Wedding Woes
Options

Fri-yay!

I watched the opening hearings last night.  I can't even be angry, I'm just so sad and frustrated.  I have never felt so far away from some of my fellow citizens than I did last night.  I don't necessarily like identifying as "patriotic", but our history (good and bad) is important to me and to see our historical buildings and institutions just....violated is what it felt like, was upsetting.  The modern Republican Party should be burned down around their ears for what they've enabled.  The absolute brainwashing that happened is so confusing to me.  I have never thought any of our presidents were perfect, even when they were the ones I supported.  There was plenty I despised about the Democrat presidents of my lifetime and I held no quarter on protesting policies they made or upheld.  I appreciated Cheney's speech, but I still see her as an enabler.  One of my friends posted, "Um...this is civil war.  It's not being fought in muddy fields, but this is the civil war we've all been afraid of.  And it's so bizarre that I'm out here still paying a mortgage and worrying about getting enough calcium while we're in a civil war."

No big plans for the weekend, which is good.  I've got a new 3D sculpture to work on, which I think I'll do while I'm watching the rest of the hearings.

Re: Fri-yay!

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Completely agree varuna about the modern Republican party...and it's getting worse.  Not sure I can watch the rest of the hearings.  

Tomorrow I have a family party, lots of milestone birthdays- a cousin turning 30, another turning 40, an aunt turning 60, and another turning 70.  My mom is one of nine and I have a ton of cousins, everyone lived near each other growing up (and for the most part my generation is still nearby)...we were/are a close bunch and the pandemic really hurt us (like it did everyone), when the fog lifted we started seeing our immediate families, and I've seen some aunts and cousins individually, but it's been a while since we've gathered as a group.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2022
    I didn't watch the hearings.  Nieces are still here.  I've heard some clips this morning.  I listened to all of "Will Be Wild", which was quite in-depth and harrowing so I have an idea of how bad things were and how far Orange Fuckface went to hold on. 

Last night we didn't have anything to do and our Farmer's Market is from 4-7 on Thursdays, so we headed over there to check it out.  We got all the gourmet popcorn, the kids got ice cream/Italian ice.  DH and I picked up some rubs made by a local family and some burger patties from a beef farm.  The guys selling the patties had some kids wearing Fox racing gear so I asked if they raced dirt bikes.  They do and gave us some great info on places to race around here and also some groups to follow online.  After we got back, we watched some baseball and then binged some Below Deck.  Midnight snuck up on us.  I am drraaggginng today. 

DH's interview went amazing and they said they'll be making him an offer.  It's a HUGE role and is going to involve a lot of travel.  If/when the offer comes, we need to hop on getting DH's passport renewed and he's probably going to apply for precheck later this year. 

I also talked to my former boss yesterday and went over some things with my current boss about the promotion I'm applying for.  I'm going to pull my resume together tonight and get my application in this weekend.  I have a shopping day planned with my friend L next Friday for interview clothes.  Next step is interview prep.  (I have not interviewed in for-ev-er.) 

Tomorrow is Pride, so we may head downtown in the afternoon to check things out.  Sunday, I think my nieces are heading out.  So hopefully we will have a chill day.  
  • Options
    I haven't watched the court proceedings but, on a similar feel, it's infuriating when you look at statistics that show the majority of Americans do not want Roe vs. Wade repealed.  The majority of Americans want stricter gun laws.  Yet most Republican politicians cater to the far right nut jobs.  Exactly the people involved in Jan. 6th.  And that anyone, especially our country's leaders, would defend their actions and act like it's NBD, is incomprehensible.

It's one of the reasons I appreciate you all on WW.  We might have different political views and come from different parts of the country, but we pretty much agree on basic decencies.  And I don't hear the outlandish statements/beliefs that I seem to run into everywhere else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't watch the hearings either and instead finished the current season of Stranger Things.  
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2022
    My friend texted me after I told him new episodes of “The Circle” were up, and he’s like “do I stop broadband for this?” And then told me to turn on broadband.  Half of me just doesn’t want to listen and bury my head in the sand, and the other half knows I should stay aware of what’s going on in the world.
    eta: i also feel this way about the upcoming election. Part of me should pay attention and find out who represents what - but then the the other part of me knows I’ll research this and hate everyone.
    not that this differs from any other year. This year is more important because of Roe V. Wade.
    @ei34 I’m so glad everyone’s starting to get together.  You got a BIG family!

First day wfh (we’re allowed 2 days a week). And I’ve been busy too! That’s not supposed to happen.  Other than that, nothing really going on today or this weekend. I was hoping to get a workout in, but people have got to stop asking me for things! 

• Options
    All the things crossed and good vibes for the job situations! @mrsconn23

I feel horrible and like a disengaged voter, but I can’t bring myself to listen to the hearings. It’s all so awful. I feel utterly fatigued. I’ve felt less and less “patriotic” with each of the last couple Fourth of July holidays. This isn’t what I’m proud to be a part of. This is horrific and sad and embarrassing. 

Back at work and man am I tired. I got the best night of sleep I have in weeks, which is probably why I feel that way. I think I finally got almost 7 hours. Both of my managers are out today so I’m the Jefa and I’ve already been called upon only 15 minutes into the work day. It might be a long day. In other news I emailed back and asked if a phone interview would be available for that other job. I’m super nervous and I just don’t know what to do either way. I just hate feeling like professionally and financially I am not where I want to be. And with the recession it’s making me even more uneasy. This company is unstable but I would have freedom to choose patients I want and most likely a 4 day no weekends or holidays work schedule. The other job would be all unknowns and I’d probably be sacrificing the free weekends and holidays. 

Tomorrow we are going to a local festival. It’s going to be disgustingly hot but hopefully fun. Then on Sunday we have the longest trip to go celebrate my cousin’s graduation. I’m excited to see her and everyone, but not excited for the 3 hour RT drive it will take. 

• Options
    I'm really needing this weekend. I slept horribly last night.
    Tomorrow BK isn't doing gymnastics because she has a virtual puppet show at 10am {which is about the time she'd leave} so we're just skipping it.
    Afterwards I've got cleaning to do. I already started my kitchen last night but I've got bathrooms to clean and floors to vacuum.

M was originally suppose to go look at new BBQ's with SFIL but he's got a cold, so he's likely not going.

I think I might actually get around to painting my bathroom this weekend. At least I'm hoping to. I have to wipe down the walls and I lost the stick attachment for my duster but I just found it last night.
  • Options
    My H said he can finish the rest of our Costco weekly scan today.  That would be great! But we'll see, lol.  He's told me that before, only to call me shortly before I get off work and ask me to come help him.  We did get a lot done yesterday, so I wouldn't have to be there long if he does rope me back in.

It's my last weekend before I leave for my trip and there is a lot of little stuff to get done.  At least I don't fly out until Thursday so I still have extra time, but I'm trying to have everything done...even most of my packing...this weekend.  I think being ahead of time, for once lol, will help keep my anxiety down.

I do have one unpleasant task today.  I don't normally like to go back on my word, but I need to.  Here's the situation.  About a month ago, I had accepted a S8 applicant for the second unit we had ready.  She was supposed to bring us a partial deposit the next day, but then ghosted us.  She contacted us two weeks later (about two weeks ago from today), asking if the unit was available.  It was not.  And neither was #3.  But I told her #4 would be in about a month.  She wanted to bring over the deposit for #4 about 5 days later, when she got paid again.  I suggested (for her own sake) that she wait until the unit was closer to being ready, in case she found another place that would be ready sooner. She said she was running out of time on getting her voucher signed.  Understood.  Sure, she could come over on that day with the partial deposit.  She ghosted us again.

And now she's popped up again.  Same deal.  This time, she actually did show up with a partial deposit.  Except it was only $100!  Instead of the $300 we had talked about before.  I wasn't home, but my H refused to accept it and rightly so.  She said she could come back on Wednesday, after she got paid, with the $300.  And would pay $200/week after that until she had the whole deposit paid ($1300).

FWIW, non S8 tenants need to pay the full deposit for me to hold the home for them.  If needed, I will make an exception for S8 tenants, and only require half of the deposit up front.  But they need to have the whole thing paid, before move-in.  So I was already making a concession for her.

This was all through text last night.  I initially told her that was fine but warned her I would be out of town until the 27th so, if it didn't happen on Wednesday, I couldn't sign her voucher and the lease until the 27th.

But I've changed my mind and I need to text her that today.  In over a month's time, the only money she has saved for a deposit...whether for me or for someone else's house...is $100.  Not passing any judgement on that.  I assume she is doing the best she can and I know it's not easy.  But, at the same time, I don't have any confidence that she will be able to save enough to pay the deposit in a timely manner and before move-in.  I would potentially lose weeks of rent if I go through the whole S8 process with her.  Only to have to back out of it in the 11th hour, because she was never able to come up with the whole deposit.  It's way too much risk.

I would even still rent to her.  But I'm going back to needing at least half, because of the history I have seen.  It's also occurred to me that, if she'd brought us the small partial deposit a month ago, which is what was originally planned.  She'd still (probably) have only been able to pay another $100 towards it.  My tenant for that one, also S8, will probably be moving into it in 2-3 weeks.  I know this other person wouldn't have had her deposit by then and exactly what I'm afraid of, would have happened.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsconn23, congrats to your H!  That sounds amazing.  It perked up my day, even if I'm just living vicariously, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    We didn't watch the hearings either and instead finished the current season of Stranger Things.  
    M called part of what happened but he didn't see how it happened.

I'm hooked on reading the theories and how Duffer Bros did a bunch of stuff and if you re-watch with now info, Vecna's finger prints are all over!
  • Options
    banana468 said:

I'm hooked on reading the theories and how Duffer Bros did a bunch of stuff and if you re-watch with now info, Vecna's finger prints are all over!
    DH also called out a portion of the episode's ending and I'm seeing some serious similarities between this series and HP.  

Oh!  Chiquita comes home from her 2 night overnight sailing trip.  I can't wait to see how she did. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

DH also called out a portion of the episode's ending and I'm seeing some serious similarities between this series and HP.  
    Voldemort vs Vecna? {I keep wanting to write velcro lmfao}
  • Options
    Home from vacation. Seriously loved Philadelphia and we had a great time. I was exhausted and took advantage of “sleep when the baby sleeps” and just took and hour and a half nap. I never want to go back to work because PTO is amazing. 

I didn’t watch, but I read the details this morning. I think I knew R representatives asked for pardons but maybe I forgot? So then I was angry all over again. 
  • Options
    Omg I forgot to say something and I just got so excited telling people in person lol

My bff - who's the guardian of BK if something happens to M and I - just said that they aren't being relocated anymore with military because her husband is now special forces
    SO THEY STAY HERE!!

She told my friend A & I last night and I'm just like "OMGGGGGG" and almost crying lol
  • Options
    Aw that’s great news for everyone all around @MissKittyDanger!

Philly was a great vacation for me.  I’d go back there in a heartbeat. Where did you get your cheesesteak @charlotte989875? We yelped the best place to get one while we were there and it did not disappoint! I’ve spent $$$ and been to many historical b&b’s looking for ghosts and usually never find them.  My friends and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Chinatown (because of the decent cost) and guess what I thought I saw? - although it’s Philadelphia.  Lots of ghosts everywhere.

• Options
    Aw that’s great news for everyone all around @MissKittyDanger!

Philly was a great vacation for me.  I’d go back there in a heartbeat. Where did you get your cheesesteak @charlotte989875? We yelped the best place to get one while we were there and it did not disappoint! I’ve spent $$$ and been to many historical b&b’s looking for ghosts and usually never find them.  My friends and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Chinatown (because of the decent cost) and guess what I thought I saw? - although it’s Philadelphia.  Lots of ghosts everywhere.
    We loved it so much, I’d definitely go back! We stayed right near the museums and we could walk everywhere. We had cheesesteaks at Carmen’s in the Reading Terminal Market- they were fine but we probably missed out on the best. However we also had egg, bacon, cheese in a pretzel roll and it was AMAZING!