Wedding Woes

Let it be and keeping donating the stuff.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2022 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence, 

My husband and I live in a one-bedroom apartment with our three girls. To be blunt, we can’t afford anything else (and our income is too high to afford assistance but I can’t quit my job without losing our insurance). We “walled” off the living room and put in bunk beds. Our next-door neighbor is very, very kind, but clueless. She loves to bargain hunt and bring back books, toys, and random crap to give to our girls.

When she asked at first, we didn’t see the harm. She had an eye for things that interested our daughters (including our difficult reader). She also got up at the crack of dawn for a month to drive my husband, our girls, and me to work and school. We had one car and it went kaput.

I genuinely like this lady, and I cannot afford to burn any bridges. But it is so much stuff! She is wasting her money because as soon as the shine wears off, the stuff gets tossed into a bag and taken to the charity shop. And she very much likes giving the girls gifts but not so much spending time with them (I offer for her to join us for dinner or go to the park and she always declines). She is very, very nice, but it is too much stuff! My husband tells me to let it be. They know me by name at the charity shop now. Help!

—The Neighbor Is Too Nice

Re: Let it be and keeping donating the stuff.

• Can you try gently suggesting things that you do need? Like, “hey Cheryl if you see a used homework desk can you let us know, you’ve been so generous finding toys but what the girls really need is a space for homework”. It may help you actually get something you need and recognize her wanting to help. 

Or just keep donating things your kids don’t use  
  • Can you try gently suggesting things that you do need? Like, “hey Cheryl if you see a used homework desk can you let us know, you’ve been so generous finding toys but what the girls really need is a space for homework”. It may help you actually get something you need and recognize her wanting to help. 

Or just keep donating things your kids don’t use  
    That would be my take too.  Given the close proximity my only concern is if she ever wants to see the things.  But does Cheryl think that you have a storage area like Mary Poppins' carpet bag?? 
  • I like that suggestion, Charlotte. be a little more pointed in what you want/need if she's going to buy stuff anyway, and keep donating regularly.