sister both had health problems; I didn’t contest. I have a good relationship with my kids. My wife and I have been married five years, and this is both our second marriage. She and my kids get along but aren’t close since they were basically grown when we married.

My wife’s niece, “Nora,” has been a disaster since she was 16. Got pregnant out of wedlock, dropped out of high school, dropped off her kid on her parents, and ran off with some random guy—rinse and repeat. Her parents adopted the first two children and cut ties with Nora. The state took the third. The last person to try and help Nora was her grandmother—who Nora rewarded by stealing her Social Security checks. And she has repeated this pattern with her entire family.

Nora is in prison for multiple thefts and due to get out soon. She has been writing my wife for months and claimed she has found the Lord. She is a “new woman” and ready to make things right. My wife believes her and has driven down to visit Nora several times. My wife wants to house Nora in the apartment until she can get on her feet. I told her, “Over my dead body.” First, Nora has burned way too many bridges to make me believe she has changed. Second, I don’t want to be robbed (access to the apartment comes through our kitchen). Third, I need the income to help my kids and save for our retirement.

My wife argues I am not being fair. She says I should trust her judgment here, and if one of my kids needed help, I would let them move in a heartbeat. I told her she can’t compare my kids to Nora. It is apples and rotten oranges. And if they had put me through a fifth of the grief Nora put her parents through, I would cut them off without a second thought. My sister-in-law and her husband should be enjoying their golden years and not running after elementary-age children. Even with the help of their son, it is very hard on their health.

I told my wife, if she was so gung-ho about taking care of Nora, to put her up in the cabin she inherited from her late husband. It might be in the middle of the woods but there are several towns nearby where Nora could seek work, and she could even let Nora have her old truck. She rents it out often enough. My wife told me that was her property and not mine. I told her she proved my point. When we married, we agreed not to mingle our previous assets. My will states my wife will live in this house until she dies, but my kids will get it in the end. This is all legal and has been approved by our attorney.

My wife cries and called me a “coldhearted son of a bitch.” I just told her I live here but Nora has been nothing but a millstone around everyone’s neck. I offered to take over the majority of the bills and let my wife spend her share on Nora. My wife snapped at me, “That will not be enough in this economy.” I just told her I loved her, but not to the point of ruin. If Nora was the breaking point, I would break. I love my wife. I don’t want to lose her but I am prepared to. She refuses marriage counseling. Help.

—Wedge

Re: Nope, this is definitely a hill to die on.

• Options
    LW is right.  Dont' let her move in. 
  • Options
    Your wife secretly knows that financing Nora is not great or she'd put her in her family cabin.   She's also hoping for the best which is why she's asking you to use the basement.

But this is a hill to die on.  

Let Nora prove herself in a halfway house or other place for a long time first.  Contact places that can work with rehabilitated felons but absolutely do not feel like your physical and financial safety should be on the line. 

• Options
    That the wife won’t offer her cabin but wants to jeopardize the LEs apartment (and their home) is a huge problem. If the wife wants to care for Nora from her own assets she’s free to do that, but shes trying to make LW take on the risk and that’s not fair. And she’s turning to name calling? Not okay. Let this play out LW but don’t let Nora move in. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    Either your wife is super naïve and too empathetic or she's just as manipulative as Nora.  I can see either side.  Don't let Nora move in for sure, but it's past time to tell her name-calling is unacceptable and if she doesn't understand self-protection, then you have a marriage problem (I mean, clearly). 

I'd honestly be considering a 'therapy or we separate' ultimatum if she continues to push the Nora issue and treat you like shit in the process.  But even that would be hard IMO, because her attitude is so over the top and calling LW a 'cold hearted son of a bitch' over this is almost a point of no return. 
    Agreed.  It would be a "I'm ready to talk about this when we can both be calm and the first thing that needs to happen is that we agree that I get to make the decisions of who lives here and I will not be sworn at or name called about those decisions." 

But if the wife doesn't come around I think she's going to need to live in the cabin with Nora. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Completely agree that this is a hill to die on.  Sorry you're dealing with such awful treatment from your wife but stand firm.
  • Options
    TBH, I think this is a fake letter.  The fact that the wife just so happens to own a cabin and a truck she could let Nora use, but won't, is the dead giveaway.  At least for me.

But, just to play devil's advocate, I'll give my opinion.  Moving Nora in is obviously a bad idea for many reasons.

Let's even play devil's advocate again and assume Nora has turned over a new leaf.  That she will be a perfect tenant.  Not steal from them.  Not have other thieves and criminals over.  Not destroy the place.

But she is still not paying rent.  And the LW needs the rent to help fund their retirement and help his kids.

Back to reality.  Much more than likely, Nora is going to go back to her old ways.  If she isn't already bold-faced lying now to say whatever she has to, for her aunt to help her.  And once she is moved in, she will never be "back on her feet".  She will never leave.  He will then have to convince his wife to let him take her to eviction court.  The niece will tell her sob stories again and the wife won't want to do it.  "But she's my niece", blah, blah.  And, depending on their jurisdiction, it might be extremely difficult and costly to evict a tenant anyway.

And with this one, I'd bet an eviction=theft and purposeful damage.  Because "they deserve it, they're so mean, I'm family and they're throwing me out on the street".

Do you know why it's so easy for me to write that story on what to expect?  Because I've read it so many times on RE investing forums, when people rent to or let family live with them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker