Wedding Woes
Options

Seriously? Join them. Or stop complaining.

When my husband was in his early 20s, he was a drug addict (this was before I knew him). His parents intervened and sent him to an inpatient rehab center where he got clean and healthy. Part of the rehab program was physical fitness and his sponsor was really big into running and introduced him to a group of ex-addicts who ran. My husband took up running and really loved it and it is now a big part of his life. He credits running with helping him to stay clean. He chases PRs and harder distances and doesn’t go more than two days without running. On average, he runs about five to six days a week.

I’ve never really minded his running habit but now that we have kids, I find that it is excessive. He tries to limit his running so that it doesn’t interfere with parenting by running early in the mornings in the summer, spring, and early fall but when the days are shorter (like they are now) he doesn’t feel safe running in the mornings (he’s a black man) so his runs are pushed to the evenings after work. He’ll often push our toddler in a jogging stroller and have our school-age child bike along with him but I am frustrated to have our evenings disrupted by his need to run all the time. Sometimes I just want to have dinner when he gets home, not have to wait for him to finish his run. We have a really expensive treadmill he can run on after the kids go to bed but he says he really enjoys the fresh air.

The part that is really troubling for me is that when we argue about how much he runs, he says that running helps him stay clean. It’s been 12 years since he was in rehab, and I know that addicts are always in recovery, but I think he’s just traded one addiction in for another. When I tell him that, he says that might be true but at least it’s healthier and less impactful on our lives than heroin and a lot of former drug users find another activity to devote time to. He thinks that as long as it is not interfering with his parenting or doing household stuff, and that I have ample time to devote to my hobbies, that I shouldn’t be upset that he is so committed and obsessed with running. But I’m not obsessed with my hobbies! I don’t get antsy if I go 48 hours without SoulCycle. I don’t think he’s properly addressed his addiction. I tried to talk to his parents about it but my husband got upset. I went behind his back and his parents were distraught because they almost lost him during that time and don’t see how this is comparable. How can I get him to see he still needs help?

—It’s Still An Addiction

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seriously? Join them. Or stop complaining.

• Options
    LW, I think you need to go to a few meetings of your own so you understand what it's like to be the loved one of a person in recovery.

But this letter reads as, "The one good way my husband copes with his addiction is hindering my ability to have hobbies so what can I do to get him to continue with recovery through my version of what's right?"   Do you see why that may not be the best approach and by going over him to his parents you're not endearing yourself to your husband or in-laws? 

So much of this reads as entitled and supportive only when it's on your terms. 
  • Options
    Yikes on bikes. LW is totally out of line here. It seems like her only gripe is that she wants to have dinner right away and not have to wait? And the fact that she went to his parents behind his back? Wow. 
  • Options
    I think there's room for compromise.  LW is out of line with how she's handling it, but a couple times a week, H could run on the treadmill at night when kids go to bed.  Figure out a way for him to be able to do what he needs that fits a little better into the family schedule.
  • Options
    The only caveat I might give is if he is taking excessive time with his runs, but it doesn't sound like it.  Lots of people exercise outside of the home 5x/week or more.  This is probably a shorter time than if he went to the gym.

And he is including their kids with the activity.  That's awesome!  And teaching them good, exercise habits early.  The LW could spend more time with the family if they got on their bike or ran along with them, at least sometimes.  If that isn't their cup of tea, that's fine.  But stop complaining about a healthy habit that is also part of what keeps the H's addiction at bay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I feel like part of this letter is missing something that could be an important factor.

I know LW does soulcycle but is it possible LW is a tad jealous that their spouse does this almost daily?
    Maybe LW would feel a little better if they also had an hour daily to just decompress.

But I see what LW is concerned about. One addiction for another. I've heard of it, but I don't think this is it.
  • Options
    And even if this is trading one thing for another, nothing in what the LW is writing indicates that this is IMO a problem other than timing. 

If the LW also feels the need to work out for her own health then that's something that can also be brought up.    
  • Options
    He thinks that as long as it is not interfering with his parenting or doing household stuff, and that I have ample time to devote to my hobbies, that I shouldn’t be upset that he is so committed and obsessed with running. 

He's right! You've already said it's not interfering with his parenting or contributing around the house, and it doesn't interfere with your hobby time. You have no beef. In fact, he's taking the kids and freeing you up for an hour to do whatever you want solo! Most of the parents (especially moms, because patriarchy) in my life would be delighted to have their partners take the kids out for an activity after work. 

I'm thinking a counselor is in order. LW is completely refusing to understand addiction and recovery and is acting like the H shouldn't need an activity 12 years sober. LW is also being pretty controlling with going to the in-laws and freaking out about the him wanting to run in the evenings for a few months out of the year. It almost seems like LW is jealous that H has something he loves.  
  • Options
    Team husband here. He’s 3/4 of the year he’s getting up early to run. For what 12 weeks he’s concerned about his physical safety so he TAKES THE KIDS WITH HIM. 

LW is way out of line for going to his parents and saying that he still has a problem with addiction. I’m sorry but drugs is not the same as running that he’s doing the majority of the time when it has zero impact on his parenting. 

If LW really can’t deal I’d say get marriage counseling but I’d bet the counselor says LW needs to shift her mindset on this because he’s doing as much as he can to accommodate her here. 
  • Options
    I will say that if DH went to my parents about something that I did in a way to get me to stop doing it, that would be a fight - a MAJOR fight.  

If this guy is LW's equal then you don't call mom and dad over it. 
  • Options
    Maybe LW needs to get a membership to a gym for him to run during the winter months...  nsjs...  Many have 2-hour drop-offs for the kids so he can go run without the (reasonable) fear of being out in the darkness...

As for the rest, LW clearly doesn't understand addiction AT ALL and sure - it may be an addiction to go out running, but he isn't going to get a DUI running a marathon!  Having kids doesn't change the healthy mental and physical activity outlet benefit that he's getting from being involved with running.  To him it's like brushing his teeth, it's internalized..