Wedding Etiquette Forum

Can my priest officiate my wedding as a regular person?

Does anyone know if I can have a priest officiate my outdoor wedding but as a regular person? I know that priests are unable to perform weddings outside the church but is it possible to do it as an ordained minister? Just a "regular" person doing a traditional wedding. 

Re: Can my priest officiate my wedding as a regular person?

• Does anyone know if I can have a priest officiate my outdoor wedding but as a regular person? I know that priests are unable to perform weddings outside the church but is it possible to do it as an ordained minister? Just a "regular" person doing a traditional wedding. 
    It's not likely that your priest will do this as he'd be a participant in why you are becoming a Catholic not in good standing.  

While I firmly believe that you shouldn't  have a wedding in a church unless you and your FI are intending to want it (vs. Doing it to please your parents) understand that there are repercussions if you do continue with that plan.
  • banana468 said:
    Does anyone know if I can have a priest officiate my outdoor wedding but as a regular person? I know that priests are unable to perform weddings outside the church but is it possible to do it as an ordained minister? Just a "regular" person doing a traditional wedding. 
    It's not likely that your priest will do this as he'd be a participant in why you are becoming a Catholic not in good standing.  

While I firmly believe that you shouldn't  have a wedding in a church unless you and your FI are intending to want it (vs. Doing it to please your parents) understand that there are repercussions if you do continue with that plan.
    This - most likely the Bishop in the Diocese won't allow it.  That said, during Covid, some Diocese relaxed a little on this, key words - a little and some.  It's going to be a case by case basis for those that have tightened the restrictions back up.  Some Diocese it's a matter of filling out paperwork.   Convalidation is also an option along with having your Sacramental wedding at another time, though most of your guests would rather attend the real deal than the pretty photo backdrop venue (Which - go ahead if you want your photos there to keep!!!).  End of the day OP, you need to meet with the priest at the parish you attend to discuss your options for marrying in the Catholic Church.  
  • downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2023
    I don't see this being an option for the reasons PPs have stated. If it matters to you to have a priest at your wedding, why aren't you getting married in the Church? Not trying to be critical, just curious.
  • I don't see how that's possible.

You're asking your priest to break Church rules in marrying you away from a church, and not only could that disqualify you from good standing in the Church and eligibility to participate fully in the sacraments, it also could result in his losing standing in the Church. That's his whole life, so for him if not for you, the stakes are very serious.