Wedding Woes
Options

OMG, can you find real problems?

Dear Prudence,

I am getting married next year in a large U.S. city. My fiancé and I got fantastic rates for hotel blocks at several downtown hotels near our venue. Two of those hotels are on the same block right next door to each other. One is a historic hotel and the other is a hip, modern hotel. Because the historic hotel had the best rates of all the hotel blocks, we encouraged all of our family members to book there. That’s the hotel I (the bride) am planning to stay at the night before and get ready in the morning of the wedding. My fiancé (groom) is spending the night before the wedding in the modern hotel next door and then I will be joining him there for our wedding night. Well… we just found out the historic hotel is very haunted.

Like featured on the ghost tour haunted. Written by Stephen King, haunted. Even the hotel website has a page dedicated to all the spirit sightings. I am the biggest scaredy cat of all time and do not want to spend the night before my wedding in a haunted hotel. My fiancé doesn’t want us to spend the night together before the wedding, even though he would also never want to stay in a haunted hotel. It looks like my best option is to use one of the rooms we blocked at the modern hotel (since our block rate is two times lower than the current rate!) and walk over to the haunted hotel to get ready in the next morning.

But, my entire family is staying at the haunted hotel and will think it’s odd that I would stay the night before the wedding at a different hotel than the one I plan to get ready in. I do not want to tell them the real reason. Is there any way to do this without attracting suspicion? Will they be upset if they find out the hotel is haunted and I was fine leaving them to fend for themselves?

— Don’t Want to Be a Corpse

Re: OMG, can you find real problems?

• Options
    I can't with this. Also, how did you not realize any of this if they have a large portion of their website dedicated to ghost sightings? 
  • Options
    I hope everyone thought of me when they read this.

LW - I have stayed at so many famous haunted hotels and places and nothing 👏 has 👏 happened 👏 .

That being said, it probably will for you since you’re not out looking for it. 

• Options
    Look, on the chance that all of this is real, why not ask WHAT the ghosts do? 

OR, find a different hotel.  But freaking out over all of this and the repercussions is hunting for problems. 
  • Options
    yup @CharmedPam, my first thought was you and wondered if you had been to the hotel even though we don't know where it is.
  • Options
    Large US city could be anything.  Chicago’s could be The congress, but I don’t think they have it written anywhere on the site that it is. The Chelsea in NYC comes to mind, but I also don’t think it’s on their website.

And that’s it.  Those are our only 2 big cities in America 😆 

• Options
    The LW should just stay at the hotel next door.  I don't think anyone would think it's weird that she is staying in the same hotel as her FI, even if they aren't sharing the same room.  Which I personally think is silly, assuming they are already living together.  Though I understand getting ready separately, which they are already doing anyway.

@CharmPam, of course I totally thought of you!  I remember when we heard about that one haunted hotel in Savannah and we were both disappointed we hadn't heard about it before our trip.  (For everyone else) It has had so many and frequent haunting incidents that guests need to sign a waiver that, if they get scared and leave, they are still responsible for the full amount of their stay

I'm pretty sure it was the Marshall House, but I remember the story from the tour guide more .  But we saw so many gorgeous historic buildings and heard so many ghost stories, it's hard to keep them all straight, lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Large US city could be anything.  Chicago’s could be The congress, but I don’t think they have it written anywhere on the site that it is. The Chelsea in NYC comes to mind, but I also don’t think it’s on their website.

And that’s it.  Those are our only 2 big cities in America 😆 
    ((Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta would like to have a word with you))
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The LW should just stay at the hotel next door.  I don't think anyone would think it's weird that she is staying in the same hotel as her FI, even if they aren't sharing the same room.  Which I personally think is silly, assuming they are already living together.  Though I understand getting ready separately, which they are already doing anyway.

@CharmPam, of course I totally thought of you!  I remember when we heard about that one haunted hotel in Savannah and we were both disappointed we hadn't heard about it before our trip.  (For everyone else) It has had so many and frequent haunting incidents that guests need to sign a waiver that, if they get scared and leave, they are still responsible for the full amount of their stay

I'm pretty sure it was the Marshall House, but I remember the story from the tour guide more .  But we saw so many gorgeous historic buildings and heard so many ghost stories, it's hard to keep them all straight, lol. 
    Good job! Yes.  Marshall House.

Now I want to go back.  Ugh. It’s to early to ask match guy when we’re going on our first trip together lol.

and i bet all couples stay in the same hotel.  It’s not weird at all. Ask for different floors and I’m almost sure you won’t bump into each other. 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2022
    @CharmedPam lol, I thought of you too!

Jeez, what a non-problem.  Just stay at the other hotel LW.  And if your FI for some reason doesn't want you two staying in the same hotel, he can stay in the haunted one.  

edit spelling