Wedding Woes
Options

This is a romantic comedy, right?

Dear Prudence,

Four years ago, I moved to a new city to attend grad school at a university you would certainly know. While there, I fell head over heels for one of my professors who was significantly older than me (I know, I know). I was thrilled when he asked to marry me, but devastated when he returned to his ex-wife before our marriage.

After leaving school, I found myself still living in the city, working for a friend. “Daniel” is loud, crass, and prone to sexist remarks, with a bunch of white male friends who think and act the way he does. He used to abuse alcohol but is now sober. But he is funny and has a giant heart, and helped me pick up the pieces of my life after they were shattered. I quickly fell into a physical relationship with Daniel, while he was still my boss (I know! I know!). I don’t think either of us thought it would go very far. There’s no kind way to say this, but we’re simply from different social classes and educational backgrounds. And while at times I felt we could get past that, at other times he’d flare up with some sexist crack or fall back into his womanizing ways that reminded me of why I set a mental countdown on our relationship in the first place.

Recently, while we were broken up, a third man entered my life. “Graham” is also kind, loving, highly educated, and a working professional. He also has an ex-wife. He recently broached the subject of marriage, but I find myself still thinking about Daniel (who I still work with and see every day). I suspect Daniel still carries a flame for me. And I can’t help but wonder if, with Graham, I’m repeating the first relationship that crashed down around me.

I’m thinking of accepting Graham’s proposal when it comes. On paper, I know he’s the right man for me. But I’m worried about how to handle my professional relationship with Daniel, and whether I’m picking the wrong man for all the right reasons. How do I figure this out?

–Triangle of My Own Making

Re: This is a romantic comedy, right?

• Options
    Good lord get a grip. End things with Graham. Find a new job. Get therapy. 
  • Options
    Stop getting involved with people who are full of empty promises?
  • Options
    If this isn't some 25 year old nonsense, IDK what else it would be.

Get-a-therapist GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • Options
    Do not marry this nice man Graham and then ruin his life because you're not truly in love with him and looking for the next (or last) thing.  Also, anyone who says that something is good 'on paper' knows that it's the wrong decision in reality. 
  • Options
    Good lord get a grip. End things with Graham. Find a new job. Get therapy. 
    This.  And especially focus the therapy on why they keep self-sabotaging their life.

It's one thing to make a bad choice and then look back and realize why it was a bad choice.  But the LW is making bad choices while knowing full well and in the moment that it is a bad choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I keep reading this, b/c something just doesn't read right. 

LW is a little high and mighty here...Daniel is her friend she's working for, but they're from different social classes?  Honey...you're his employee, I don't care what your background, is, you're either the same or lower social class than he is, no matter your education.  She doesn't even seem to like Daniel with her mental countdown and insults and even just says, Daniel carries a flame for me, not the other way around.  

This all stinks of marrying for social clout, which I don't necessarily have an issue with if that's what someone wants, but LW needs to be better at it.  I think Daniel makes the money LW wants, but doesn't want to marry LW, just to keep fvcking around, Graham must make enough to be fine, but Daniel makes more. 

IDK what to tell her to do.  But Daniel isn't marrying you sweetie, so if Graham's pocketbook isn't big enough, keep looking.

• Options
    This letter is so annoying. LW is definitely the drama of her friend group. She needs to figure out why she keeps pursuing unavailable men in power positions and get to therapy for all of this nonsense. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    This letter is so annoying. LW is definitely the drama of her friend group. She needs to figure out why she keeps pursuing unavailable men in power positions and get to therapy for all of this nonsense. 
    Especially with the (I know! I know!).  Stop making bad choices LW.    I feel like I'm talking to my 9 YO. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    Especially with the (I know! I know!).  Stop making bad choices LW.    I feel like I'm talking to my 9 YO. 
    RIGHT?!  If you 'know' then WHY ARE YOU DOING IT?  It's not cute or funny.  It's dumb at best and damaging to yourself and other people at worst. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    levioosa said:
    RIGHT?!  If you 'know' then WHY ARE YOU DOING IT?  It's not cute or funny.  It's dumb at best and damaging to yourself and other people at worst. 
    I think she thinks it is? Agree with therapy. And just taking a break to reflect. 
  • Options
    Yeah - LW is reminding me or Rory Gilmore in all the bad ways that I hated her in the 4 seasons.  It isn't cute or endearing to be with your superiors.  Your colleagues also see that when you do this, your professionalism and ethics are also in question.  This can be industry removing behavior. 
  • Options
    Firstly, stop sleeping with your bosses/professors. Second figure out why you’re confusing to get involved with married/unavailable men. Third, grow up. 
  • Options
    downtondivadowntondiva member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 5
    Um....isn't this basically the first few seasons of that old sitcom Cheers?
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Yeah - LW is reminding me or Rory Gilmore in all the bad ways that I hated her in the 4 seasons.  It isn't cute or endearing to be with your superiors.  Your colleagues also see that when you do this, your professionalism and ethics are also in question.  This can be industry removing behavior. 
    Ugh Rory (and Lorelei) were the literal worrrrstttt. H and I couldn’t even finish watching it they were so insufferable. 

• Options
    levioosa said:
    banana468 said:
    Ugh Rory (and Lorelei) were the literal worrrrstttt. H and I couldn’t even finish watching it they were so insufferable. 
    I liked Lorelei a bit more for the revamp but Rory was such a jerk to so many people.   

And the older I get, the more I really hate watching shows that are supposed to be funny and witty that are really about people being snarky while they make terrible miserable decisions in their miserable lives.  (Sex and the City I'm looking at you).  I need more. 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    I keep reading this, b/c something just doesn't read right. 

LW is a little high and mighty here...Daniel is her friend she's working for, but they're from different social classes?  Honey...you're his employee, I don't care what your background, is, you're either the same or lower social class than he is, no matter your education.  She doesn't even seem to like Daniel with her mental countdown and insults and even just says, Daniel carries a flame for me, not the other way around.  

This all stinks of marrying for social clout, which I don't necessarily have an issue with if that's what someone wants, but LW needs to be better at it.  I think Daniel makes the money LW wants, but doesn't want to marry LW, just to keep fvcking around, Graham must make enough to be fine, but Daniel makes more. 

IDK what to tell her to do.  But Daniel isn't marrying you sweetie, so if Graham's pocketbook isn't big enough, keep looking.

And she moved to a city for a grad school that you would know

Just barf.