Wedding Woes
Options

It's called silencing notifications and only responding at set times.

Dear Prudence,

My mom likely has an undiagnosed mental health issue. Her parents are aging, and they recently moved into a nursing home where they are deteriorating. She texts me throughout the day ranting about various things. It’s not really looking for advice, but rather dumping on me. I’m across the country, and there’s not much I can do. I have a demanding job and kids, and find these messages upsetting, distracting, etc. I don’t know how to create a boundary without seeming like a jerk.

— Dump on Me No More

Re: It's called silencing notifications and only responding at set times.

• Options
    skim over them, don’t pay much attention to it.  Maybe even use the “thumbs up” icon for them so she’s confused why your up thumbing it - eventually she’ll stop. 

• Options
    Don't answer them? 

I don't answer my ILs when they call during the work day.  My MIL refuses to text and I refuse to pick up the phone when it's not convenient.   Ignore for most of the day.

Or put up some boundaries and just be clear - you aren't answering non-work calls. 
  • Options
    Tell your mother you can't respond often and they need to find someone else to speak to that's closer that could help.
    This suggests therapy but without therapy.
  • Options
    There are all sorts of features and settings you can use to limit or silence notifications.  You can do it for one person or as a whole.  Also I have mine set up if there's a back to back call from one contact number, it will ring through.  

Also, texts are not calls.   They can be read at any time. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Don't answer them? 

I don't answer my ILs when they call during the work day.  My MIL refuses to text and I refuse to pick up the phone when it's not convenient.   Ignore for most of the day.

Or put up some boundaries and just be clear - you aren't answering non-work calls. 
    This sounds like a great system!

If the LW hasn't already, they should let their mom know that they often don't have time to read or respond to long texts.  Especially during the work day.  But they will always read them and will reply back, when needed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker