Wedding Woes
Options

You can make it stop by no longer participating in any planning.

Dear Prudence,

My cousin, Sarah has decided to name me her Maid of Honor (MOH). She’s been talking about her wedding since we were kids and how I’d always be her MOH. We were raised as sisters rather than cousins. I love her and value her unconditionally. We also live on opposite sides of the country. She’s planning on having the wedding in my city.

Here’s the problem: Sarah and my entire family were working under the impression that I’d plan her entire wedding, mind you I’m not a wedding planner by trade nor do I enjoy planning events. I know I’ve been the rock for my family and dependable, but I’ve been pretty malleable as of late. I invited her to consider hiring a wedding planner as she had no intentions of planning her own wedding. I thought we compromised with her hiring one, and I’d work with them alongside her mom in my city to get all the face to face elements done to save her trips. For context as to why I recommended a wedding planner, at the time she didn’t have a vision, number of guests, ceremony and location (church, banquet halls, lakeside, go to court, etc.).

We are now 6 months away from her selected wedding date. There’s no wedding planner and no location. I decided to confirm if there even will be a wedding. She replied with she believes I can plan the wedding and if we’re falling behind that’s because I’m letting it happen, since she’s not versed in the timelines of planning a wedding. I explained to her every time we talk it’s an endless cycle of “I don’t know,” and I’m being forced to take a test where I’m being punished for my knowledge of wedding dress lead times and securing a post-pandemic wedding venue (I’ve watched Say Yes to the Dress and been a bridesmaid five different times). I’m balancing being assertive and showing some compassion, but in terms of where I’m at in my life, I’ve started to set boundaries for the sake of my health and mental wellbeing.

She decided to add new bridesmaids to the mix, and I’m being texted by them one by one about gifts and wedding venue options and dress designs. I’ve been replying to each of them saying let’s talk to Sarah. I’m exhausted and don’t want to plan the entire wedding. But I also don’t want to burn bridges. Any tips on how so I can make it all stop?

— Forced Wedding Planner

Re: You can make it stop by no longer participating in any planning.

• Options
    It sounds like your cousin and family are deluded and are treating you as a doormat.  Were you raised as sisters with Sarah as the person telling you what to do? 

Be clear and be clear now, "I am happy to be your MOH but I am not and will not be planning your wedding planner.  I do not have the bandwidth and do not want the responsibility of doing this. I will stand up with you at the altar and will plan a lovely night out to celebrate your pending wedding vows but will not be doing this." 

If you do not speak up and make it clear what you won't do then people are going to assume you are doing it until you say so. 
  • Options
    Dear Sarah, there's a whole internet to help you with this.  Stop making family work for free.  If you can't figure it out, apparently you don't want to get married. 

P.S. ALL you need to be married is a piece of paper signed by someone who has the proper credentials.  The rest is a party.  

Dear LW, If you still want to be MOH, buy the dress and show up to your cousin's wedding.  Stop letting them scam you into anything else.  
  • Options
    Why are people so afraid to stand up for themselves? No one can "make" you do anything.  Just say no. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Starmoon or banana's quote, but like, hop in a time machine and say it six months ago. 
  • Options
    Is this even a real letter? I can’t even imagine the least bridezilla of all brides wanting someone to plan their entire wedding, with no input?

• Options
    Is this even a real letter? I can’t even imagine the least bridezilla of all brides wanting someone to plan their entire wedding, with no input?
    The other part that sounds fake to me is that the cousin's mother lives in the same city as the LW.  So, if this were a real situation, it would make more sense the bride would be expecting the mom to do it.

After all, a bride like this is probably expecting her parents to pay for her wedding anyway.

Which is another point.  If the bride or groom aren't whipping out their credit cards for deposits, then they know nothing is being planned.  Not many people would be this chill about their wedding supposedly being in 6 months and there isn't even a venue lined up yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The other part that sounds fake to me is that the cousin's mother lives in the same city as the LW.  So, if this were a real situation, it would make more sense the bride would be expecting the mom to do it.

After all, a bride like this is probably expecting her parents to pay for her wedding anyway.

Which is another point.  If the bride or groom aren't whipping out their credit cards for deposits, then they know nothing is being planned.  Not many people would be this chill about their wedding supposedly being in 6 months and there isn't even a venue lined up yet.
    I’m wondering if there’s a cultural element to this. 

• Options
    Dear LW...
    Call the SO as they're the other half in the wedding planning equation as I'm guessing they're more committal than Sarah is...