Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer canceled our engagement photos

I am looking for some advice on what to do. We paid our photographer a 400 dollar deposit for a 2800 dollar package that includes a half day shoot for engagement photos. I contacted my photographer over a month ago and set up a time to do the engagement shoot for this afternoon. Last night, less than 24 hours notice, she contacted me and told me she "had a small, tiny emergency" and needed to reschedule our shoot. I completely understand having an emergency and was willing to reschedule. It turned out the small emergency was her accidently overbooking herself. I offered many other days as options but they did not work for her. Her next available date is June 27th. We were hoping to get the photos back for our August 15th 2021 wedding. Her photo turn around time is 6-8 weeks, but she "guaranteed" they would be available in time. My issues is I've lost trust and I don't feel very comfortable with her now. Especially, because she lied about the true nature of the "emergency" and because she gave another option of Jun 20th but admitted that she would have to cancel on another couple. I declined because I wouldn't want another couple to feel how we are feeling. My question is do I cut and run, lose the 400 dollars and find someone that is more reliable? Or do I try to stick it out and see if this was just an unfortunate situation. Thank you.

Re: Photographer canceled our engagement photos

• Options
    I am looking for some advice on what to do. We paid our photographer a 400 dollar deposit for a 2800 dollar package that includes a half day shoot for engagement photos. I contacted my photographer over a month ago and set up a time to do the engagement shoot for this afternoon. Last night, less than 24 hours notice, she contacted me and told me she "had a small, tiny emergency" and needed to reschedule our shoot. I completely understand having an emergency and was willing to reschedule. It turned out the small emergency was her accidently overbooking herself. I offered many other days as options but they did not work for her. Her next available date is June 27th. We were hoping to get the photos back for our August 15th 2021 wedding. Her photo turn around time is 6-8 weeks, but she "guaranteed" they would be available in time. My issues is I've lost trust and I don't feel very comfortable with her now. Especially, because she lied about the true nature of the "emergency" and because she gave another option of Jun 20th but admitted that she would have to cancel on another couple. I declined because I wouldn't want another couple to feel how we are feeling. My question is do I cut and run, lose the 400 dollars and find someone that is more reliable? Or do I try to stick it out and see if this was just an unfortunate situation. Thank you.
    This really depends on your financial situation.  Is 400$ worth your piece of mind? Do you have a photographer in mind? Do they have your dates available?
  • Options

The photographer is the one who will capture your most precious memories of engagement. If you have a plan in case the photographer cancels, it is better to be prepared for this unfortunate event.

If you are not able to find another photographer, it is possible that you would need to postpone your wedding date. If you feel like there is no other way, it might be time to look for another location and start from scratch.