Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Inappropriate Mother/Son dance song?

My fiancé told me recently that he and his mom have a song that they used to sing to each other when he was little. I think that's cute but the problem is that the song is "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis. 
I originally wanted to walk down the aisle to that song because I think it's beautiful but my future MIL thinks it's only "their song" and I don't want my fiancé to think of his mom in that moment. 

My fiancé said something about having it as his Mother/Son dance and I know it is up to him but I feel a little uncomfortable with him dancing with his mom to a love song. Is that a weird/creepy song for him to dance to or am I just overreacting? Thank you for your input!

Re: Inappropriate Mother/Son dance song?

• I definitely wouldn't walk down the aisle to that because of the connection. I don't know that it would be creepy for a Mother/Son dance though. It could be interpreted as a parent saying they can't help falling in love with their baby (haven't looked at the lyrics so I may be way off). Have you talked to your fiancé about it? You should start there and just explain how you feel. He may change his mind.
  • My fiancé told me recently that he and his mom have a song that they used to sing to each other when he was little. I think that's cute but the problem is that the song is "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis. 
    I originally wanted to walk down the aisle to that song because I think it's beautiful but my future MIL thinks it's only "their song" and I don't want my fiancé to think of his mom in that moment. 

My fiancé said something about having it as his Mother/Son dance and I know it is up to him but I feel a little uncomfortable with him dancing with his mom to a love song. Is that a weird/creepy song for him to dance to or am I just overreacting? Thank you for your input!
    Honestly, I think you're overreacting here. Do you think your FI has an inappropriate relationship with his mother? Otherwise, just let it go. It's a classic song and it has special meaning to them. That's a perfect song for them to dance to. 
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2022
    While it is a love song, it's not a particularly intense or explicit one. I think it's fine for them to use for the mother-son dance, unless like @MyNameIsNot said, they have an inappropriate relationship or his mom is just too clingy with him. Classic love songs like this one aren't at all unusual for parent dances, at least from what I've seen.
  • I'm in the "ew" category on this one. I wouldn't have the song at my wedding, period, purely because of its association. Disclaimer: I dated a mama's boy in high school and it was enough to scar me for life, so I may be projecting weirdness onto your fiance's relationship with his mom. And no, the song isn't explicit, but it is most definitely a song about romantic love. "...shall I stay, would it be a sin?" comes to mind as a particularly inappropriate lyric for a mother/son dance. If I were watching that, I'd be cringeing.
  • maine7mob said:
    I'm in the "ew" category on this one. I wouldn't have the song at my wedding, period, purely because of its association. Disclaimer: I dated a mama's boy in high school and it was enough to scar me for life, so I may be projecting weirdness onto your fiance's relationship with his mom. And no, the song isn't explicit, but it is most definitely a song about romantic love. "...shall I stay, would it be a sin?" comes to mind as a particularly inappropriate lyric for a mother/son dance. If I were watching that, I'd be cringeing.
    I feel like this is tread lightly category.  I get it with the lyrics but it's a song that's a classic and IMO the bride shouldn't have a say in the mother/son dance unless the lyrics are really disparaging to the bride.  Yeah I think she'd get veto power if the FMIL picked, "If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul but otherwise I think this starts to get tricky.    

If I were the OP I'd try to see if there was a different option but if the FMIL has her heart set on this it's not worth the hill to die on when it's 3 minutes.