Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

How long is too long?

The song we want for our first dance is 5:40 ("You and Me" by Dave Matthews Band). We both love the song and really want to use it, but is almost 6:00 too long? Will people get antsy? But on the other hand, I don't really care if people watch or not b/c it's our moment, you know? What do you all think?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation

Re: How long is too long?

• schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm you could:

-just make it a long dance-- guest may get antsy but it is your dance
    -edit the song to make it shorter
    -half way through the song have other couples join you (have the dj anounce)
  • edited December 2011
    I will say that you should try it and see how it feels for YOU.  That is a long time to have people staring at you swaying back and forth.  My SIL picked Josh Groban's "You Raised Me Up" and then wished he hadn't.  Great song, lovely message...WAY long.
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • glam70sglam70s member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have the other couples join you on the dance floor after the first 2 minutes or so..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with having other people join you but talk with some family or friends about it. Some people may not feel comfortable "stealing" the spotlight off of you two so if you have several people agree to join you then it will be less awkward for everyone else. Of course if the DJ invites everyone to join they can decline that offer, and then it's their problem for just sitting there, but I've been to a wedding where they invited people to join, and not being one who's much for dancing I opted out, but many people did join.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Too long, IMO.  Either find an appropriate place to shorten it, or use it during the reception instead of as your first dance. Please don't make your guests stand around and stare at your dance for 6 minutes.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Having the guests join half way through wouldn't be that big of a deal to have the dj announce and it would be nice for the guests as well. You can still have your moment and they can reflect back to their wedding day and it be just one big happy moment. =)
  • edited December 2011
    Our first dance song is also about a 6 minute song. There's a part in the middle of the song where a guitar starts playing. We're going to ask our guests to join us on the dance floor at that time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

September 2011 Siggy Challenge: Ceremony Location

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heather.mikeheather.mike member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Another option other than inviting the guests is to turn it into the father-daughter, mother-son dance part way through... Just a thought.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic? BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy calendar
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards