Wedding Woes
Options

You need to learn how to be unavailable, LW.

Dear Prudence,

I moved into a new upstairs apartment five months ago. I made the mistake of helping my wheelchair-bound neighbor, “Stella,” with her groceries during my move. Stella had her bag break in the parking lot after she got off the bus. I put down my boxes and ran to help with her items and then put them up in her kitchen. Stella told me about how she was alone in the world and on a fixed income. I told Stella I would be happy to run to the grocery store for her since I go once a week. Stella calls me every day now. She has problems with her doctors, her bills, and for anything and everything, she calls me. I have tried to be kind and helpful—but now I need help.

I should have set firm boundaries earlier, but she is a little old lady, and I was lonely in a new city. But I am not her daughter or her granddaughter. I am okay with running to the grocery store or being an emergency contact or coming over for tea and a chat—but not this. Adult services are useless. Stella’s life isn’t in danger, and she had enough income to be disqualified from the majority of services. She isn’t cruel or abusive or mean. She is old, scared, and alone in the world. But she is suffocating me.

My mom died when I was young, and my dad left me to me raised by my grandfather while he went off to have a brand-new family with his mistress. My grandfather walked me down the aisle and died in his sleep four months later. My marriage didn’t make it a year since my husband cheated on me with his ex. Apparently bad taste in men is inheritable. Please don’t recommend therapy. It would be nice, but I can’t afford it, insurance doesn’t pay, and Stella is old, disabled, and alone. I don’t want to hurt her. Help!

— Deep End

Re: You need to learn how to be unavailable, LW.

• Options
    The first thing the LW should try is naturally stepping back.  See if Stella will take the hint.  For example, don't answer the phone or text back until 1-2 days later.  When asked for favors too much, telling her, "I'm sorry, I can't help with that.  I have too much going on, myself."

While also, if the LW is willing, pro-actively offer the help they are willing to give.  For example, if the LW is going grocery shopping on Tuesday, invite Stella to come along.

If Step 1 doesn't work, then it might be time to have a more blunt conversation with Stella.  And tell her something like what's written in the letter.  That they don't mind helping/spending time occasionally, but it's been too overwhelming. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like the idea of not answering every call.  But maybe tell Stella why.  Say “Hi Stella, I go grocery shopping on Saturday’s.  If you could compile the list throughout the week and give it to me Friday night or Saturday morning that would be great.  I can pick it up from you, and if you need anything else at that time I’m more than willing to help”.

But then LW will dread Saturday mornings. I’ve kinda been in this situation with a neighbor of mine in my last apartment.  I always felt like her and her husband needed assisted living.