Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Vows at wedding reception

Hi ladies! My fiancé and I are having a traditional sikh ceremony in his temple. He is of sikh religion. It’s a beautiful religion that I love. However, I consider myself secular. The point of me telling you this is because I will not be having a Christian ceremony as I do not need one and I am perfectly happy with this one wedding ceremony. This ceremony will be in Hindi and translated for guests, however we cannot say our own vows during this ceremony. 

The most important part of this wedding to me is being able to say our own vows. 

We have our reception at 430 PM at a different location. I will be changing outfits and we will be doing a unity ceremony with my two children. So we will already be starting the reception with this ceremony before cocktail hour, dinner, & drinks. I am looking for suggestions on how I can incorporate us saying our vows either before or after this unity ceremony. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks so much!

Re: Vows at wedding reception

• Options
    Why don't you just say them during the unity ceremony?

• Options
    Ah825Ah825 member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited October 2022
    that that is what I need help with. How to put them in there. Before? After? During? 
  • Options
    Ah825 said:
    Hi ladies! My fiancé and I are having a traditional sikh ceremony in his temple. He is of sikh religion. It’s a beautiful religion that I love. However, I consider myself secular. The point of me telling you this is because I will not be having a Christian ceremony as I do not need one and I am perfectly happy with this one wedding ceremony. This ceremony will be in Hindi and translated for guests, however we cannot say our own vows during this ceremony. 

The most important part of this wedding to me is being able to say our own vows. 

We have our reception at 430 PM at a different location. I will be changing outfits and we will be doing a unity ceremony with my two children. So we will already be starting the reception with this ceremony before cocktail hour, dinner, & drinks. I am looking for suggestions on how I can incorporate us saying our vows either before or after this unity ceremony. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks so much!
    Well, While you are planning the wedding as per your husband's wish, So you can also ask for What you want.
  • Options
    I am….I am looking for suggestions on how to incorporated so it runs smoothly
  • Options
    Ah825 said:
    that that is what I need help with. How to put them in there. Before? After? During? 
    Since you don't say exactly what your unity ceremony entails, it is difficult for us to tell you. I would find a logical point in the ceremony and insert your vows there. I'm assuming there is some kind of officiant that could guide you in this.
  • Options
    Ah825 said:

Vows are between you and your husband.  I would say vows prior to including/involving your children in the unity ceremony.  Once you do that, most of what is said would seem to apply to the entire family. 

• Options
    I think it’s a great compromise- I’d say your vows at the start of the reception then lead into the unity ceremony with your children. That way it starts with your vows to each other then your whole family coming together.