Wedding Woes
Options

Apologize and get a hotel next time.

Dear Prudence,

Is it wrong to do sex acts in someone’s house? My boyfriend “Leo” and I (two men) stayed at my grandparents’ house for Thanksgiving weekend. It was really crowded and we were on an air mattress in the walk-in pantry. The house is way out in the country, so a hotel was not an option. A few older people pretended Leo and I were just friends, but everyone who really mattered liked him, and was happy I’ve been with someone so long (we met during the pandemic so this is his first time meeting the family). It went well, but he’s an introvert so by the last day he was pretty stressed. We were awake before everyone else, and … this isn’t How to Do It, so let’s just say I decided to help him out.

My aunt burst in the pantry looking for something and caught us. I was mostly under the blanket, but it was still obvious. She raised the whole house yelling. My grandparents were a little exasperated but think it comes with the territory of hosting. My mom said it was rude but assured me she’d be equally disappointed if Leo was “Leah.” My dad thinks we shouldn’t have done it because the door doesn’t lock. My older sister and brother-in-law defended me and think my aunt should have knocked if the space was being used as a bedroom. Most people took the opinion “we’re all adults here, let’s just let it go,” but my aunt and uncle went on about immorality until my grandpa yelled at them.

We’re supposed to go see them again at Christmas. Do I need to apologize to my grandparents? How do I deal with homophobic remarks? In the holiday planning chat, my aunt has already suggested we stay in separate rooms but none of the straight couples have to do that.

— Wrong Place, Wrong Time

Re: Apologize and get a hotel next time.

• Options
    If the grandparents aren't upset, everyone else can STFU.  They were the hosts and seem to be the actual adults in the room. If they were upset, I guess I'd say apologize, but I don't see why 2 consenting adults who are in a relationship need to apologize for engaging in adult acts behind a closed door in the wee hours of the morning.

I guarantee this has to do with internalized homophobia on top of everything else.
  • Options
    For me this is a “we’re all adults, move on”. Your aunt is absolutely being homophobic by suggesting you get separate bedrooms next time but maybe making sure you don’t have to sleep in the pantry isn’t totally out of line either. 

If your grandparents (the actual hosts) don’t care then I don’t think you need an apology. 
  • Options
    1st of all - aunt should have knocked, someone is sleeping there

2nd - the doing stuff in someone else's home is arguable. M & I have done that a few times, so I'm not against it but it's not for everyone
    {namely a time M & were staying in a cabin with IL's, BIL & SIL and BK - BK was asleep in our room, no one else was there, we had quickie in bathroom}

3rd - it seems like LW has an understanding that some of this is homophobia, and it's good that those who matter don't care.

4th - I actually feel bad for grandparents because they're likely accepting of LW and Leo but have to now deal with a situation that blew up while it shouldn't have.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2022
    kerbohl said:
    I don't care if it is a pantry, if someone is sleeping in there .... well, don't even knock, wait until they wake up so you don't disturb them.  Even if we ignore the blatant homophobia happening here, just doing that is rude.  Could the thing in the pantry not wait until everyone was up?
    She really needed a poptart though 

• Options
    Aunt is rude full stop.  The fact that she wants these people to sleep in separate places is a sign and quite frankly if it's not her home she can STFU. 

I think sleeping in a common area means you may need to wake up early but that means that all of you needs to be vertical and not just part of you.  That's part of what you sort of figure out ahead of time so that the younger and earlier riser gets the common space.

But Aunt is the one who honestly owes the apology IMO.  Unless it's a known thing like Aunt Karen needs to eat first thing in the morning so let her in the pantry then Aunt Karen should have grabbed her snack last night BEFORE bed so she'd have something and then she didn't wake up the people in the common space.  And when you're in the common space you owe it to the other guests to get up early.  I know it would be a horrible idea to put my H there knowing that he does not like to be woken up early but FIL would be up at 5 AM so have at it.  

I don't think that the act itself is a great idea in common space because of the oops potential and not due to who is doing it.  
  • Options
    I'm still processing they were sleeping in the pantry.

I'm super jealous because I don't have a pantry room at all.  Much less one large enough for TWO people to sleep in it.

But then I go back to.  Two people were sleeping...in a pantry.  So weird.  Was the house so packed that everyone else was already using the couch and the living room floor?  Or was the pantry preferred because it has a door?  These are the questions I need answers to.

But, yes.  The aunt really sucked for a lot of reasons.  That's an as quiet as possible, "Oh shit!  Oops!", as she quickly shuts the door.  Of course, she was terrible for her homophobia.  But she was also rude to everyone else in the house.

Don't wake me up at 'o dark thirty... and on a holiday, no less...because two consenting adults in a relationship are having sex.  I care about my sleep.  I don't care about that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm super jealous because I don't have a pantry room at all.  Much less one large enough for TWO people to sleep in it.

I’d love it.  I bet it’s super dark and super sound proof.  Not so private, as we learned…..

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I’d love it.  I bet it’s super dark and super sound proof.  Not so private, as we learned…..
    See, it sounds almost oppressive to me.  I think it would be stuffy with no airflow and I'd be hot.  I'd have to leave the door open to get some relief. 

Also, I read this so quickly that I didn't register the situation.  The title isn't so great.  Aunt is a dick and the LW didn't really do anything wrong.   

But I'd have hesitation doing anything with DH if I were sleeping in a 'public' room with family all around.  It would be like screwing in a loft or something. 

But aunt should have backed out and closed the damn door.  Her making it a BFD she had to tell the whole house makes her the most wrong.  I think it's funny that grandparents were like, "Meh OK." and took the wind out of her homophobic sails. 

SITB

Well that triggered a memory ... of going to Prague with my brother and his wife and her sister.  Let's just say that to save money we got a hotel room with a loft (which I slept in) and they bragged years later about their first born being conceived during that trip.  Yeah I know - I was there and it was super awkward.

• Options
    1) The pantry, where the food is, part kinda creeps me out on the places inappropriate to "help a partner out" - ever! especially at someone else's house..nsjs...  Forbidden places where's the line..  Kind of gets the "American Pie" reference here...  

2) Aunt is the rude AF one for not knocking - they could have been simply sleeping buff and I'm guessing she'd have raised the house... nsjs...