Wedding Woes
Options

Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

Congrats if you have today off also.  Myself, not quite so lucky, but my half-day Friday moves to today so not too bad.

My H and I do have our weekly Costco scan to get done.  But we should be able to knock it out today, since I get off work early and can devote more hours to it.  Whereas usually it's dragged out over two days.

But once I get home from scanning, it will be a glorious 4 days off!  I want to use the extra time to get a lot of work done around the house.  Tossing a lot of stuff, so we can get trimmed down to a minimum.

A new city has entered the mix for our potential move.  Ocala, FL.  Initially, I'd been no on FL.  I don't want to end up in an insurance nightmare again.  But Ocala is in the middle of FL and not near the coast.  My Googling says the average property insurance premium for Ocala is $1,357/year. so not bad.  Though I do need to do more research on that.

I was shocked at the ROI for short-term rentals there.  Good weather year round, so that's another plus.  It is a smaller city that I would prefer to live in, so that's a con.  But a "medium" con.  "Blah" for job opportunities and the jobs that do exist are lower pay than average.  But that's more a safety net and (hopefully) not a need.  I also might be able to change my current job to WFH.  They're starting to come around to that and, if it means losing me, I think they'd let me.  Though I am definitely not counting on that until I talk to them.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

• Options
    Hope today flies by for everyone working! 

I took PTO today and Friday so I have a 5 day weekend. I’m currently drinking me hot coffee snuggled under a blanket doing nothing productive. I have a few errands to run but I have a few more glorious minutes of no one needing me to do anything! 
  • Options
    Happy Thanksgiving Eve!

I'm working and waiting for the cleaning service to come.  DH & I both have off the rest of the week.  We have a couple of things planned each day so it should be a nice time.
  • Options
    Not thanksgiving here but likely (unintentionally) partaking in Black Friday. M & I are doing BK's xmas shopping on Sunday and Toys R Us has black friday weekend deals *sigh*

Anyways BK is home - she woke up coughing so bad. She had meds but she's coughing up stuff, so at least that's good. She managed to spit some out but she got sick while M was in a meeting. :(

I'm not surprised, she woke up in a mood - she was getting dressed and her shirt was messed up and she just started crying.
    Tbh it was a good thing because it was way past the alarm :\ lol
  • Options
    I worked Monday and I have to work Friday, but I took off yesterday and today.  I need to clean bathrooms and wipe down my fridge inside and out. I also need to make rolls and homemade cranberry sauce.  I made cranberry bread and cookies yesterday. 

IDK if SIL/BIL/nephews are going to make it for Thanksgiving.  They've been sick.  They were supposed to come tonight, but they said they'll see how they feel tomorrow.  It will suck if they can't make it. 

I'm sitting here on my work computer moving some cases around for my team.  I need to get off my ass and get my chores done so I can do some stitching this afternoon.  I got one pillowcase done and started on a second.  And I have a couple of other projects lined up that I need to do, especially since one is a Christmas gift.  

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!  I'm thankful for this group.  :) 
  • Options
    @MissKittyDanger, poor BK!  It seems like she has been in and out of sickness/not feeling well for a few weeks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy kids are germ incubators I swear
  • Options
    Today started off really good with taking my trainer and workout buddy horse back riding. Then we sat around and chatted  for about an hour. 
    I had a rare quiet moment where DH and DD were both napping before I had to pick DS up from nursery. 
    After I got back from doing that, DH tells me that he got a job offer from a company here, kind of. It was the call to see about his salary expectations and what they could do. They would still need to do a security check (which he passed numerous times) and make an official offer which could take a few weeks. Which is when we are supposed to leave. He has been doing interviews with a company for a remote position in the states but who knows if that will turn into an offer. DH obviously wants my input on what to do and I am afraid this curve ball is coming a little too late in the game. 
  • Options
    @missJeanLouise - Wow, that's tough since it's so last minute!  Hoping you have enough info soon to make a great decision for your family.
  • Options
    @missJeanLouise, ugh!  Even if the job offer came in on time, would you all even be able to suddenly stay?  I assume you've already given notice where you all currently live. But if they haven't found a new tenant yet, maybe?  Or is the rental market loose enough you all could quickly find something else?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I’m also very thankful for this group.  Love ya’ll and thanks for keeping me entertained.
    sorry BK is in a continuous bout of sickness
    @short+sassy Ocola sounds great but the job market. Unless you can get wfh? Sounds perfect actually.
    @missJeanLouise you kinda had the mindset to move back and now there’s the possibility of staying.  Do you want that? Or do you think this is the time to stay?

i’m working but wfh.  We technically get off at 3, but it’s not that busy.  It’s a 2 day workweek. Yay!

as far as black friday shopping deals - I’ve been hitting them all week. There is no use to even go out anymore? Everything’s online and everything’s happening even before thanksgiving now.  

• Options
    Thankful for you all! 

@missJeanLouise I hate when curveballs like that happen. And they always seem to occur when everything is finally settling at the end. Good vibes to you for whatever you decide. 

I hope everyone who is under the weather feels better! 

Work today and it’s going to be miserable. We are in the middle of the most (unnecessarily) disorganized move to a new hall. Of course they aren’t blocking off the schedule so we’re supposed to be seeing 45 patients with two exam rooms that are actually functioning. And we only have three support staff today. 

Otherwise just getting ready for the holiday. I finished 70% of my Christmas shopping last night. It was all stuff that won’t be on sale for Black Friday but oof, the wallet was in pain. At one point the bank froze my card because they thought it was fraud from my location (not a usual one for me) and so many purchases in a row. Nope. Just me. Lol. I also caved and bought the bougiest toaster oven and I am so excited about it. My old one died last month and we were so sad. It served us really well. 

• Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. @short+sassy you would be aghast at how the rental market works here. Realtors won't even show you places unless you are supposed to move within a month. But that works out for us because we can see a place and move in the same week. DH says he is going to submit the requested paperwork and see what happens. The HR lady said she could have an offer by Monday. He also has another interview with the US company on Monday night so we will see. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the support everyone. @short+sassy you would be aghast at how the rental market works here. Realtors won't even show you places unless you are supposed to move within a month. But that works out for us because we can see a place and move in the same week. DH says he is going to submit the requested paperwork and see what happens. The HR lady said she could have an offer by Monday. He also has another interview with the US company on Monday night so we will see. 
    An offer letter on Monday would be great!  Good luck to you all, however it shakes out.  I'm glad there's been so much interest in his resume.

I'm not necessarily surprised that realtors don't do showings unless the move is soon.  Just was more concerned for you all if it's a tight market where it's hard to find a rental.  But sounds like it isn't like that, so at least it's nothing to worry about if you all stay.

We do open house showing so, whomever wants to come can come.  But I won't hold a house for someone for longer than the end of the next month.  So up to 6-7 weeks.  And I give preference to applicants that can move in the soonest (all other things equal).

Every once in awhile, I'll get an out-of-state inquiry where they ask a few questions.  And then they lower the boom that they aren't moving to New Orleans until 3-6 months into the future.  WTF? Then why are you bothering me?  But what I actually say is it won't be available X months from now.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    An offer letter on Monday would be great!  Good luck to you all, however it shakes out.  I'm glad there's been so much interest in his resume.

I'm not necessarily surprised that realtors don't do showings unless the move is soon.  Just was more concerned for you all if it's a tight market where it's hard to find a rental.  But sounds like it isn't like that, so at least it's nothing to worry about if you all stay.

We do open house showing so, whomever wants to come can come.  But I won't hold a house for someone for longer than the end of the next month.  So up to 6-7 weeks.  And I give preference to applicants that can move in the soonest (all other things equal).

Every once in awhile, I'll get an out-of-state inquiry where they ask a few questions.  And then they lower the boom that they aren't moving to New Orleans until 3-6 months into the future.  WTF? Then why are you bothering me?  But what I actually say is it won't be available X months from now.  
    I guess I was just used to places where you would have your next place lined up before you would give your 30 day notice to your landlord. So in order to do that you would start looking a month or two ahead of that. Here we have to give a 60 day notice but you can't get anyone to show you anything that early... So you tell your landlord you aren't staying but you have no idea where you are going. It is so strange to me.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2022
    levioosa said:

Otherwise just getting ready for the holiday. I finished 70% of my Christmas shopping last night. It was all stuff that won’t be on sale for Black Friday but oof, the wallet was in pain. At one point the bank froze my card because they thought it was fraud from my location (not a usual one for me) and so many purchases in a row. Nope. Just me. Lol. I also caved and bought the bougiest toaster oven and I am so excited about it. My old one died last month and we were so sad. It served us really well. 
    Wait these sales after T-giving were meant to buy for other people?  Concept is lost on me…

So far I have some lipstains from wonderskin, lane bryant has their bras back to $25 each and colorstreet is doing a buy 1 get 1 free till Friday.  

• Options

I guess I was just used to places where you would have your next place lined up before you would give your 30 day notice to your landlord. So in order to do that you would start looking a month or two ahead of that. Here we have to give a 60 day notice but you can't get anyone to show you anything that early... So you tell your landlord you aren't staying but you have no idea where you are going. It is so strange to me.
    I hear ya.  I think it's a little more time on each side in the US.  Can still be hard, but not as floundering when you're pretty much guaranteed to give notice before having another place lined up.

In my area, a tenant giving a 30-day notice is standard.  Though a rental property owner could require 60 days, if that's written in the lease.  I know in some parts of the country, a 60 day notice is more typical.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    BIL/SIL/nephews aren't coming because they have the flu.  :(

Youngest nephew had a fever of over 105 and was complaining of severe stomach pain so BIL took him to the ER last night.  They checked him out for appendicitis or other internal issues and he was cleared for that, thankfully.  

They may try to come next weekend when everyone is better.  

Flu is rampant right now, so get those flu shots y'all.  I've heard Flu A is particularly bad, especially with a high fever and gastro issues.