Wedding Woes

Tell SIL to complain to your husband

short+sassyshort+sassy member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2022 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,

My husband and I work full time in high-stress, high-performance jobs, and have three kids under 4. He has two brothers, one single and one married. The married brother supports his wife, who stays home with their two kids. I am very different from my husband’s relatives, and we live in different states, so I have a polite but separate relationship with them. My husband has never been great at the nitty-gritty. He loses his keys, misses appointments, forgets conversations. It’s annoying, but no one is perfect, and it is what it is. Because of this, I manage most details of our home life. I make grocery lists, make or delegate dinner, manage the kids’ appointments, take the dogs to the vet, etc. I have drawn the line at his extended family.

His sister-in-law is really particular about details and becomes enraged if my husband doesn’t call his niece and nephew on their birthday and have a present waiting for them at their house. You know where this is going. He “can’t” remember to do this. He forgot again this year and just received the inevitable nastygram from SIL. It is putting our relationship with their family at risk. My family isn’t big on birthdays, so I just don’t understand this rage or her expectations. Also, I feel I do enough of the household minutiae. I don’t want this job. Am I maritally obligated to do this to save their relationship? Can we tell them they are being ridiculous and that it isn’t worth losing family over this?

—Not Another Domestic Task, Please

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tell SIL to complain to your husband

• Why are you making this your problem. She’s mad at him. Ok. “Babe, I don’t care. You could easily manage this and you chose not to. Stop whining to me that she’s mad.”
  • Why are you making this your problem. She’s mad at him. Ok. “Babe, I don’t care. You could easily manage this and you chose not to. Stop whining to me that she’s mad.”
    This.  

I do think that I've seen letters like this and I have a few issues:
    -It boils down to the LW and the H and the lack of balance.  She's managing a 4th kid if her H does not prioritize even his own appointments.  He is also not respecting his wife if she's flat out said that she's not doing something, it's HIS job and if it doesn't get done then that's on HIM.

-LW is also eyerolling at what is important to someone else because it's not important to her.  That's not really how this works when you value a relationship.  When it's mutual value the person telling you, "It's important to the kids and me that you honor their birthday with a call and a little something for them to see," then the answer that respects them isn't "I don't understand her rage or expectations."  LW is choosing not to honor her SIL or respect her by doing this.  SIL has made what she wants quite clear and LW's dismissive attitude is not helping either. 

• banana468 said:
    Why are you making this your problem. She’s mad at him. Ok. “Babe, I don’t care. You could easily manage this and you chose not to. Stop whining to me that she’s mad.”
    This.  

-It boils down to the LW and the H and the lack of balance.  She's managing a 4th kid if her H does not prioritize even his own appointments.  He is also not respecting his wife if she's flat out said that she's not doing something, it's HIS job and if it doesn't get done then that's on HIM.

-LW is also eyerolling at what is important to someone else because it's not important to her.  That's not really how this works when you value a relationship.  When it's mutual value the person telling you, "It's important to the kids and me that you honor their birthday with a call and a little something for them to see," then the answer that respects them isn't "I don't understand her rage or expectations."  LW is choosing not to honor her SIL or respect her by doing this.  SIL has made what she wants quite clear and LW's dismissive attitude is not helping either. 

on the flip side though, just because it's important to SIL, doesn't mean it has to be important to LW and her H. 
  • Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    Why are you making this your problem. She’s mad at him. Ok. “Babe, I don’t care. You could easily manage this and you chose not to. Stop whining to me that she’s mad.”
    This.  

on the flip side though, just because it's important to SIL, doesn't mean it has to be important to LW and her H. 
    They can go there.  But that may also mean that what's important to them won't be honored by SIL and if that's the way that the intend for this to do then it's going to result in a relationship without mutual respect.  

IMO, unless you're a Duggar honoring the birthdays of your nieces and nephews isn't a time consuming task.  
  • banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    This.  

They can go there.  But that may also mean that what's important to them won't be honored by SIL and if that's the way that the intend for this to do then it's going to result in a relationship without mutual respect.  

IMO, unless you're a Duggar honoring the birthdays of your nieces and nephews isn't a time consuming task.  
    It doesn't sound like they care too much that what they want is not honored by SIL.  But I agree with you that its likely to cause the demise of a polite relationship. 

• Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    Casadena said:
    banana468 said:
    This.  

It doesn't sound like they care too much that what they want is not honored by SIL.  But I agree with you that its likely to cause the demise of a polite relationship. 

Yeah.  It's why I try to pick the battle or at least when it's on DH's side say, "Dude you know it's important to (your mom, your brother, etc) that you do this.  Today is the day you're supposed to do that."  

And clearly the H should be more invested in this because it's HIS family.   But my point with the LW is that shrugging it off as if it isn't important to her is ultimately telling me that she's not a big fan of her SIL because when you're in a mutually agreeable relationship you take into account what's important to that person and either honor it or talk to that person about why honoring their request may be too much.  You don't ignore it. 
  • Husband really should start taking more responsibility in their home/family life. LW should not have to remember everything. But even if she continues to say "it is what it is" about everything else, LW needs to tell him that in the interest of family peace, he really needs to remember this one thing, because she's got enough on her plate.
  • I think LW's internalized gender roles BS is making her feel guilty about not mothering her husband. No, LW, you are not obligated to do this and you are not responsible if your husband's relationships with his siblings falls apart due to his failures. But no, you can't meddle and tell your ILs that they need to adjust their expectations. 

This is 100% not your problem. Just stay out of it. 
  • This is classic "no one will care about your kids birthdays as much as you do". And LW cares more than her husband. I would let this go, he doesn't care why should you.
  • So, I’m not very good with birthday/anniversary dates. Last month FSIL C texted me asking me to text H’s brother (her husband) happy wedding anniversary because apparently he hadn’t gotten any texts and she did from friends. I thought it was weird but I went ahead and did it and told H to send a text too. Not a big deal. Was it a little eye roll worthy? Yes, but it took like two seconds out of my day and I set an annual reminder in my phone for the future. Literally was not worth the family drama to ignore it.