Wedding Woes
Options

More than 3 women in the world, so run! (TW: abusive behavior)

Dear Prudence, 

While I went away this summer to visit my sister for three weeks, as she had just had a new baby, I left my 9-month-old Australian Shepherd mix, Abbie, at home with my girlfriend. She insisted she wanted to do this for me, and refused all objections (I offered to send him to a boarding service since she rarely spends time with the puppy; we compromised and put him in a daycare three times a week). Well, it was a disaster.

Within the first week, I was fielding calls and texts about how the dog was too much to handle. I hired dog walkers and even considered cutting my visit to my newborn niece short. She had gotten so “fed up” with the puppy at one point that she admitted to hurting Abbie “and it felt good.” She also said she got “so mad” at Abbie, yelling at her a lot when she did something “bad.” I am devastated for my puppy, who was so neglected and mistreated. But, I am also devastated that this woman couldn’t step up to the plate for a young creature in her care. Being with my sister made me realize I am ready for a child, too. But if my girlfriend can’t even handle a sheepdog, how will she handle a baby? And who the heck HURTS a living being (“a little, one time”) and then feels GOOD?? Am I nuts for leaving her over this? I don’t want to say she’s an “unfit mother,” but I can’t shake the feeling it would be true. She is a very lovely person and cares for me deeply, but this reported violence is seriously disturbing.

—Am I in the Doghouse Forever?

Re: More than 3 women in the world, so run! (TW: abusive behavior)

• Options
    Nope, LW, this is seriously F'd up. Run away as fast as you can.

I cannot deal with people who abuse and mistreat animals. That's unforgivable in my book.
  • Options
    This person needs help and you need to GTFO
    "It felt good" is a siren, not a flag, that this WILL escalate and this WILL get worse.
  • Options
    Of course leave her immediately 
  • Options
    You know you need to leave her now. 
  • Options
    Break up now.  This is someone who lacks the capacity for caring for others. 
  • Options
    This is so fucked up. 
  • Options
    End the relationship yesterday and I'd be tempted to report her, since animal abuse is considered a felony.
  • Options
    This is a great reason to leave.

• Options
    As someone with a Australian Shepherd mix, I get that they can drive you nuts but a) you deal with it and 2) DON'T HURT THE POOR DOG!!.  I mean I've kicked my poor dog in the dark (the joys of a black dog) and felt awful for doing it by accident.  How can you do it on purpose and not feel anything but awful and looking immediately to get help to address this abusive behaviour?  

I do yell at my dog a lot though, but it is more of her freaking out downstairs and my yelling at her if she is okay and why is she freaking out.  Or when she is doing something that I need her to stop or she will hurt herself or the rabbits.  Somehow I doubt that is what this GF was doing.  

• Options
    Don't stay with someone who intentionally hurts your pet. What else is there to say?
  • Options
    I've never had a puppy (dog younger than one year) or a baby.  But it doesn't seem much of a stretch to say that a baby is a lot more work and frustration than a puppy.  Do you really want to roll those dice, LW?  I wouldn't.  I also could never look at someone the same way, knowing they had hurt an innocent animal.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker