Wedding Woes
Options

"Oh it's too much with a baby/toddler."

Dear Prudence,

Visiting my in-laws has always been tough and worsened with time. They live more than three hours away, so we have to drive down Fridays after work and stay for the weekend or longer to make a trip worth it. When we’re there, we basically do what we would do during a lazy weekend at home: watch TV, maybe put on a movie, and get takeout.

My brother-in-law (who lives at home) is a barely functioning alcoholic who has relapsed multiple times after in-patient rehab. My father-in-law’s mental health took a nosedive after a heart attack a few years ago, and he spends most of his time sleeping. My mother-in-law is the only person we actually “visit” with, but she spends a lot of time on her phone. They adopted a dog a couple years ago that still isn’t house-trained, and my wife and I regularly clean up after her. At best she starts barking between 5-to-6 a.m., but it’s typically around 3 a.m. She also jumps and nips at my larger, calmer dog constantly until she snaps, and we have to separate them.

Now my wife and I are expecting our first child. The idea of driving my dog and baby in a mid-sized car three hours to stay with a dysfunctional family and do nothing all weekend sounds awful. My wife agrees we won’t be making a trip to see them for “a while” after she’s born, but I’m dreading the day when my MIL finally pressures her into scheduling a trip. What obligation do we have to visit them, and how should we navigate those conversations? They’re welcome to visit us as much as they want, but the idea of making that road trip fills me with so much anxiety every time I think about it.

— Family Trip from Hell

Re: "Oh it's too much with a baby/toddler."

• Options
    Why have a baby if you can’t use them to get out of family things you don’t want to do? 

But seriously, you and your wife need to talk about what family time is going to look like in the future. Maybe you visit on holidays but get a hotel. Maybe your wife travels and you stay home with the baby. Maybe you fly your MIL up to your house. There are many many options that don’t involve being an in home dog maid. 
  • Options
    Get a hotel. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

Visiting my in-laws has always been tough and worsened with time. They live more than three hours away, so we have to drive down Fridays after work and stay for the weekend or longer to make a trip worth it. When we’re there, we basically do what we would do during a lazy weekend at home: watch TV, maybe put on a movie, and get takeout.

My brother-in-law (who lives at home) is a barely functioning alcoholic who has relapsed multiple times after in-patient rehab. My father-in-law’s mental health took a nosedive after a heart attack a few years ago, and he spends most of his time sleeping. My mother-in-law is the only person we actually “visit” with, but she spends a lot of time on her phone. They adopted a dog a couple years ago that still isn’t house-trained, and my wife and I regularly clean up after her. At best she starts barking between 5-to-6 a.m., but it’s typically around 3 a.m. She also jumps and nips at my larger, calmer dog constantly until she snaps, and we have to separate them.

Now my wife and I are expecting our first child. The idea of driving my dog and baby in a mid-sized car three hours to stay with a dysfunctional family and do nothing all weekend sounds awful. My wife agrees we won’t be making a trip to see them for “a while” after she’s born, but I’m dreading the day when my MIL finally pressures her into scheduling a trip. What obligation do we have to visit them, and how should we navigate those conversations? They’re welcome to visit us as much as they want, but the idea of making that road trip fills me with so much anxiety every time I think about it.

— Family Trip from Hell

Maybe once your wife realizes what it means to travel with a baby she'll reconsider it.

Frankly I'd be clear on it though: these aren't visits for you.  The baby and the dog and all the baby's things needed for a weekend away do not all need to go.  You'll stay home with the dog and your wife and kid can come home to a freshened up home when they are ready.

Just wait until you try to get a kid back to sleep who woke up to unknown barking and then that same kid won't nap.  It'll take 1 visit of sleep deprivation to say no f*cking way will you do that again. 
  • Options
    Hotel for sure. Or next visit, say you'll stay home with the dog. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'll never understand people who stay with family instead of at hotels.  Unless it's a hotel desert (is that even a thing?) why would you want to be around another family, in their living space, 24/7??
  • Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2022
    @ei34 that's so funny, because i always think the opposite.  That it's super weird when people suggest just getting a hotel when you're visiting parents.  That would be so odd in both our families!  (definitely doesn't make it wrong, just not my first thought!)

ETA: just my parents though.  Everyone else, siblings included, i would get a hotel. 
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    I'll never understand people who stay with family instead of at hotels.  Unless it's a hotel desert (is that even a thing?) why would you want to be around another family, in their living space, 24/7??
    For us it's a cost situation at times.  When we see BIL and SIL and their kids if we don't stay with them then that's an additional $200/night to see them.  We've done it and it was fine.  

But also shortens the timing and frequency of visits.  FWIW MIL and FIL just visited them and BIL wanted FIL's help with house improvement stuff.  MIL was pretty clear that they weren't going to go there for FIL to work and pay to stay in a hotel while giving free labor.  MIL is also...abrupt, but I can get it in that case.

For the LW, I just envision how badly a visit with a baby will go and think that the expectant parent has no idea what's in store.
  • Options
    Figure out a frequency that you can deal with (say 1 trip/year), and tell wife she needs to start going solo more often. Really, you should have done that years ago. When you do go, board your dog and plan your own activities for part of your time. You don't have to sit around and watch tv while MIL chats on the phone all day. 

This is pretty much what I do with my ILs. It's not this bad, but I don't need to fly to Miami to sit on the couch and play with my phone more than once a year. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Casadena said:
    @ei34 that's so funny, because i always think the opposite.  That it's super weird when people suggest just getting a hotel when you're visiting parents.  That would be so odd in both our families!  (definitely doesn't make it wrong, just not my first thought!)

ETA: just my parents though.  Everyone else, siblings included, i would get a hotel. 
    That's fair.  My immediate family (and stbxh's) are local...I have aunts/uncles/cousins out of state and would never stay with them.  
  • Options
    ei34 said:
    Casadena said:

That's fair.  My immediate family (and stbxh's) are local...I have aunts/uncles/cousins out of state and would never stay with them.  
    For the BIL/SIL and DH and me the staying with family is with the immediate family.  

I think we crashed at an aunt and uncle's when we were in our 20s too but that was part of a big wedding and the MOG (God rest her soul) was a mom of 9 so we blended in.

Now that the kids are the same age staying together is more kid time together. 
  • Options
    I have mixed feelings about just flat out refusing to go with your spouse and child to visit their family.  I'm more on the side of a united front - either both go or don't.  Personally, i'd nope out with a kid because of the untrained animal situation - that's gross and unsanitary and would be a hard line with me and baby.  The sitting and watching TV/lounging around seems like LW is just whining to me - you can't handle a few weekends a year with no activities just because you can do the same thing at home?  That part is annoying to me. 
  • Options
    Casadena said:
    I have mixed feelings about just flat out refusing to go with your spouse and child to visit their family.  I'm more on the side of a united front - either both go or don't.  Personally, i'd nope out with a kid because of the untrained animal situation - that's gross and unsanitary and would be a hard line with me and baby.  The sitting and watching TV/lounging around seems like LW is just whining to me - you can't handle a few weekends a year with no activities just because you can do the same thing at home?  That part is annoying to me. 
    IMO it depends on purpose and frequency.

If the LW is going to be miserable and they are doing these useless overnights every 8 weeks I can see him saying it's not happening.  If the spouse wants to go for a holiday or a family celebration then fine.

• Options
    Casadena said:

To me, it's one of those "it depends".  Sometimes it's convenient to stay with family and I don't see anything wrong with that, sometimes it isn't.

My mom and her H always got a hotel when they visited me in NOLA.  Which totally makes sense because they're older, money wasn't an issue, and I've never lived anywhere that had a guest room.

When I've visited my mom, it depends on what they have going on in their house.  Sometimes there is a bedroom for us to stay in.  Sometimes there isn't.  When there isn't, my mom feels guilty and books a hotel for me.  I tell her she doesn't need to, but it seems important to her to still "take care of her baby".  It's sweet.  

Sometimes I've stayed at my sister's house for all or part of my visit.

My cousin and her H (now ex-H) were in their 30s and fine sleeping on a blow-up mattress in my living room, in order to save money.  They visited us 3 times.  Though two of those times were stopping for 1-2 days, while they were driving through.  Then they came one time for a true visit to us.  They stayed about 4-5 days.  They were always lovely guests, but it probably also helped they never stayed with us that long. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Until the last few years we always stayed with MIL and FIL. Now that  FIL is sleeping later and in the living room (MIL passed a several years ago) we stay in a hotel. We do stay with cousins we head south for vacation ( one or two nights). That's just how our family is - also no hotels near by. As for LW, I think it depends on frequency. If it is a couple of times a year, buck it up. If it is once a month, don't go every time. At some point, parents get to where they can't travel to visit so going to them is the only option. I know this from experience.  
  • Options
    I usually stay with family, but it does depend on the family.  My sister is 3 hours away, and I'll sleep at her place unless I have to bring the dog - then we'll get a hotel.  If it's my brother who is moving to Sudbury, I'm getting a hotel.

This situation that LW is in is not my experience, though, so I'd be getting a hotel.  It doesn't sound worth it for a visit.  Then again, my visits often end up in doing stuff around the house for whoever we are visiting with .... but we're really just that type of family.  If my sister spends too long on her phone, I'm going go outside and work in the garden to make her life easier after I leave.

• Options
    Joining Team Hotel. Don't give up on visits altogether, but don't stay at the house.