Wedding Woes

Awww, a rare sweet one.

Dear Prudence, 

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 14 years. We are both in our mid-40s. Early on in our relationship, he confided in me that he has a thing for manicures. As we discussed it, and he became more comfortable talking about it, I learned there were a few facets to his nail preferences. For one, he wanted me to maintain longer-length nails on a regular basis. Prior to dating him, I was getting my nails done so this didn’t seem like such a big deal. However, he wanted me to maintain a longer length than I was accustomed to. I figured I would give it a try and after some time and struggles, I became used to it and haven’t given it much thought since.

The second facet of this was that he liked to get his nails done. Apparently, a couple of times a year he would go to a nail salon to get his nails done a long length and keep them on for a few days at a time. This was a very secretive thing he would do and none of his friends or family knew about it. I did not have much of a problem with it. So for the last several years we’ve been together, he would find time a few times a year to get them done for a few days at a time. I was always supportive and would do what I could to make him comfortable during his “nail adventures.” I could tell that it weighed emotionally on him because he was conflicted as to whether he should or should not be getting his nails done. “It isn’t manly” are his words. Again, I have always supported and encouraged him.

Fast forward, recently he has expressed to me that he would like to maintain having his nails done all the time. He said that he is not looking to have them done at long lengths like mine, something more conservative. But I think they will be feminine looking nonetheless. And while I personally don’t have a problem with it, I worry about what his friends and family will say or think. I also know that it will create a huge mental weight on him. But in the end, it’s what he really wants to do. He has asked me to support him. He said he wants it to be the new “norm” for him. Do you have any thoughts on this and can you offer any suggestions on how we could both deal with family and friends? I just want him to be happy, which in turn will make me happy.

—Boyfriend’s Nails

Re: Awww, a rare sweet one.

• If you think your family will be shocked, I'd give them a headsup.  "Hey, Bob has decided to start doing his nails, I just wanted to let you know that I love this for him and support him and don't want any hassles for us about it" or your family version of that.  Then, help support and prep him to do the same for his.  Same with friends.  Then, if someone has an issue, they either hopefully keep their mouths shut or remove themselves from your lives.
  • My dad use to get pedicures. His nails were very thick and he argued that he could do regular maintenace but sometimes a professional doing it just felt better. No polish.
  • She's always been supportive and encouraging of this, which already makes it a lot easier for Bob.  That's probably a big part of why he now feels comfortable making the nails his new norm.

He already knows there might be feedback from friends and family.  The LW can help with that by shutting down rude comments and be willing to go NC/LC with people who don't respect his choices.

However, I hope Bob has also been supportive of the LW's choices.  The prickles went up a little when she talked about he wanted her to wear longer-length nails than what she normally did, on a regular basis.

If he said it was a preference, but didn't put any pressure on her, then I don't see an issue with it.  But her wording made it sound more like that was what he told her to do.  Even if she doesn't mind, I don't like it.  Not cool.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My dad use to get pedicures. His nails were very thick and he argued that he could do regular maintenace but sometimes a professional doing it just felt better. No polish.
    DH *loves* a professional pedi and I love that he'll go with me to get our nails done together from time to time.  We may actually go next Friday because I'll be due for a new manicure and it's been a few months since he got a pedi.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    My dad use to get pedicures. His nails were very thick and he argued that he could do regular maintenace but sometimes a professional doing it just felt better. No polish.
    DH *loves* a professional pedi and I love that he'll go with me to get our nails done together from time to time.  We may actually go next Friday because I'll be due for a new manicure and it's been a few months since he got a pedi.  
    My H goes too. I love that it's gotten to where there are always at least a few men in the nail salon. H likes his painted clear, but he's toying with doing a color during winter when he never wears sandals. 

I love that this is getting more mainstream (even my grandpa got pedis), but LW is right, a guy with long fingernails is still going to draw obnoxious comments. Maybe gen z will normalize this too. 
  • My coworker's hubby got a pedi with dark polish because their daughter wanted to go get her nails done - he decided to do it too :)

Tbh M gets his nails done by me a lot {as requested by BK} but I also will often do a mini mani/pedi because I'm there.
    Currently M's nails are pink and purple - think a bit bright than pastel but still good. BK has matching nails