Chit Chat

How you can reduce your wedding cost?

Every year, The Knot Real Weddings Study reveals the average wedding cost and more official data per state. About 15,000 couples across the country, who married between January 1 and December 31, 2021, participated in the study. Here my question is how do I get married on a low budget?

Re: How you can reduce your wedding cost?

• Realize that all you need to get married is someone to marry you, a license, and someone legally deputized to receive your vows/I-Do's in accordance with the laws of the municipality you live and potentially a witness(es) there-of as well.  The rest is bonus. 

That said, the second you invite a guest, they must be hosted properly.  The fancier you make things the more it's going to cost, and good hosting does NOT need to be fancy!  That said, things like DIY can many times end up costing you double or triple what simply hiring it out to a professional otherwise would and PLEASE be cognizant of your guests with mobility or other health issues (allergies/asthma/intolerances/etc.) along with things like weather anomalies for your particular region of the country if you even think of having an outdoor venue or simple things like access to bathrooms! I was at a wedding recently that had ONE bathroom stall for ~200 people, not handicap accessible, at an outdoor venue that was 100 yards on grass/mud/hilly terrain from where the events were all taking place and at least 15+ guests including the FOG with mobility issues and wheelchairs!  Then add what happens when alcohol is added to the mix for people using ONE said bathroom stall - some things can be overlooked/shrugged off, others, not so much, it's all about proper prior planning!  The venue may have been cheaper, but at what cost..
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Realize that all you need to get married is someone to marry you, a license, and someone legally deputized to receive your vows/I-Do's in accordance with the laws of the municipality you live and potentially a witness(es) there-of as well.  The rest is bonus. 

That said, the second you invite a guest, they must be hosted properly.  The fancier you make things the more it's going to cost, and good hosting does NOT need to be fancy!  That said, things like DIY can many times end up costing you double or triple what simply hiring it out to a professional otherwise would and PLEASE be cognizant of your guests with mobility or other health issues (allergies/asthma/intolerances/etc.) along with things like weather anomalies for your particular region of the country if you even think of having an outdoor venue or simple things like access to bathrooms! I was at a wedding recently that had ONE bathroom stall for ~200 people, not handicap accessible, at an outdoor venue that was 100 yards on grass/mud/hilly terrain from where the events were all taking place and at least 15+ guests including the FOG with mobility issues and wheelchairs!  Then add what happens when alcohol is added to the mix for people using ONE said bathroom stall - some things can be overlooked/shrugged off, others, not so much, it's all about proper prior planning!  The venue may have been cheaper, but at what cost..
    That's a piece of very good advice...