Wedding Woes

My brother cut me out and now wants back in.

Dear Prudence,

I haven’t spoken to my brother in seven years. His then-girlfriend cheated on him constantly, so when they got engaged, I was honest—I told him it was a mistake and that he needed to have some self-respect because no one deserved to be treated like his girlfriend treated him. So he cut me out of his life—wouldn’t talk to me, wouldn’t see me, wouldn’t even be at the same family event if I was there. He skipped our father’s funeral because I was there.

Recently, out of the blue, he called me several times and left messages about catching up. I called our mother and low and behold, his wife had left him for her rich boss and is pregnant with this guy’s baby. Mom says he wants to reconnect. I have no desire to. My mother is begging me to reconsider—for her sake at least. I told her I would be polite if my brother wanted to show up at family events while I was there, but that was it. She cried harder than when our father died. I feel awful, but my brother chose this route a long time ago. How do I get my mother to understand this? And what do I do if my brother wants to talk?

— Seven Years

Re: My brother cut me out and now wants back in.

• You want to just turn to him and say that you told him so?  Do you realize that you're saying that someone else treated him like crap so you get to tell him he doesn't exist?? 

People who will go back to someone who is doing this may have self esteem issues and co dependency issues but you're taking it awfully personally because you weren't able to control a grown adult. 

Quite frankly the only thing your mom needs to understand is that she should put more attention into the person who trusted too hard.
  • I feel like there is more to this story than what the LW is saying.

Was the long ago conversation with the brother gentle and just one conversation?  Or was it many conversations about how much the FI sucked and constant pressure that the brother should break up with her.

If it was the latter, I could understand why he cut ties.  But if it was the former, which seems unlikely he would cut ties over that, I can give the LW a lot more credit for why they are hurt and want to stay NC.

But fast forwarding back to the present, I think the best course of action is to briefly talk to the brother and at least clear the air a bit.  Tell him they are still too hurt about the 7 year of NC to build a relationship again.  But that they will be polite and say hi whenever they are both at a family event.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like there is more to this story than what the LW is saying.

Was the long ago conversation with the brother gentle and just one conversation?  Or was it many conversations about how much the FI sucked and constant pressure that the brother should break up with her.

If it was the latter, I could understand why he cut ties.  But if it was the former, which seems unlikely he would cut ties over that, I can give the LW a lot more credit for why they are hurt and want to stay NC.

But fast forwarding back to the present, I think the best course of action is to briefly talk to the brother and at least clear the air a bit.  Tell him they are still too hurt about the 7 year of NC to build a relationship again.  But that they will be polite and say hi whenever they are both at a family event.
    I agree there's likely more here.  I'm still team brother though - the LW told him to stop acting like a doormat so he did.   

Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it.