Wedding Woes

Hump Day

How's everyone?  I've been very involved in my school's celebration of Neurodiversity Week so it's going quickly for me.  I can't put my finger on why but I've felt like I am in this calm-before-the-storm mode lately- hope it passes.

Re: Hump Day

• Hopefully stbx stays out of your hair @ei34
    $6 for a soda? I think I remember having sticker shock like that on my iced tea when I went out once @varunatt.  No thanks. I’ll drink water.  I went to a pizza place and the pizza price was OK, as expected for 2023 inflation, but the iced tea was around $5 and the tinest side salad was out of this world too. Funny how they’re pricing food & drinks. 

• Yesterday was a really good day. N has no ear infection (first time in 4 months!), clean bill from the dentist for me, H was feeling good, and G slept all night. Hoping today is good too! I love the 50s and sunny weather we've got today. 

G was almost in tears last night at bedtime because "I miss my friends so much, mom". This is a new development bc he's always been kind of an independent observer and not really that interested in other people. The kids he was talking about live in our neighborhood so we're going to try and set up a park date! I guess we're diving into the world of playdates....
  • A friend of mine just did an orchid set from Lego. It looks pretty cool and it is definitely big enough to display.

H had left for his trustee meeting in PA so it is me and the dog until Saturday night. No big plans other than doggie school graduation tomorrow night. I think he'll pass. He has been most trainable dachshund. We finished The Diplomats last night and watched more of Unstable. I'm waiting for The Citadel to come out but don't know when that will be released. I'm fairly well packed for our trip. I know I have too many clothes but it doesn't matter since we are driving. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared clothing wise. Hoping my Beautycounter order arrives before we leave!
  • @VarunaTT Those lego sets sound so cool!  I'm going to check them out.  Sean Connery was good as Bond, but I don't get why people say he is their favourite.  I think Pierce Brosnan was the best Bond but in the worst Bond movies.  But him in one of the older ones and he would have blown everyone away.  I still love Goldeneye though, can't argue with a movie with Sean Bean.

Quiet ish day at work.  I have stuff to do, but feel unmotivated.  I'll do it, I'm just not going to kill myself to get everything done.  

It is cold here, spring is refusing to come.

• @ILoveBeachMusic the flower lego look so pretty. Part of our long term decor plans for our house involves lego because M is into it and has fairly big pieces. He suggested I do the flower ones as they're meant for decor

@Casadena good times all around :D 

BK is begging for a sleepover at IL's this weekend. We asked, and they said yes.
    I told M idk if I wanna do dinner like we normally do, maybe we could see a movie since we have giftcards.
    Or we do dinner at a certain place.
    Idk what we'll do.

BK is also still getting a hamster. I may go with them to gymnastics so we can go straight to pet store to get it. Idk. I really need to mop my kitchen.

Side note I'm having fun mild side effects from meds - which apparently is typical given healing the mouth basically.
    Things taste weird.
    Like I'm a coffee drinker and it's been hard lately since it tastes weird. Nothing is bad or anything. Like M got me a chocolate milkshake recently and I was 100% convinced it was a chocolate peppermint flavour. Nope. Meds. Lol
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @Casadena that's an awesome day!
    @VarunaTT thank you, yes, you're right that I'm still figuring out life after survival mode
  • The Big Boss unexpectedly came to talk to me this morning.  He wanted to touch base with my moving plans.  He said the company still hasn't decided on their roll-out plan for WFH, but that we will keep touching base.  TBH, that was really bad news from my perspective.  I had been hoping from our previous conversation that we were just waiting to see how the client's new system...which is designed to make WFH or anywhere off-site faster...would work out.  But if we're waiting for our company to put in a system like that and implement a WFH policy, I doubt that will happen by the time I'm ready to move (sigh).

He and I rarely interact for work, so I do appreciate that he didn't forget about it and came to touch base.

I'm going to start looking for a WFH job.  Which I know is a lot easier said than done.  But I definitely won't find one if I don't look, lol.

On a plus side, I think my H and I have a great plan for additional income once we move.  We'd already talked about wanting to buy a larger piece of property with our personal home and then building some type of "small houses" on our property.  But what kind?  We dug more into that question last night.

Yurts?  Almost immediately nixed that with some research.  Cargo containers?  Relatively cheap, but they only have a 15-25 year life.  Tiny house?  Most expensive option, but possibly.  Especially if the property already has a large shed or something like that on it.

Quonset hut?  This was my H's idea.  It never even occurred to me.  But, OMG, they are awesome!  I had no idea until I looked into them more.  This is the answer.  You can buy kits that already include the exterior and all the framing for $10-$20/ sq ft.  There will certainly be all kinds of other costs that will be spicy.  But the building itself costing $10K or less is a great start.  The entire cost for everything is around the same, if not cheaper, than a cargo container but the quonsets can last for decades.

I could make my money back in about 3 years.  So crazy.

They are low maintenance and really sturdy.  They structures can withstand up to 140 MPH winds.  I am so tired of hearing about insurance and roofs.  These don't even have roofs like a house!  Or siding.  They're dome-shaped so the whole building withstands the elements.

Zoning and how to insure them are the two big things I need to find out.  I'm hoping my plans will not be dashed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good afternoon.  Sitting in a training session to observe and super full from lunch.  Work brought in wings from a really good local place.  DH was jealous because he loves these wings and we haven't had them in a while.   The funny thing is that I brought in a lunch I was looking forward to eating, but I guess that will be dinner now. 

DH and DefConn cleared out the area by our side door in preparation to pour a concrete pad.  We have someone coming out for a quote next week. 

The next couple of weeks are going to be hectic since we're OOT this weekend and next.  After that, we have to get ready for my niece's grad party.  Plus DH will be transitioning officially to his new role once they get his replacement hired (for which there's a preferred candidate, so they're hoping it will go rather quickly). 

After two really challenging weeks, between work stuff and the whole promotion situation, I'm glad to feel like things are evening out a little.  I did get some really good sleep last night for what feels like the first time in a month or so. 

@VarunaTT, I loved working from home for the time that I did, but I find being hybrid suits my personality better.  But by Wednesday, I am ready for my two days at home.  

Yay for a good day @Casadena

@ei34, I think it's totally understandable that you find yourself anticipating something, but you don't know what.  I hope that feeling passes soon because it's not fun to be there for long.  ((hugs))