Wedding Woes
Options

She's not a friend, she's a black hole of negative emotion.

Dear Prudence,

I am 37 years old. I have a friend of many years, “Chrissy,” who is the same age, and she is still hung up on her parents divorcing when she was 12. I have tried my hardest to understand how difficult this was for her despite privately feeling like she is being histrionic. Chrissy was at a vulnerable age when she had to move 300 hundred miles away with her mom and suddenly not be with her father daily or even weekly, and it did come out of the blue, but Prudie, I am tired of it. She had two loving homes with three loving parents (her father remarried a lovely woman when she was 14) and never wanted for anything. Her mother moved for work and to be closer to family, and there was an amicable division of custody, with Chrissy at her father’s for winter, spring, and summer breaks and a few long weekends in between. Her parents, whom I know well, are great people, and when it came to her best interest, they always put aside their differences. But to hear Chrissy tell it, her “heart was irrevocably broken, and she lost all trust in relationships.” She “from the moment they split, never again had everyone she loved with her on important days” and “always had to choose who to be with and hurt someone” and she “spent her childhood as a sad kid in an airport, always missing someone.”

I am reaching the point of exasperation over hearing about things that happened almost 25 years ago. My annoyance is exacerbated by the fact that my parents also divorced, and it was under much worse circumstances, so hearing about how “hard” she had it makes my blood boil. My childhood household was abusive, there was an attempted murder and kidnap threats, social workers, brief homelessness, poverty, you name it. Chrissy’s childhood was a comparable idyll. Actually, not even comparably. I was there for most of this and saw with my own eyes that she had everything but two parents under the same roof. When I’ve told her it seems she needs to maybe talk to someone professionally about her lingering feelings, Chrissy says that I don’t understand because I didn’t lose a loving, unified home. She says that she’s right to feel sad because it’s a sad thing to have happened and that because her feelings are perfectly logical, it only proves how emotionally sound she actually is.

Prudie, this is a woman who regularly comes home from dates bawling because she “just can’t make herself trust.” We had a friend celebrate a 10-year anniversary recently, and Chrissy was off the whole week of it, snapping when people brought up the celebration. She managed to stay at the party, but was quiet and withdrawn the whole time. Later she asked if she could talk and ended up sobbing, talking about how it just wasn’t fair that she could never enjoy a long-term relationship like our friend because of what she’s been through. How can I convince her that her mindset needs adjusting or to gain some perspective? The issue is quickly becoming a deal breaker after decades of this. While I know it’s difficult, millions of people’s parents divorce, including mine, and they find a way through it.

— She Even Had Horses

Re: She's not a friend, she's a black hole of negative emotion.

• Options
    You don’t. What you do is say “sorry I can’t be your go to support on this any more” and then end conversations. 
  • Options
    You need to be stronger with Chrissy that the reason things suck for her is because she is the suck...but say it nicer than that.

Chrissy's issue is that she's self centered and according to the LW almost needs to be depressed and unhappy. 

I think LW can be clear, "When you tell me that my own experiences aren't valid you're telling me that my own feelings are not valid.  What is harder is that your experience of being from a divorced household puts you among roughly half the population.  Because this seems to be something that you continue to have issues with, I do think it's going to be better for you to seek a therapist.  "

Sometimes a friendship needs tough love.   
  • Options
    I honestly would not have the energy to continue this friendship, especially since she refuses any kind of therapy. 
  • Options
    I honestly would not have the energy to continue this friendship, especially since she refuses any kind of therapy. 
    Same. 

• Options
    You don't have to stay friends with someone just because you've known them for a long time. 

You can't fix her, but you don't have to. 
  • Options
    Initially, I was a little sympathetic to Chrissy.  Thinking: it's too bad she didn't have some therapy sessions when she was a child to help process those feelings.  But it's not too late and she really needs that kind of help.

But her dismissal of the LW's own life experience was too much.  Does she hear herself when she basically says something like, "You were already having a tragic childhood, so therefore you can't understand what I went through."

Chrissy is her own worst enemy.  That is really sad but, despite the LW encouraging her to seek therapy, Chrissy is choosing not to help herself.  As much as they would like to, the LW can't fix what Chrissy doesn't want to change. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    "You're right Chrissy, I don't understand, which is why you should talk to someone else about this, like a professional."  I don't care what it is about, no one has the right to trauma dump on any friend over and over again.  I would've tried to nicely talk to Chrissy about it, and would be at STFU or we can't be friends anymore at this point.  It's practically absurd at this point.
  • Options
    Initially, I was a little sympathetic to Chrissy.  Thinking: it's too bad she didn't have some therapy sessions when she was a child to help process those feelings.  But it's not too late and she really needs that kind of help.

But her dismissal of the LW's own life experience was too much.  Does she hear herself when she basically says something like, "You were already having a tragic childhood, so therefore you can't understand what I went through."

Chrissy is her own worst enemy.  That is really sad but, despite the LW encouraging her to seek therapy, Chrissy is choosing not to help herself.  As much as they would like to, the LW can't fix what Chrissy doesn't want to change. 
    It's really easy to blame others for your own failures.  Eventually other humans see through that though.   

That's why if LW wants to have any relationship with Chrissy it's that tough love time along with the "It's not all about you all the time." 

• Options
    banana468 said:

It's really easy to blame others for your own failures.  Eventually other humans see through that though.   

That's why if LW wants to have any relationship with Chrissy it's that tough love time along with the "It's not all about you all the time." 

YES!  We all make mistakes in life.  We all make bad or unlucky choices that bite us.  But when people don't self reflect on how they wholly or partially caused what went wrong, they tend to live more stressful lives because they don't learn from their mistakes.  They're reactive instead of proactive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    banana468 said:

YES!  We all make mistakes in life.  We all make bad or unlucky choices that bite us.  But when people don't self reflect on how they wholly or partially caused what went wrong, they tend to live more stressful lives because they don't learn from their mistakes.  They're reactive instead of proactive.
    They are stressful but also more negative and generally harder to befriend for long periods of time. 

I'm dealing with this with Chiquita who is reminding me a lot of MIL with moods.  Chiquita's in the pre-pubescent I hate everyone mode a lot and we are doing our best to get her to remind her that she gets to make her mood what it is. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

They are stressful but also more negative and generally harder to befriend for long periods of time. 

I'm dealing with this with Chiquita who is reminding me a lot of MIL with moods.  Chiquita's in the pre-pubescent I hate everyone mode a lot and we are doing our best to get her to remind her that she gets to make her mood what it is. 
    At least that is (hopefully) the somewhat temporary condition of being a pre-teen.

But I'm sure it's rough for everyone right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker