Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Wedding party?

So I jumped the gun and did my bridesmaids proposal before thinking things through. Everyone knows where the destination wedding is taking place and have all said yes but now I’m wondering if I should just do the MOH at the destination and the rest of the bridal party do something at home for the reception. Any thoughts on this? I feel bad making the girls travel for a 10-15 minute ceremony and then that’s it. They are all important to me so I do want to do something with them but can’t justify asking them to shell out all this money. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. 

Re: Wedding party?

• Options
    So I jumped the gun and did my bridesmaids proposal before thinking things through. Everyone knows where the destination wedding is taking place and have all said yes but now I’m wondering if I should just do the MOH at the destination and the rest of the bridal party do something at home for the reception. Any thoughts on this? I feel bad making the girls travel for a 10-15 minute ceremony and then that’s it. They are all important to me so I do want to do something with them but can’t justify asking them to shell out all this money. Any suggestions or help is appreciated. 
    Why aren't you  hosting a reception at your DW location after you exchange vows?  This is something that you need to be doing for all the people who are invited. 
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 9
    If you're asking anyone to travel, you need to host them afterwards. It doesn't have to be a big fancy ordeal, but you should spring for a meal or some refreshments after the ceremony.

There's nothing for bridesmaids/MOH to do at an at-home reception. If you decide not to invite them to the wedding, let them know that you decided against a wedding party. You can always celebrate special friendships with a flower, a toast or a heartfelt note. 
  • Options
    There will be a cocktail reception after but it’s going to be laidback no DJ or anything it’ll be at a bar at the resort 
  • Options
    You can't expect guests/wedding party to travel for a wedding and not provide appropriate hosting! You need to have some type of food for them at the reception directly after the wedding- not wait until you have an at home party.
  • Options
    A DW with a short ceremony is fine, but everyone you invite to your DW you need to host properly!  That doesn't mean you have to have a dance/DJ and that whole shabang, but that does mean at least meet up and host your guests for a nice meal afterwards as a group to the level everyone is dressing up.  
  • Options
    Your reception will be for the guests that attend your destination wedding.  There is no need at all for a bridal party for an event to celebrate your marriage after the fact.  There is NO point for guests to wear matching outfits to a party.  
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The wedding reception is whatever comes right after the ceremony, so if it's a cocktail reception, you're welcome to have your BMs at that.  
    If you're having a gathering once home for those who could not travel abroad that's nice too, as long as it's well-hosted.  But that would be a party, not a reception, and bridesmaids would seem strange at a party?  

I've declined BM offers as well as rsvp'ed no to destination weddings...your friends can pass if it doesn't work for them.  But you'd definitely have them on your wedding day, not a party celebrating your marriage.
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    Your reception will be for the guests that attend your destination wedding.  There is no need at all for a bridal party for an event to celebrate your marriage after the fact.  There is NO point for guests to wear matching outfits to a party.  
    Yes, the outfit of guests and bridal should have difference. Otherwise, how you will recognize as a bride
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    Yes, the outfit of guests and bridal should have difference. Otherwise, how you will recognize as a bride
    Presumably, the guests will know the bride and groom and recognize them.