Wedding Woes
Options

Dreaded Monday

CharmedPamCharmedPam member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 6 in Wedding Woes
My weekend was great.  Friends and I rented an airbnb because it was cheaper than a hotel room.  Holland MI jacked up all the prices on rooms because of Tulip fest and let me tell you it was the most ANTICLIMATIC fest I ever been to.  Basically you paid $12 to see a field of tulips.  2 shops were open, one being a souvenir store.  And it wasn’t all in one location, so there may have been sights to see in another part of the town, but the places were all jam packed with people so we couldn’t find the downtown area.  And this was a quiet week apparently because the parade happens next week.  All in all, never need to go to that one again (Pella, Iowa has a better tulip fest Midwesterners!). But we did do the beach and wineries and just enjoyed the house.  We agreed sharing a house with a common area was way better than a hotel, so we booked another beach town in September with the same idea.  Now, both my friends are older than me and going through menopause and like the house chillier than I do - and I get the whole body temp thing going on with that - but people not going through menopause shouldn’t have to suffer either.  I seriously feel bad for any spouse who lives with someone for YEARS and then menopause happens and their body temperature completely changes. Temperatures in my household broke us.  Lol.  My ex would have loved me to be menopausal because he preferred cold.  I don’t even like being hot.  Just comfortable.  So the only thing that I could see being a problem is the temperatures.  And me and this friend have two hotels to share between now and September (and no, I don’t even like the a/c blasting in the summer!)

edit words, because Monday - also I’m not sure if I shared before, but here’s my red/black tulips I planted from attending Pella’s fest last year. My reds are already dead and gone and my black ones are following, just a few days left.  Lots of dying Tulips in Holland too, and we went on the first day! This happened in Pella too, they bloomed too soon into the season. 

Re: Dreaded Monday

• Options
    CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Pella Tulip Time really is fantastic! Glad you had a good weekend in MI!

Our weekend was really really nice. Lots of outside time, got the water table out on Saturday and did lunch/bowling/arcade as H's birthday outing. It was super fun and the boys did so well! Yesterday H golfed with some friends in the morning and the boys and I woke up slowly and then went to the duck pond and the park for most of the morning! Lunch and haircuts for all the boys yesterday. It was G's first haircut in a salon (I've been doing it) and he did such a good job!
  • Options
    edited May 6
    Sounds so cute @Casadena! Did he get a lolipop after it?
    Not knowing where to go or what to see in Holland was partly my fault, I should have googled the dutch town and civic center.  I went with someone who had been to tulip time already and I thought she knew the ins and outs.  But I also think those places are there year round without the (seriously) insane crowds. 

• Options
    Weekend was good! lots of outside time here too. Cousins came over and the boys loved exploring the creek. Lots of food and fun. J is feeling better and finally slept through the night again! 
  • Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    Weekend was okay. Saturday H had his root canal and he was pretty out of it for the day. Yesterday I did a good gym class and then we hiked. We made tacos and margaritas which were pretty good for Cinco de Mayo. Today we are running errands and going to Costco. Unfortunately I just got some incredibly stressful work news and it’s ruining my day. What a start to the week. 

• Options
    edited May 6
    Sorry to hear you got the news on your day off @levioosa.  Also you’ll never hear “good gym class” and then “hike” in a sentence for the same day with me.  I either gym it or hike it.  Lately it’s been neither though. 

• Options
    @CharmedPam when we did our Michigan Girl's trip it wasn't tulip festival time. It wasn't crowded at all. We spent Sunday afternoon in Holland walking around the park (of course there were no tulips since it was June), going up the WindMill and walking through the downtown area. Sorry your experience wasn't good. Maybe I will rethink going to the festival. We really enjoyed Douglas and Sagautuk. We ate at an awesome restaurant in Douglas whose name escapes me at the moment. We went to the beach but the water was too cold for this southern girl (I may live in Indiana now but am from the south). I would definitely go back.

The Derby Party I went to on Saturday was so much fun. It was Book Club for June. The hostess had a Derby themed dinner and we all wore hats/fascinators. I won the pool (a whole $9). We had delicious bourbon slushies. I have the recipe now which just may be my new go to summer drink. Like I needed a new one! I also had a Zoom call on Saturday with my friends from college that we do a trip every year. We are going to Montana in July so we were firming up some activities for that. 

I'm starting to pull stuff together for Portugal.The weather prediction is changing so I expect to edit everything a  few days ahead of time but plan to stick to a couple of ankle pants with sleevless tops and some dresses with cardigans to layer. I got a long tiered black pull on skirt today from Amazon. I may wear that on the plane to and from because it will be comfy.