Wedding Woes
Options

Why not start with reaching out to other influencers?

Dear Prudence,

My dog is internet-famous, and it’s stressing me out. I made him an Instagram account when I adopted him as a puppy, because I enjoyed writing funny captions, finding increasingly funny sweaters to put him in, and using my amateur photography skills to document all of our adventures. But now he’s five years old and over the years, his account majorly blew up. It now has hundreds of thousands of followers, regular requests for sponsorship deals, and my phone is always buzzing with notifications. I realized a couple weeks ago that if I quit my job and ran his account full-time, by doing things like creating sponsored content twice a week, making merch, and accepting brand partnerships, I could earn 50 percent more than I do at my current job, which, while already partially remote, isn’t a job I love.

However, I’m scared to bite the bullet and leave, and I have nobody to advise me because I don’t usually share the fact that my dog is a “petfluencer” with my friends and coworkers (I’m always scared they’ll judge me or think I’m the millennial equivalent of a cat lady). Plus, it seems wrong to make a full-time business out of my pet. Don’t get me wrong—he likes getting dressed in sweaters, going to new places, and loves it when strangers recognize and fawn over him. But I keep thinking of all the work I put in to get college scholarships and a degree from a good college, and then the years I spent working my way up to my current job. Quitting in my early thirties to take pictures of my dog adorably gnawing a certain chew toy seems too good to be true, and I can’t help but think I’ll end up crawling back to the workplace eventually. But this is also an amazing opportunity to turn what was basically a fun hobby into a job that I know brightens people’s day whenever they see my pup’s goofy photos in their feed. Should I take the risk and quit? How can I explain my career change to colleagues and acquaintances without seeming crazy?

— Too Good at Fetching Likes

Re: Why not start with reaching out to other influencers?

• Options
    I know there are businesses out there to help people make this transition (I have an acquaintance who has been accepted into a reality show and is being coached and taught how to go back through social media, lock things down, who to hire to help with management, etc).  Look into them.

And who cares?  It's money, it's fun for you; make sure to hire an investment supervisor and figure out how to make that money last, b/c one misstep in social media can ruin this career, so just make sure there's a safety net for you.  And you can add social media manager to your resume after this, and possibly open an entirely new chapter of a career once this particular chapter is over.
  • Options
    The only thing I'll caution here is...what will you do when that dog ages and passes?  Will you get back into your current career?  Will you make a change?  

People change careers all the time and that's fine.  But also understand that making a career based on your pet means that that career is going to have a finite time.
  • Options
    @banana468 that was my though too. It’s kind of a no brainer initially but there needs to be a long term transition plan. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    @banana468 that was my though too. It’s kind of a no brainer initially but there needs to be a long term transition plan. 
    RIght.  Like will the LW turn that into an animal management career?  Work in that field again?  Also, having a cute dog and having a cute dog that can work is not the same.  Just like I can have cute kids but that doesn't mean that they're employable.  So I'd hope that before the LW gives 2wk notice there is some research done as to how much can be made here with the dog actually seeing agents. 
  • Options
    Agreed on the pet passing plan.  But yeah, influencing has become a career for many people and services to support it have popped up around the 'industry'.  

Also, if you do have a degree and experience, then you have something to fall back on.  This seems quite low-risk.  Save some of the extra income you make as a nest egg and then go have fun with the pup.  
  • Options
    I sometimes joke with my cat and dog, "Why can't you be social media famous and earn your keep with that sweet, sweet sponsor money?"

Back before Nip passed away, I read an article about how much money Grumpy Cat makes (who is also passed away now).  I "scolded her" (with a pleasant tone, of course), "Why can't you make Grumpy Cat money?  Instead of lying around all day."

As other PPs have mentioned, there are companies that help with that.  I'd employ one of those and try to have the best of both worlds.  Keep working my f/t job, until there was enough money already coming in to quit.  Or maybe they'd do a good enough job, I wouldn't need to quit unless I wanted to.

I know this sounds a bit heartless because it comes from a place of greed but if I had a dog like this, once it started getting older and into it's last few years, I would get another puppy who seemed to have similar traits.  Two dogs might get even more viewers and, when the first dog passes away, the LW can keep the social media presence going.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I sometimes joke with my cat and dog, "Why can't you be social media famous and earn your keep with that sweet, sweet sponsor money?"

Back before Nip passed away, I read an article about how much money Grumpy Cat makes (who is also passed away now).  I "scolded her" (with a pleasant tone, of course), "Why can't you make Grumpy Cat money?  Instead of lying around all day."

As other PPs have mentioned, there are companies that help with that.  I'd employ one of those and try to have the best of both worlds.  Keep working my f/t job, until there was enough money already coming in to quit.  Or maybe they'd do a good enough job, I wouldn't need to quit unless I wanted to.

I know this sounds a bit heartless because it comes from a place of greed but if I had a dog like this, once it started getting older and into it's last few years, I would get another puppy who seemed to have similar traits.  Two dogs might get even more viewers and, when the first dog passes away, the LW can keep the social media presence going.
    I had a similar thought.  Like, LW should get a second dog in a year or two and make it a 'buddy' account and the 'adventures of beavis and butthead' or whatever. 
  • Options
    Out of just a small group of influencer animals popping up, my coworker's dog is an influencer lmao
  • Options
    Out of just a small group of influencer animals popping up, my coworker's dog is an influencer lmao
    To be fair, I'm the one to blame, lol.  I don't put their pictures up or have accounts for them anywhere.  I have a hard enough time catching cute videos and pics of them, just for me personally, lol.

Other than FB, I'm not on the main types of influencer social media sites.

My all-time favorite Izzy/Maple Bar moments were adorable and unusual, but impossible to video-tape.  When MB was a kitten and sitting in my lap, every once in a great while, Izzy (dog) would come over and groom her.  She gave her long, slow gentle licks as if that was her baby.  MB wasn't scared at all.  She'd sit there happy and content for about 4-5 minutes, then she'd be tired of it and jump down.

We adopted MB at about 3 months old.  It first happened when she was almost 4 months.  But Izzy stopped doing it by 6 months.

If I called my H over quietly to see it or if I moved even a smidge, it broke the spell.

Now MB is over 2 years old and Izzy recently started licking her again.  However, it's different this time.  Now it's like how a dog licks a person. With quick, happy licks.  But she shows restraint with MB, only licks her 1-2x, that she does NOT show with us, lol.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    To be fair, I'm the one to blame, lol.  I don't put their pictures up or have accounts for them anywhere.  I have a hard enough time catching cute videos and pics of them, just for me personally, lol.

Other than FB, I'm not on the main types of influencer social media sites.

My all-time favorite Izzy/Maple Bar moments were adorable and unusual, but impossible to video-tape.  When MB was a kitten and sitting in my lap, every once in a great while, Izzy (dog) would come over and groom her.  She gave her long, slow gentle licks as if that was her baby.  MB wasn't scared at all.  She'd sit there happy and content for about 4-5 minutes, then she'd be tired of it and jump down.

We adopted MB at about 3 months old.  It first happened when she was almost 4 months.  But Izzy stopped doing it by 6 months.

If I called my H over quietly to see it or if I moved even a smidge, it broke the spell.

Now MB is over 2 years old and Izzy recently started licking her again.  However, it's different this time.  Now it's like how a dog licks a person. With quick, happy licks.  But she shows restraint with MB, only licks her 1-2x, that she does NOT show with us, lol.   
    Please share photos here lol