Chit Chat

"Getting married" = "wedding"

I've noticed lately a lot of people trying to claim "My fiance and I don't want a wedding. We want to elope/get married in private/save money."

An elopement or private marriage ceremony is still a "wedding," but these people are insulting everyone else who has a "wedding" by suggesting that what they want to do isn't a "wedding" because "weddings" inherently waste time and money that could be "better" spent. Who is entitled to decide what's "better"?

Re: "Getting married" = "wedding"

• This bugs me too. It really gets me when they have a party later on and call it the wedding. I understand that during Covid things had to be flexible re: people got married privately then had a party when things were better. However, the party wasn't the wedding the day that they got married was the wedding. I think it is hard if not impossible for the traditional rules to return.
  • I think the real issue is that people don't understand the difference between the wedding and the reception/party afterward. Wedding=when you become legally hitched. Reception/party=the celebration of your legal hitching, including food/drink/dancing/whatever