Wedding Woes
Options

She sucks, but it's not an HR issue.

Dear Prudence, 

In December 2023, my best friend of 20 years died of cancer. He was diagnosed one year before his death, and in 12 months went from a healthy 39-year-old to being in a wheelchair, before he passed away. I work as a prosecutor, which is a government job. My problem is with my workplace supervisor. In the more than three months since my friend’s passing, my supervisor has not acknowledged his death to me, even though she knew how close we were, and that I was supporting him through his decline in health. She did not call me to pass on her condolences, ask me what I needed, how I was doing, or if I needed time off.

To make things even worse, while I was planning my friend’s memorial there was a recruitment exercise at my work, where I would have had the opportunity to apply to be made permanent (I am currently on a contract despite having worked in the same role for two years). My supervisor did nothing to arrange an extension for me. When I tried to raise my disappointment about this with her, she told me I was hurting her feelings and being unprofessional. Despite my grief, I have continued to work through this time and my work quality has not suffered. Now it feels like I am being punished by my supervisor for not wanting to be “friends” and acting like everything between us is OK. Prudie, I love my job, but I cannot forgive my supervisor for not being there when I needed a supportive manager. Most of the time I cannot believe what I am experiencing, the lack of compassion is astounding to me. Am I right to feel this letdown? I feel like I need to get away from this person as quickly as possible, but I worry it will damage my career. I have tried to raise my concerns with management and HR but neither have been supportive. Prudie, what should I do?

—Unable to Forgive

Re: She sucks, but it's not an HR issue.

• Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 4
    You need to reframe your expectations. Sure, it would be nice if your supervisor was compassionate and kind, but she doesn't have to be. Her job is to make sure the work is getting done. 

It sounds like it's time to look for your next job, but you probably need to reframe your expectations about what an employee-manager relationship looks like. 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I just....what do you want, LW? Do you want a manager-friend? Or did you want to keep things professional and climb the ladder? I also have thoughts about how you probably acted at work regarding your friend's (unfortunate) passing and I am sure it's a lot different than the picture you have in your head. 

If your supervisor knowingly kept you from a potential promotion, then yes, that can be an HR issue. But if you're upset because she didn't come to your office with a wellness basket and a box of tissues 3 months after a loss, then your expectations are unrealistic. 

• Options
    banana468 said:

Many people need to work on keeping their professional lives professional and out of the work place.   
    The show Severance was made for a reason.  LOL

One downside I see with the push for everyone to be fully remote in many industries is how much harder it can be to divorce the personal and the professional.  I struggled with it often when my mom was sick because I was at home alone all day with my thoughts and willing my parents not to text or call me because it was always bad, but also being totally afraid to be away from my phone in case they called.  It was so disruptive.  I've seen that type of lack of focus and struggle in people who work for me. 

ANYWAY...

But yeah, I get this person is upset, but this is misplaced, bordering on (or fully), weaponized grief.  

I found out at work that my best friend died.  It sucked and I was really sad (plus 1st tri preggo on top of it), but I didn't expect anyone to check on me regarding it after a day or two.  

Furthermore, some people just don't handle talking about death well at all.  Especially if it is someone young.  

And above all, you're there to provide your time and expertise and get paid in return for it.  Same with your boss.  Stop complaining about your boss' lack of personal support for you.  She doesn't get paid to do that. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Unfortunately the reality in the workplace is that you get a short bereavement leave and go back to work.  And in the LW's place it sounds like they need a therapist of which their supervisor is NOT.  The supervisor is not blurring lines and keeping it professional.  

Many people need to work on keeping their professional lives professional and out of the work place.   
    And most work places won't give paid bereavement leave for a friend dying.  I'm sure my work place would be understanding about me taking time off for a friend who passed, especially if I had to travel for the funeral.  But that would all be vacation time or AWOP.

The only thing in the letter that I thought the supervisor was a jerk for is not offering their condolences after the loss happened.  But if the LW loves their job, they need to let this go and get over it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    So, LW, your manager could have definitely offered condolences when your friend died. However, I think beyond that, your expectations are unrealistic. Yes, you were very close with your friend, and I understand that personally, this is a terrible loss for you. But most employers are limited in the bereavement leave they offer and in the accommodations they can offer an employee even when a close family member dies. They're not going to go to great lengths when a friend dies. 

I know you had a lot on your plate, but if you really wanted to be eligible to participate in the recruitment exercise and be considered for promotion, you should have approached your manager to see if something could be worked out. I'm sorry if this is harsh, but it isn't reasonable to expect them to decide on their own to change something for an entire team or to think to give you an extension because your friend died. Lower your expectations for work relationships in the future and learn to be your own advocate when needed.