Wedding Woes
Options

I don't think you have a case to take this to HR, but no more drinking with Jacob IMO.

Dear Prudence,

I have a co-worker named “Jacob” who I’ve known for a very long time, close to a decade. He’s in another department than the one I work in, so he’s not a direct superior, but he’s in one that works closely with mine and I’ve always thought of him as something of a mentor and certainly a more senior employee. We see each other at work a lot, and we fairly frequently socialize outside of work as well.

We had a year-closing drinks party recently. Wasn’t anything fancy, just several of us going out to a bar we liked and staying there for several hours. Jacob and I wound up staying the last, and we both probably drank a bit more than we should have. I don’t remember exactly how we got onto the subject, but we were talking about things we regretted. That’s when Jacob floored me. He said he was intensely homophobic, and that the thought of two men having sex made him want to puke. He knows it’s wrong, and he tries not to find out about people’s sexuality because it’s not something he wants to judge them over.

Like I said, I’ve known him for close to 10 years and I never even got a hint of this before.
Whatever his prejudices, he keeps them tightly under wraps. But I know he manages a department, and I figure there’s at least a reasonable chance one of his about 30 subordinates isn’t heterosexual. I don’t know how he can manage to do so fairly if that’s what he’s really like, but I don’t know if I should report him to HR on the basis of a drunken confession for something that he certainly at the time didn’t seem to like about himself.

Should I speak up? And if so, to whom?

— Confused Coworker

Re: I don't think you have a case to take this to HR, but no more drinking with Jacob IMO.

• Options
    I don't think it's a smart idea to bring that up.

Don't go out with Jacob again and keep it professional.  
  • Options
    I wouldn't speak up, b/c to your knowledge this bias hasn't affected his job performance.

I also wouldn't be friends with Jacob anymore and be strictly colleagues at arms length.
  • Options
    I don't know why the LW thinks they should say something to HR.  From everything else in the letter, this person's thoughts are not affecting his job.

This is someone they are friendly with and have worked with for 10 years.  They had no idea the person felt this way and were shocked about it.  Because the guy keeps it closely under wraps.  Now that the LW knows, they have never seen this affect this guy's judgment.  The guy realizes this is a "him" problem and doesn't want it to affect his judgment either.

And if we're being accurate.  It's not all his subordinates who are homosexual.  Just the men, smh.  He sounds like the kind of guy who thinks homosexuality is just fine when it's women, because "that's hot".  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    People need to remember that HR is there to protect the company vs. individual employees.  This confession happened outside of work and when people were in altered states.  I don't see what good will come for LW out of bringing this up to HR or at work at all.

This is the type of thing where you put a 'noted' checkmark in your brain and keep it moving.  Don't be obvious in any changes toward Jacob, but I'd definitely find other places for mentorship and also, avoid any one on one settings with him outside of work.  If he reaches out to LW, they should keep a polite, work-friendly tone and only discuss the issue at hand.  Also, don't let your brain wander into the territory of needing to 'catch' Jacob being biased at work. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jacob keeps his distance from LW if he feels any sort of way about this confession.  
  • Options
    I think protecting the company is a perfect example of why LW may HAVE a leg to stand on if they decide to mention to HR. The way I read it was a year-end work happy hour event, they stayed late, Jacob made some horrible remarks. That could have horrible implications for the company because it was a work event and said to a colleague/subordinate. 

I probably wouldn't say anything if I were LW but I dont' think it's nearly as cut and dry as "eh, it's not affecting his judgement at work". Imo, LW has grounds to say something if they want to. 
  • Options
    So I don’t think this is an HR thing; Jacob’s views are reprehensible and he should continue to keep them to himself and continue to not ask questions about people’s sexuality so that he doesn’t treat them differently. 

It sounds like Jacob knows his views are wrong and is doing the bare minimum by taking steps not to let that impact his judgement. I think LW has a place to say- here’s some reading, work, education you can do on yourself to think about your views more.

However, if you think this is impacting how he’s treating his employees you absolutely say something to HR.