Wedding Woes

Move and stand firm with no keys for the new place

My boyfriend’s family are huge “ask forgiveness instead of permission” people. His mom once let herself into my hotel room and helped herself to a pair of underwear from my suitcase, and then acted like I was crazy when I was upset about it. About six months ago, he started therapy working on how to consistently stand up to them. Ultimately, if he can’t get there, we won’t be staying together.

Although I find them difficult, there’s one thing that helps me out hugely: We currently live in a nice but high-effort fifth floor walk-up. His parents are older, and his siblings have toddlers. No one ever wants to walk up these stairs, which protects our privacy. Our lease comes up in September and the cost is going up substantially. My boyfriend points out we can get another apartment at a lower price somewhere else, but I don’t want to lose this privacy magic. My boyfriend says he’s ready to hold firm boundaries with his family and I want to trust that’s possible, and I don’t want to act like them and push him, but I also don’t believe it. How do we navigate this?

--Princess Doesn't Want to Leave the Tower

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Move and stand firm with no keys for the new place

• Ok.  Sooooo help me out here? LW wants to stay in her “soon to be overpriced” place because it’s got stairs and is difficult for others to visit?
    are all the other places in their town 1 stories? Why cant they find another high rise?
    also I read past the panty theif part, but didn’t really get past it. 

• Like….just don’t give his family keys? Don’t invite them in if they “drop by.” This feels much more complicated than it needs to be 

• You don’t have a healthy relationship if you need an overpriced apartment in order to trust your partner to follow through on his commitment. And you have trash communication skills if you’re not willing to talk through what you need when people visit your house. 

Basically, break up because this is dumb. 
  • At some point you're going to have to take a leap of faith on your BF if this relationship is to continue.  

Also, don't give them keys.  If BF gives them keys, there's your answer to your leap of faith and break up.
  • VarunaTT said:
    At some point you're going to have to take a leap of faith on your BF if this relationship is to continue.  

Also, don't give them keys.  If BF gives them keys, there's your answer to your leap of faith and break up.
    That's where I am with this.  Especially with how out of hand all of this has gotten.

The LW has thought about divorcing their H over this issue.  And prefers a more expensive, FIVE story walk-up because it keeps the relatives at a distant.  I'd pay a lot more rent to not have to walk up and down 5 stories, every time I left and came back to my house!

That needs to be the deal with the H.  That they're moving somewhere cheaper and no one outside of their household will ever have the keys.  If that trust is broken, so is the marriage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker