Snarky Brides

NWR: vent, long, sorry

Background: My dad met a lady in Fall 2007...wanted to marry her while he was in remission of his cancer, she kept saying no.  Summer 2008 she moves in with him. Winter 2008...cancer comes back...do surgery...goes terribly wrong...almost dies.  Early spring 2009: not responding to chemo anymore, only option was experimental, doc recommends hospice. THEN she marries him.  He passed away 4 months later. (June 2009)

She took my dad's Rolex and gave it to her son (who had met my dad maybe 4 times ever) before they had even removed his body from the house.  She was selling things from his home before a week had passed. No joke. Within the 1st month after his death...she had taken 2 extended vacations with the money from his accounts.

In 4 hours I go to our first "estate" hearing.  I'm pretty much an emotional wreck right now.  Just venting...not really a point here.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers

Re: NWR: vent, long, sorry

• I'm so sorry... That sucks.   Does he have a will?  Let's hope he does and not everything gets taken by this gold digger.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • So sorry. I can't imagine losing a parent and having someone treat him that way, even after his death. GL at the hearing, hopefully he had a will.

• He had a will...but she's over-valuing his debt and under-valuing his estate, thereby saying there will be nothing left.  But as his wife...she gets to just take a car, up to 17K cash, etc... 

She even went so far as to get it ordered that furniture my dad gave me before he died had to be returned as "part of the estate" to be sold...I'd offered to pay to keep things he gave me and she refused.  OH...the kicker:  She even defaulted on paying the funeral home for his memorial!!!  UFB!!!

Hence the court hearing.

I'm so glad that they weren't married long enough for her to be able to claim any of his pension or on his SS. 

• That sounds so awful and aggravating. I'm really sorry you're going through this.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • This is awful! I am so sorry you are going through this. 

Hopefully, after everything is settled you can move on with your memories and not allow this leach to take anything else away from your father's name and memory. 

It amazes me sometimes how people can justify their actions. Selling his things?? That is unreal to me!!  Your father had a family before her and you deserve the chance to speak on where his things should end up. 

?The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.?
  • Ok...so skanky and my alky sis were both there at court.  Apparently my sis filed suit against skanky to get her share of the life insurance money and to contest the will since sis had been disinherited.

So nothing with the probate or estate was finished and they continued the hearing for another date. 

However...my fantastic attorney got the magistrate to agree that I could sign off to all of this!  I state that I want no part of the estate, they come pick up the furniture within the week that I'm returning to the estate, and I walk away.  They can fight for the next 20 years...and they cannot involve me in it.  I am happily going to start my new life with my man. 

My dads b-day would have been March 13.  We've decided to create a little memorial garden in his honor in the back of our yard.  And I will have a place to go and remember him...and they will still be fighting over money and things.
  • Wow... I've heard of "black widow" women like this who marry somebody terminal just to harvest their estate.  I remember seeing a post some years back about a coworker who had done this about 5 times!  Totally sucks. 

Definitely take this woman to court!  I wish you all the luck in the world!!

• OMG, that is awful.  We had to fight for a few decades to get my Grammy's things, long story there, so I know how heart wrenching it is to have to deal with this.  It really sucks that she is such a skank.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards