Wedding Woes

Thursday!

What’s shaking on this unseasonably hot Thursday?

I had a nail appt yesterday at 5:45.  I was 3 minutes late… and in true fashion of this tech, she was still working on someone else anyway. At 6:40, as I’m sitting by the window, sun beating down on me, tired AF, hungry AF, she’s still not done with this customer.  I tell the owner I have to come back tomorrow now and already made a 5:00 appt for it (online).  He’s like “oh…. Oh…. I don’t know what’s taking so long”
I do.  She squeezed a walk in before me, thinking she could get it done but almost 1 hour later she hasn’t.  I said she couldn’t be done in time now even if she got me in right away (which she couldn’t) and that I had to be somewhere. I didn’t. I could have stayed since I have no life, but was to irritated at that point.  She’s the only tech in the salon to do acrylics too.  But now I DO have somewhere to be at 6:30 tonight (hosting trivia) so she better be able to take me at 5 today. My natural nails feel weird w/out that protective layer.  I asked an organizer of a meetup group to post a trivia night, and I’d host it.  8 people signed up.  I reserved a table for 8.  Well one dropped out last night and 3 more backed out this morning.  So now I gotta call and make my table of 8 into 4.  It kinda makes me not want to host these things. This is why most organizers do penalties for no shows and want 24 hr drop notice. 

Re: Thursday!

• That is a long time to wait. Yes, I hate when salons overbook. I always have a backup #2 place because at some point the #1 place is going to have an issue.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2022
    Ugh, what an adventure in repeat inconvenience.  It's so annoying.  

Tonight, I'm going to the NKOTB Mix Tape tour.  They were in Cincy 2 nights ago and a friend of mine went.  It looked like a ton of fun, so I'm excited.  

The kiddo and GF came over for dinner last night.  It was a lot of fun to hang out with them. 

SSDD otherwise.  Prudie coming up. 

ETA: A black hole being found in the middle of the Milky Way that's 4 million times the size of the sun is so very 2022. 
  • It’s hot and sunny today and like no one is in the office. But I’m grabbing coffee with my mentor in person today and haven’t done that In forever! 

Softball starts tonight and I’m going to be so sore tomorrow but it’ll be fun! 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2022
    mrsconn23 said:
    Ugh, what an adventure in repeat inconvenience.  It's so annoying.  

Tonight, I'm going to the NKOTB Mix Tape tour.  They were in Cincy 2 nights ago and a friend of mine went.  It looked like a ton of fun, so I'm excited.  

The kiddo and GF came over for dinner last night.  It was a lot of fun to hang out with them. 

SSDD otherwise.  Prudie coming up. 

ETA: A black hole being found in the middle of the Milky Way that's 4 million times the size of the sun is so very 2022. 
    I have not heard of this yet, but ehhhh bring it, universe. What else can we have come our way
    eta: the NKOTB concert would be fun! 

• One of my old nail salons used to do that to me as well. So annoying and rude. I always, always made an appointment and was on time for them consistently. 

Also, I think I'm going to get my nails done this weekend. I haven't had a pedicure in what feels like forever! 

We're taking the kids out to dinner tonight. And I'm working from home tomorrow since I have a DMV appointment in the morning. Not looking forward to that, but will be happy once everything is changed back over to NY..haha. 

I'm not sure you all remember, but when my divorce was finalized last year, my ex was given 12 months to remove me from the mortgage. He has two weeks left. I haven't heard a peep about anything, so I'm assuming nothing has been done (and I have a feeling that's why he was drunk calling and threatening me a few weeks ago). If I'm not removed from the mortgage by the 25th, according to the decree, he has to sell. So I'm drafting an email to his lawyer today reminding him that we're coming up on this deadline. (I'm not involving my lawyer. I emailed her two weeks ago and she never even replied). 

So yeah. That's my Thursday..lol. 
  • If he sells @climbingsingle, does he have to split equity with you? 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    If he sells @climbingsingle, does he have to split equity with you? 
    Unfortunately no. I took a big L on that one. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    If he sells @climbingsingle, does he have to split equity with you? 
    Unfortunately no. I took a big L on that one. 
    I understand, but ugh.  That sucks.  

He's the fucking worst. 
  • @CharmedPam, you have more patience than I do!  I was just about ready to put acrylics back on, when the pandemic started.  I was SO glad I hadn't done it yet.  I was even excited that a new nail place, one block away from my work, had opened up.  But then, of course, they closed during the pandemic.  And now it is a tattoo studio (sigh).

For the 90DF peeps out there, I don't know if you all remember the first season with Jovi and Yara.  But in one of the episodes, Yara is trying to bond with one of Jovi's female friends and they go get their nails done.  They went to THAT salon!  I was eating my heart out when I watched the episode, lol.  To think a 90DF crew was only a block away around Nov. 2019 and I had no idea!  Because you know I would have been peacing out at work to "just so happen to be needing to get my nails", so I could eavesdrop, lol.  

Trivia night sounds so fun!  But I wouldn't want to host something for exactly the same reason.  It's an extracurricular activity, so people often find other things they want or need to do, at the last minute.

Speaking of flakes, the woman who was supposed to bring us the holding deposit was a no call, no show again.  Seriously?!?!  LMAO.  I was joking to my H last night, "Is someone punking us?"  Because she is a S8 tenant and had a good previous landlord reference, I'd still rent to her for one of the units that isn't ready yet.  And I might even reach out to her again when we are about one week away from completion for the next one.  Because it takes at least a week before the first inspection happens anyway.  But she can no longer have the unit that is ready.  Time is money and I need someone who is ready now, to move forward.

Last night I was invited to a paid, in-person forum to talk about generators.  I LOVE those, because they are fun and pay really well.  I only wish they were more plentiful, lol.  That one paid $75 and was only one hour.  Funny enough, I heard about it on my local sub-Reddit.  But now I am in that company's database, so hopefully they will call me for other things, in the future. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is so hot already! I'm looking forward to the predicted cooler temps this weekend. Our water is off for a bit today because there is leak somewhere in the main and they people are sending a camera up the pipes to figure out where it is. So no shower for me until later. I might as well finish up the cleaning because I'm already sweaty from my morning workout. 

Saw Steele Magnolias at the theater last night and it was very good. Some of the accents were a bit off but the woman who played Shelby was really good as was the mother. It was fun to be out again.
  • @CharmedPam you waited longer than I would have. Especially because they're notoriously late.  :\

@mrsconn23 is it weird for Kiddo to come over with a gf? Do you and gf get along? :)

@climbingsingle booo no equity :(

@short+sassy generators?
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's warmer here than it's been but thankfully not what some of you are experiencing.
    Ugghhhh I hate FF @climbingsingle    that's beyond frustrating @CharmedPam   Yay for softball my favorite sport @charlotte989875

Today is my Friday.  I took tomorrow off because Saturday is my oldest's First Communion (and also her 8th birthday!) and I'm having about 30 people, so I just needed a day to cook and declutter and find a dress bc I don't love the one I have. 

It'll be the first party I've thrown with my family and my STBX-ILs at once so that's new.  My ILs are fine for the most part, the two families get along...STBXH hates them and blames them along with everyone else for the divorce lol.  He's claiming he's not coming to the church or to the party but I just can't.  That's his choice if he skips.  DD and her sibs are over him and he doesn't really come to church with us anyway so I don't think she expects him to be there and I don't think she'll mind.  I'm hoping it's a happy day for her, I think it will be.
  • So awhile ago I bought these crackers that are so plain they were awful. I recently got some Artichoke and Asiago dip - so good!
    Unfortunately if I eat too much of the dip, I feel nauseated. Whoops!

It's been so hot that BK has been wearing shorts and skorts - she's loving the skorts because she can twirl lol

Despite her allergy, my mum was able to safely take BK to McD's yesterday. Something she only does if she knows who's working because they know her allergy and my mum can order fries and a smoothie for her - plus she will extra wipe the table.
    My mum, BK and her friend R from school plus his mum went.
    R isn't big on fruit but since BK had a smoothie, he wanted one. Just reference, R has a crush on BK - unknown if it's mutual crush but she does like him as a friend.

Today SFIL picks up BK and I think the plan is the play in the water table. It's hot a.f so it'll be nice and cool.
  • You know what? I am really patient lol.  TBH a group of 4 is better than a group of 8 for trivia (if the 4 people are smart) because it’s less people you have to agree on answers with.  Again, I hope these remaining 3 are smart (and show up) because I’m not!

@climbingsingle, I’d be so nervous about the deadline.  One of my friends gave up her share of the house in the divorce too and said she didn’t care. All she wanted was out. Peace of mind was worth more than money at that time. I get you.
    @short+sassy…. Did you say a seminar on generators was fun?  Just double checking… lol
    @ILoveBeachMusic I get confused with Steele Magnolias and Sweet Magnolias (netflix show) but honestly they’re almost the same…but I doubt they’d have a play already for Sweet Magnolias as it’s only season 2 for them lol

edited May 2022
    @MissKittyDanger, kiddo and gf work about 6 days a week in a restaurant and they're both 21, so we don't see them much.  They called up on their own to ask to come over last night because they were off work.  <3 

ETA: GF is nice.  I have my mom worries about her/them/etc., but she's always been kind and respectful to us. 
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    @CharmedPam, you have more patience than I do!  I was just about ready to put acrylics back on, when the pandemic started.  I was SO glad I hadn't done it yet.  I was even excited that a new nail place, one block away from my work, had opened up.  But then, of course, they closed during the pandemic.  And now it is a tattoo studio (sigh).

For the 90DF peeps out there, I don't know if you all remember the first season with Jovi and Yara.  But in one of the episodes, Yara is trying to bond with one of Jovi's female friends and they go get their nails done.  They went to THAT salon!  I was eating my heart out when I watched the episode, lol.  To think a 90DF crew was only a block away around Nov. 2019 and I had no idea!  Because you know I would have been peacing out at work to "just so happen to be needing to get my nails", so I could eavesdrop, lol.  

Trivia night sounds so fun!  But I wouldn't want to host something for exactly the same reason.  It's an extracurricular activity, so people often find other things they want or need to do, at the last minute.

Speaking of flakes, the woman who was supposed to bring us the holding deposit was a no call, no show again.  Seriously?!?!  LMAO.  I was joking to my H last night, "Is someone punking us?"  Because she is a S8 tenant and had a good previous landlord reference, I'd still rent to her for one of the units that isn't ready yet.  And I might even reach out to her again when we are about one week away from completion for the next one.  Because it takes at least a week before the first inspection happens anyway.  But she can no longer have the unit that is ready.  Time is money and I need someone who is ready now, to move forward.

Last night I was invited to a paid, in-person forum to talk about generators.  I LOVE those, because they are fun and pay really well.  I only wish they were more plentiful, lol.  That one paid $75 and was only one hour.  Funny enough, I heard about it on my local sub-Reddit.  But now I am in that company's database, so hopefully they will call me for other things, in the future. 
    I'm assuming portable and not industrial?  I would so go to one on portable generators, they are really interesting and useful.  And we get a lot of customers at my work talking about portable generators.  It's handy as a backup, but the issue is that if you have it as a backup and don't use it for years, I would be worried it wouldn't start up.

My dog was throwing up blood on Tuesday, so we were going to take her to the vet, and then all of the sudden she is better.  We think she had an allergic reaction to her food, but it is food she has been eating for years.  Very confusing.  

• Omg another one just dropped out! So there’s 3 of us….this is why I dumped my own meetup groups.  

• kerbohl said:
    I'm assuming portable and not industrial?  I would so go to one on portable generators, they are really interesting and useful.  And we get a lot of customers at my work talking about portable generators.  It's handy as a backup, but the issue is that if you have it as a backup and don't use it for years, I would be worried it wouldn't start up.

My dog was throwing up blood on Tuesday, so we were going to take her to the vet, and then all of the sudden she is better.  We think she had an allergic reaction to her food, but it is food she has been eating for years.  Very confusing.  

SIB:

For @MissKittyDanger.  Generators come in either portable or whole/partial house versions.  They basically supply a home with electricity, if the electricity goes out.  For areas like mine that can be subject to hurricanes, you can potentially be without electricity for weeks.  Though I've never had happen for longer than one week.  But one week is bad enough!

For a "bonus", hurricanes only happen during the hottest part of the summer.  For vulnerable people, like the elderly or babies, it can literally get so hot without a/c that it kills people.  Plus, without electricity, everything perishable in your fridge/freezer needs to be thrown out.

@kerbohl, this forum was primarily about whole/partial house generators.  But you needed to already have some type of generator to qualify.  I have a portable one.  Though it makes me laugh to call it "portable", because it's heavy AF and hooked into our natural gas line.  It does have some basic maintenance required throughout the year to keep it in good shape.  

Whole/partial house generators are so slick!  The power goes off and they automatically turn on.  But their price differential between that and a portable is pretty out of this world also, lol.

My portable one was $900.  And that's for a higher end one.  It's pretty large and can run on three different fuel sources.  I can power all/most of my house on it, except for the washer/dishwasher.  And I could even run one of those if I briefly unplugged my stand up freezer.

A partial house one is $7K-$8K, plus about $2K for installation.  A whole house is about $10K, plus $2K for installation.

@CharmedPam, paid forums are fun!  Or at least I think so.  You are given some information, but the most time is spent giving your opinion and listening to other people's opinion about the info given.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm late into work and honestly, if I didn't have a client meeting, I wouldn't be here at all.  My father decided to try and fight a table saw.  He didn't win.  Everything is still attached for now.  I think he lost the first knuckle of his thumb.  His index finger bone is intact, but he basically split the flesh all around it.  I have a pretty strong stomach for things and I was grossed out.  I'm really dealing with irritation over this, b/c my mother is just so damn exhausted.  She won't let me help and me pushing just gets her more anxious, so it's just this fucking awful cycle of his healthcare.  When I came into the ER, she just looked ready to collapse and said, "Great, another doctor's appointment".  Plus his heart rate bottomed out in the hospital again too, so all of the original problems that led us into this mess are still there.

On top of everything, I realized I've been so fucking moody and depressed b/c it's the year anniversary of the most terrible event of my life.  My brain, of course, is like, never think about this, but apparently your body just won't let shit go.

Otherwise, SSDD.

@levioosa, I'm so glad you've got some good news headed your way.  I'll keep all crossables crossed and purple vibes all around!!
    edited May 2022
    Petty work vent.  I'm running a project that has over 2200 accounts that need to be updated. I'm assigning out accounts in batches of about 50 at a time, doing spot checks, fielding questions, etc.  My boss is completely hands off from it unless I have a question that comes up that I can't answer.  This is third or fourth project of this kind that I've ran and my boss has indicated to me that I'll be the point person if other things like this come down the pike because I'm efficient and we have a very similar work style.  

My one co-worker keeps CCing my boss on everything regarding these projects when she e-mails me.  IDK if she's trying to prove to my boss that she's doing it or something else.  My boss trusts me and probably just deletes without looking.  But I'm finding it exceedingly annoying. 
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    @short+sassy Is it expensive for the yearly maintenance?  My area does not have crazy power outages but eventually I would love to have a cottage and a generator would probably be more important there.  @MissKittyDanger Does your area get the ice storms a lot?  My sister in Kingston seems to get a fair amount, but never anything too crazy.

• @VarunaTT omg!! That's terrifying. Lucky your dad is ok!

@kerbohl ish? Since we aren't far from Kingston, we get similar weather but they're near water so it tends to be worse. They get warmer air
  • Ugh I’m so sorry @VarunaTT. My dad lost a fight with his table saw about 15 years ago. It was not a pretty sight. I hope recovery is quick and without complications! *hugs*

• @VarunaTT, you seriously don’t need anything more on your plate! (Hugs) weekend is almost here at least?

• kerbohl said:
    @short+sassy Is it expensive for the yearly maintenance?  My area does not have crazy power outages but eventually I would love to have a cottage and a generator would probably be more important there.  @MissKittyDanger Does your area get the ice storms a lot?  My sister in Kingston seems to get a fair amount, but never anything too crazy.
    Not for the portable ones.  The best thing to do is just empty out all the fluids at the end of hurricane season.  If people don't do that, they supposedly need to be run weekly for a brief period of time.  But I don't know anyone who does that.

For colder climates, it's super important to make sure it's drained of at least the oil.  I just looked it up and oil freezes at -4F.  I'm not sure if they have any water.  It can drop below freezing in NOLA.  But it never drops into the negative.  I just looked that up also out of curiosity.  The coldest recorded temperature in NOLA was 6F in 1899.  

My impression of the whole/partial generators is they don't need maintenance at all.  They automatically turn themselves on about once a week and run for about 15 minutes, then turn themselves back off again.  One of the other women in the forum has one and she described that also.

The info we were given said they should be checked out by a licensed person annually.  But the woman who has one said they've never done that.  They bought theirs in 2007 and it still works perfectly.

A little of her story.  Their house had 12.5' feet of water from Hurricane Katrina (2005)!  I mean, I even lived here at the time and it's still incredible to hear stories of whole houses under water and flooding on the second floors.

When they rebuilt their home, they did it with a whole house generator in mind and had a gas line included for it.  Though they bought it a little while after the home was completed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohlkerbohl member
    kerbohl said:
    Not for the portable ones.  The best thing to do is just empty out all the fluids at the end of hurricane season.  If people don't do that, they supposedly need to be run weekly for a brief period of time.  But I don't know anyone who does that.

For colder climates, it's super important to make sure it's drained of at least the oil.  I just looked it up and oil freezes at -4F.  I'm not sure if they have any water.  It can drop below freezing in NOLA.  But it never drops into the negative.  I just looked that up also out of curiosity.  The coldest recorded temperature in NOLA was 6F in 1899.  

My impression of the whole/partial generators is they don't need maintenance at all.  They automatically turn themselves on about once a week and run for about 15 minutes, then turn themselves back off again.  One of the other women in the forum has one and she described that also.

The info we were given said they should be checked out by a licensed person annually.  But the woman who has one said they've never done that.  They bought theirs in 2007 and it still works perfectly.

A little of her story.  Their house had 12.5' feet of water from Hurricane Katrina (2005)!  I mean, I even lived here at the time and it's still incredible to hear stories of whole houses under water and flooding on the second floors.

When they rebuilt their home, they did it with a whole house generator in mind and had a gas line included for it.  Though they bought it a little while after the home was completed.

SITB

Am I lame for being fascinated by this?  Though, I work for a construction company, so it is part of my job to know stuff about generators and excavators and truck engines etc...

• FWIW we do not drain the oil in our generator but we're also as likely to have a power outage in winter as we are in summer. 

I HATE the winter ones because then you flip a coin about how hot to get the house during the day so the pipes don't freeze but I do not want that running with the garage open while we sleep. 

And ditto for during the summer because a generator running in the summer during the night is a prime item to be taken away by a thief.  

But having one has allowed me to have a hot shower, flush a toilet and not lose my fridges full of stuff.