Attire & Accessories Forum

Sad after first dress fitting? Normal?

My wedding is in 3 months and I had my first dress fitting today. I bought my dress because it was the style I wanted - lace, sleeved, romantic/vintage. I really liked it when I bought it and because I was on a budget, loved the price even better since it was a discontinued dress I got it 80% off!

Fast forward to today. I put it on and when I looked in the mirror, I hated myself. I felt frumpy and not beautiful at all. Is this normal? We have to take in some parts because I am so petite (5’0”) and I also need to figure out how to either tape my boobs or find a backless bra which is also overwhelming me since the dress is backless.. just not happy with how I look. Just curious if anyone else had this regret/sad feeling after their first fitting? Thank you

Re: Sad after first dress fitting? Normal?

• I’m sorry you’re not feeling great about your dress. FWIW I think you look gorgeous! 

Have you found a seamstress to talk through the alterations? Many people use their stores seamstress but you don’t have to! Talk with them about what doesn’t feel right or what you’d like to change. With a backless dress a good seamstress should be able to add cups so you fee more supported and recommend shapewear if that’s something you want. 

I felt this way after my first fitting too. You usually order the size at your largest measurement so there’s almost always going to need to be alterations. What helped me was going back to the photos I took when I decided on the dress to remember why I loved it. A good seamstress will help you get back to that feeling. 
  • I agree with @charlotte989875. You look beautiful. I second the idea of adding cups to the dress. My daughter did that so didn't have to worry about a backless bra. I don't think your reaction is uncommon. My daughter wasn't happy with her dress at first. After the alterations and addition of the cups, she loved her dress.
  • I third the cups suggestion! My daughter did this, so she didn't need a bra. It makes for a cleaner line, too. My only caution is that if you have the dress preserved, they will remove the cups because they usually contain material that isn't suitable for preservation and the dress will survive longer without them. But this doesn't really matter, because they weren't in the dress to begin with, and anyone who wears the dress after you can install her own cups as needed.
  • End of the day, you have to decide what YOU want for your wedding day and determine before doing ANY alterations, is it a "it's not the right dress for my body" or "alterations will take care of everything, it's okay, just a little self-doubt!".  If it's just not right in your opinion, that's the only opinion that matters!  If you're not "feeling it" on your body or anticipating issues with things like needing the extra support/cups and would end up with "dress regret" looking at your pictures after the wedding, go find a different dress now with the information you have about your body's needs in a dress and cancel the alterations on this one.  It's entirely your call!

My opinion is you'd look great in a potato sack if it came to wearing that on your wedding day, you're gorgeous!  It's the old saying "If you have to talk yourself into wearing something, it's not the right outfit/accessory/shoe/style ..for you..."  The same is true for any formalwear...