Wedding Woes

2nd to Last Monday!

It might be my last Monday.  I'm seriously considering bouncing next week, but I'm not going to leave my co-workers and colleagues in a lurch, so it depends on what work I get finalized this week.

My boys won!!!  Russell and Hamilton took 1-2 (Mercedes) FINALLY in the Grand Prix this weekend.  I was at my mother's house b/c we were getting Christmas decorations down and waiting for the pharmacy to reopen to get her flu shot.  I forgot that my father had a big sports package, so I had the race up on a 55" TV.  My poor mother: my jumping up and down, yelling at the screen about pit stops, soft tires, team orders, and "please don't wreck" and then running in circles around the house cheering, was probably shocking as all get out.  I was happy for Russell winning his first Grand Prix although I really wanted Hamilton to get his win.  Hopefully next week and what bittersweet justice if Hamilton won at Abu Dhabi.

Otherwise, it was a easy weekend.  Built my new table on Saturday and placed some of my art on the wall.  My new rugs and chairs should arrive this week and I'm finished for awhile on big purchases for the place and concentrating on getting all of my art up, some new art, and some other small decor items.  I also need to decide what sort of small vacuum I want to get, b/c I'm going to have quite a few rugs now.

How was everyone's weekend?

Re: 2nd to Last Monday!

• Weekend was OK.  I got the crud last week and scheduled a Covid test on Friday after work.  We laid low Friday night and had breakfast for supper.  

Test results Saturday morning showed I was negative.  We had plans with friends, but I wasn't feeling well and they had slippery roads so we cancelled.  I also cancelled on being worship leader on Sunday .  I slept and caught up on TV.  We started Alaska Daily (CBS) which is good.

Sunday I actually showered and started on laundry mountain.  We did recliner church and then football.  Holy Moly!  Both our teams (Vikes & Packers) went into OT.  The Vikings game was crazy.  A work friend brought over homemade soup and we ate that after the games.  

Feeling better today but still all stuffed up and snotty.  It's snowing and we're predicted to get 2"-4" over the next couple of days.  Hopefully, most will melt.
  • I'm mildly annoyed that we have to get BK so much stuff.
    MIL got an advent calendar that you put stuff in - but it's actually too fkn small for most stuff. This is not even the same as stocking.

I'll probably do treats and things to do
    Like driving to see xmas lights, or going swimming, or trampoline park. Etc

I'm not buying much until after tomorrow when Disney on Ice tickets come for sale.

We ended up buying a new tree. It's dark green and has fiber optic lights. Not a lot, so we could also put more lights on and not overwhelm it.
    Our ornaments are fairly colourful so a dark tree will make them pop.
  • Weekend was all right.  DH was battling cold symptoms all last week and into the weekend.  He went to medcheck because he leaves for a work trip tomorrow and was concerned about a sinus/ear infection.  He also did a covid test.  It's just a virus.  He said he was feeling better today. 

We had a mostly low-key Saturday.  Got stuff done around the house and also had a decent amount of downtime.  We had friendsgiving yesterday and it was a lot of fun.  Plus, we had a ton of delicious food. 

DefConn now has cold symptoms. I have that icky feeling behind my nose and my throat is a little sore from the drip.  Ugh.  I know it's the stupid weather (70's last week and it was 16 when we woke up today) and it's that time of year.  I already told my boss that she might get a 'hey, working from home' message from me tomorrow or Wednesday if DefConn or I get worse. 

SSDD otherwise. I need another weekend.  :: yawn :: 
  • Had a mixture of great and stressful weekend. The Tina Turner musical was AMAZING, seriously go see it if you can it was so good. But my mom texted (she was watching the baby) that she was hearing really loud noises coming from the living room (where all the construction is happening). She could t see anything and the heat was working fine so I didn’t leave the show. It happened again at 3 in the morning. H was at camp and just sort of dismissed it. 

Saturday we did the zoo and took it easy in the afternoon. Baby M LOVES the zoo so much. The noise happened again right after M went to sleep and I texted H repeatedly and he finally called. I checked all the tools and an air compressor was plugged in and recharging itself. Loudly. 

Sunday we woke up and the heat wasn’t working. We went to a trampoline park with my best friend and her twins and it was a great time! H finally came back in the afternoon and sort of fixed the heat. I’m so annoyed this is the second time in 2 weeks he left and the heat went out. 
  • @MissKittyDanger is it the type of Advent calendar that has doors you can open?  We have one and I put a candy in for every day.    That's the "after dinner" treat and it's usually a Hershey kiss. 

Chiquita sounds like she's trying to quit a habit of 2 packs of Marlboro reds.  I had to pick her up from school and will covid test her soon.  I think she has a cold and possibly a mild RSV so we'll see if she can rebound soon.

The weekend was good!  I took off Friday with DH and we bought a sofa, loveseat and chair set from the local discount furniture retailer that he picked up Saturday.  It's now set up and our living room looks like we're adults living in it!

Saturday night the kids slept over my brother's house while DH and I saw Goose and Trey Anastasio's band.   It was a good show that wasn't entirely my taste (close though!) and we had a nice night kid-free.  Sunday we had a family dinner at my brother and his FI's house and I met his FI's mom and dad finally.  The place is cute and I'm looking forward to more family time.  

Now I need to bounce between work and a sick kiddo. 
  • Moving half the stuff at my cube on Friday didn't take as long as I thought, so that was great.  The carpets at work were replaced over the weekend and now I get to spend Monday moving my stuff back (ugh).  I was impressed it got completed, lol.  That's what I was promised, but you never know.  I wouldn't have been surprised to have walked into a construction zone.

We went out to dinner with friends on Saturday.  That was a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, they are moving back home to WA at the end of the month.  They know we are moving sometime soon and we were all joking that we needed to pack in more restaurants before moving, lol.

I notified all my tenants yesterday and this morning that we are selling the properties.  One big task done.  Our realtor and my H are visiting all of them tomorrow, so she can measure the square footage.  After that, we'll have the comps discussion (eek!).  It's my biggest worry, but it is what it is.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My cough is never going away. I sound like I smoke four packs a day. I am bracing myself for the next few weeks at work. It’s been rough. Otherwise we had a very productive weekend. Friday I picked up our favorite Mediterranean food and went to Costco. Saturday I was able to get my Dad’s car washed, I cleaned the house, did all of the laundry finally, and visited my parents. Sunday I was wiped out so we spent the day being lazy which was nice. 

I hope G is okay @Casadena

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2022
    @levioosa, I read, at first “my cousin is never going away” and I thought I had missed a post about an unwanted houseguest.  Lol.
    @MissKittyDanger, what about dollar store treats/trinkets? 
    @short+sassy, getting your good restaurants in is no laughing matter.  Get on it, girl! NOLA is a good eat’n place!
    @VarunaTT, so close! So very close!

Friday was great:  went to the improv to see Jon Lovitz.  He was OK, but I wanted him to be funnier.  Be. More. Funny! It did give me the idea to “host” nye in the group I’m co-organizer for so I’m going to ask her if I can post it.  The meetup group I went with for Jon Lovitz, I suggested to the organizer to do the NYE comedy show - but she said it was to early to think about (IT IS NOT!!!!) and her group likes dinner and dancing and music for NYE.
    Last year I was dating that guy, who stayed at home because he drank too much and was depressed about NYE (or was with someone else, who really knows?), and I left that night open for him incase he’d call to do something.  I’m not one for live music/dancing but that was a boring and sad NYE for me and I’ll go out and do THAT before staying home alone again!
    edit; because words are hard

• Busy weekend for me. Friday my parents came over for dinner and we planned the Thanksgiving menu and I made my shopping list. Saturday was a long walk with the dog, a bunch of chores and errands, and then went to a game night on the other side of town. It was fun, but I don't think we'll be going all the way out there again for a bit. Yesterday I did a long run with my sister (my longest run ever!), then went to my niece's birthday party. 

I'm hoping today stays chill at work so I can relax tonight. 
  • Weekend was good. We went to Dayton to visit DS2 on Saturday. The snow coming down the whole trip made for interesting driving. It stopped and cleared by the time we headed home in the evening. We drove down to Jungle Jim's in northern Cincy. We bought a ton of stuff for Christmas along with some cheese for book club, which I'm hosting on Thursday. On the way back to his apartment, we stopped at the outlet mall where I bought DD's Christmas present. Slowly but surely I'm getting Christmas  presents bought. 

This morning I took my car in to get an estimate from the collision place our insurance company requires we get an estimate. Friday afternoon I got the estimate from our dealership. Ugh. I won't be able to get into either place for a couple of weeks and it will take at least two weeks to get all the repairs done. Luckily, our insurance does cover a rental.

I'm trying to get motivated to clean in prep for book club. So far I'm just sitting here snuggling a puppy.
  • @levioosa, I hope you are feeling better soon!  This was a few years ago, but I had a deep and dry cough for months.  It had come on when I'd had a cold.  The cold went away after a few days and I felt fine after that, but I don't know why the cough lasted for so long. It was weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • G is positive for RSV and they've been monitoring a fever.  I'm guessing they'll keep him a couple days but hoping i'm wrong and i'll see him tonight :)  
  • Ugh sorry @Casadena…hope it’s mild and he turns a corner soon 
  • Poor G!  Fingers crossed he's on the up and up soon.  

• I'm so sorry @Casadena.  I hear RSV is horrible this year.  
  • WHAT.THE.F**K!!!!

Apparently they just hired ANOTHER person for the Procurement (my) department.  The last person they hired already doesn't have enough to do.  Whatever.

"We need to be prepared for when ABC and XYZ project start.  They will start with a roar and we will be slammed".

Except those projects probably aren't starting for a few months.  And I doubt we'll need four people, even when it does start ramping up.

Okay, rant over.  I'm just frustrated with always feeling pushed aside.  The other department I work in (Steel) will supposedly get really busy at around the same time.  I hope so because it would be nice to only do that work and get out of Procurement completely, except as a back-up.  I'm more appreciated in that department and like the work better.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Poor G - @Casadena I hope it's over quickly.

• @banana468 nah drawers.

@CharmedPam I'll probably have to take a drawer with me. They're so awkward sizing 

It's this. Which MIL got because she's doing the 24th every year as a pandora charm - to which I told her she could just do it in stocking ... but nope *eye roll*

Woodland Advent Calendar at L.L. Bean (llbean.ca)
  • @Casadena oh no! :( Hopefully G recovers quick. I'm pretty sure BK had RSV last year but they didn't say specifically {but she had some kind of respiratory virus}
  • @banana468 nah drawers.

@CharmedPam I'll probably have to take a drawer with me. They're so awkward sizing 

It's this. Which MIL got because she's doing the 24th every year as a pandora charm - to which I told her she could just do it in stocking ... but nope *eye roll*

I actually think that's really cute.  The drawers are similar to our doors on the wooden one I have.    My kids like to fight over who gets the odd days and who gets the even ones and our 24th is bigger so it holds more chocolate.  They also look to be a size that will hold a Rocher candy but as someone who loathes the extra junk in the house, I like that we use candy so it's fun, Christmas and not extra clutter.

The only concern I'd bring to your MIL's attention is how good is BK's impulse control??  If that charm is in there the entire month is it wrapped so she can't spoil the surprise?  If my kids knew that there was a wrapped gift for them for the entire month of December in reaching distance it would not last..
  • @Casadena, I'm glad to hear G can at least come home.  I'm sure that's easier for you all and he will be more comfortable.  I hope he feels well soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 nah drawers.

I actually think that's really cute.  The drawers are similar to our doors on the wooden one I have.    My kids like to fight over who gets the odd days and who gets the even ones and our 24th is bigger so it holds more chocolate.  They also look to be a size that will hold a Rocher candy but as someone who loathes the extra junk in the house, I like that we use candy so it's fun, Christmas and not extra clutter.

The only concern I'd bring to your MIL's attention is how good is BK's impulse control??  If that charm is in there the entire month is it wrapped so she can't spoil the surprise?  If my kids knew that there was a wrapped gift for them for the entire month of December in reaching distance it would not last..
    Honestly we haven't really done it before - we'd probably do it at the end of the day.
    The charm will likely be there around middle of the month {depends on delivery} and it's in a little pandora tie bag.

BK doesn't really understand the concept - which works in our favour lol

It is cute but I have to solo fill the boxes - plus get stocking stuffer for her. It feels like more hassle than it's worth. BK won't know it's from MIL - she'll think it's from us, and I wish MIL would put in her stocking instead
  • I helped my sister move this weekend.  It was a lot of work, but happy that I could help.  It would have been a nightmare for her to do it with just her, her husband, and the three boys.  She's moved to the country, so I hope she is happy there.  It is a much nicer house than what she had before, but much farther away from things.  Only ten minutes out of town though, so it could  be much worse for them.  

• banana468 said:
    @banana468 nah drawers.

Honestly we haven't really done it before - we'd probably do it at the end of the day.
    The charm will likely be there around middle of the month {depends on delivery} and it's in a little pandora tie bag.

BK doesn't really understand the concept - which works in our favour lol

It is cute but I have to solo fill the boxes - plus get stocking stuffer for her. It feels like more hassle than it's worth. BK won't know it's from MIL - she'll think it's from us, and I wish MIL would put in her stocking instead
    Yeah - I think if BK doesn't get it now she will.  My kids are asking when it's time for the Elf to visit (Chiquito is a believer) and they still know that Advent Calendar = fight over chocolate.  And I think it's odder than anything for something in your house to be used for something from someone else.  

FWIW, not the same thing but we had family members in our parents' generation trying to tell our kids that "Santa stopped at our house early or late" depending on when we exchanged gifts.  We nicely asked that they not do this because it's explained OVER AND OVER that the big guy leaves on Christmas Eve and delivers Christmas Day and why would he go to other places especially early when he isn't supposed to?  As kids get older they question and that's goin to be a huge one of logistics when they start to wonder what's going on.   We understood the desire and enthusiasm to keep Christmas going but told them to get the credit for their own shopping and we'd keep a tradition going for them.    We also live close to the IL's but there's no way that I'd agree to big Christmas decorations in my home that I don't get to use at my own discretion.  I'm so there with you - into the stocking!
  • @MissKittyDanger - buy a bag of candy/snacks/stickers and randomly fill the boxes all at one time.  Then put the calendar in a place she can't reach, pull it down at the same time each day and let her open the appropriate drawer.