Wedding Woes

It's on you to apologize or else you'll continue to be iced out.

Dear Prudence, 

I just found out that my daughter-in-law is a sex worker and that my son participates with her. Although I don’t agree that this is an admirable career choice, they’re adults and can do as they please without my approval. She quit her government job to do this full-time. The problem I see is they have three daughters (ages 13, 10, and 4) that live in the apartment where they “conduct business” and my daughter-in-law does private sessions for other men. My concern is the kids, who absolutely know what is going on in their home. I’m appalled that they would expose their children to this behavior and worry about the impact on the girls. I checked, and what they’re doing is not illegal, but it sure seems immoral to me. By the way, neither of them is speaking to me, they have not allowed me to see the kids, and are posting horrible things about me not accepting their choices when I’ve done nothing wrong. I don’t know what to do and I miss the girls so much.

—MIL of AZ Sez Worker

Re: It's on you to apologize or else you'll continue to be iced out.

• mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 

I just found out that my daughter-in-law is a sex worker and that my son participates with her. Although I don’t agree that this is an admirable career choice, they’re adults and can do as they please without my approval. She quit her government job to do this full-time. The problem I see is they have three daughters (ages 13, 10, and 4) that live in the apartment where they “conduct business” and my daughter-in-law does private sessions for other men. My concern is the kids, who absolutely know what is going on in their home. I’m appalled that they would expose their children to this behavior and worry about the impact on the girls. I checked, and what they’re doing is not illegal, but it sure seems immoral to me. By the way, neither of them is speaking to me, they have not allowed me to see the kids, and are posting horrible things about me not accepting their choices when I’ve done nothing wrong. I don’t know what to do and I miss the girls so much.

—MIL of AZ Sez Worker

The first step in a healthy relationship is when you're able to admit that your choices are not the choices of others.

If this isn't illegal it makes me wonder what she's actually doing and if it's not sex but sex...adjacent?  

There's a whole lot of judging in the LW's letter and not a lot of looking to understand.  Unless the LW is looking to do that, I'm not sure what relationship I'd let her have with any kids.
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 

—MIL of AZ Sez Worker

The first step in a healthy relationship is when you're able to admit that your choices are not the choices of others.

If this isn't illegal it makes me wonder what she's actually doing and if it's not sex but sex...adjacent?  

There's a whole lot of judging in the LW's letter and not a lot of looking to understand.  Unless the LW is looking to do that, I'm not sure what relationship I'd let her have with any kids.
    @banana468 I’m thinking like an OnlyFans, or maybe something with strip teasing or Dom based.  

• levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence, 

—MIL of AZ Sez Worker

@banana468 I’m thinking like an OnlyFans, or maybe something with strip teasing or Dom based.  
    That's also what I was thinking.   Unless the kids are calling grandma saying, "Mommy keeps hurting the man downstairs and she told us not to say anything," then grandma needs to STFU and apologize.
  • The fact that she checked if it's illegal but then claims to have done nothing wrong isn't jiving for me. If they're not speaking to you, it's absolutely for a reason. 
  • The fact that she checked if it's illegal but then claims to have done nothing wrong isn't jiving for me. If they're not speaking to you, it's absolutely for a reason. 
    Maybe...maybe JUST maybe the MIL can't keep her mouth shut about her judgement and she's "entitled to her opinion" so that doesn't make her wrong and she's allowed to feel the way she wants.  Because she just can't help both her feelings or her lack of filter.

And that poor husband who's stuck.  Oh what's a poor old lady to do...

Yes!  That jumped out at me also.  What was checking if it was illegal all about?  Was the LW going to try and blackmail them to stop?  Call the police if they didn't?

At the very least, it would be to have another arrow in her sling to harass them about.

I was also thinking it was online sex work, like Only Fans, when I read the letter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why does LW act like this is in the home?

I feel like the mother is like a stripper or something too.

Even if she's a prostitute, it's not done at home. Like ... are kids well fed, clothed, etc? There is a spouse so obv kids aren't being put in dangerous situations

Even if she's a prostitute, it's not done at home. Like ... are kids well fed, clothed, etc? There is a spouse so obv kids aren't being put in dangerous situations
    Honestly it read to me as though they were doing something on Only Fans. Either way, none of the LW's business. 

It reads to me like it's also either on a webcam or people are coming over for some kind of session.

But with kids at ages of 13, 10 and 4, if this is replacing full time work I'd assume that the 4 yo is in daycare and the kids are likely in school.  I can't see this as mom's homeschooling in vinyl and the cat o'nine tails is used in between arithmetic lessons.
  • Or they live in Nevada?

They're in Arizona based on the LW's name. 
  • banana468 said:
    Or they live in Nevada?
    They're in Arizona based on the LW's name. 
    Lol clearly reading is hard for me.  Maybe they live on the county line?

Prostitution is only legal in Nevada at brothels and is highly regulated.  Street/online/private prostitution is still illegal.  I doubt those laws are enforced much.  But the MIL comment was about "legal". 

For more irony, it's totally illegal...brothel or not....in the two counties where Las Vegas and Reno/Carson City are in.  Which is probably 99% of Nevada's population, lol.  But I think the brothels set themselves up so they are just outside the county limits.  Mustang Ranch was one of the famous ones and I think it was about 90 minutes from Vegas.

I watched a documentary about the Midnight Bunny Ranch.  It was really interesting, not because of sex (it didn't show that) so much, but because it's such an unusual type of business.

One of the regulations I remember is the women have to be checked for STDs by a gyno on a weekly basis.  But the Bunny Ranch made it a fun day for their workers.  The gyno would go to the house on Tuesday mornings to perform an exam on all the women and, once that was done, they could dress up in pretty outfits and have a high tea for a few hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy that was my understanding as well.  While legal in Nevada it's not in Vegas.
  • I think I saw that documentary! 

Ok, I need more info.  I need to know what is going on in that household then!