Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Can we do suggested cash gift?

Hello everyone! I am really in a dilemma. My fiance and I have decided to do a financial registry where we use paypal and have a box at the wedding. THe only problem is we are scared people will only put like $20-$30 in an envelope to give us or a group of 10 people will give us like $100. Is there a polite way to say on the gifts tab on wedding website: suggested donation of minimum $50 per person or do we just not say anything at all and hope for the best! Please help because we cannot agree on this. Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Can we do suggested cash gift?

• Options
    This is a joke right? Surely you're just trying to stir up some knotties.
    Married on 8/7/10 My Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • Options
    i hope this is a joke. you're wedding is not a fundraiser and you are not a charity. Have the wedding that you can afford, that way it doesn't matter if you get nothing from your guests.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for your advice! Actually it wasnt a joke but I understand what you are saying. I wanted to do a small registry but my fiance thinks its a bad idea to do a small registry, he felt like we should do all or nothing. At this point, after reading your posts, we will just not put a suggested amount! Thanks so much for taking your time and being honest. I appreciate the truth! Good luck with your wedding planning
  • Options
    No, no, no.  That's all I'm going to say
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What?!? LMAO!

Why don't you just get someone to be doorman and not let anyone in who isn't willing to pay a $50 admission. You've already gone way too far to be calling these "suggested donations" gifts anyway. Might as well just call a spade a spade.

Have a nice benefit, I mean wedding.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_can-suggested-cash-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6cc3d44b-6b6e-4c36-bfd4-8d71f3626902Post:eb695f44-8a75-4d34-81c6-994182bf05c4">Can we do suggested cash gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone! I am really in a dilemma. My fiance and I have decided to do a financial registry where we use paypal and have a box at the wedding. THe only problem is we are scared people will only put like $20-$30 in an envelope to give us or a group of 10 people will give us like $100. Is there a polite way to say on the gifts tab on wedding website: suggested donation of minimum $50 per person or do we just not say anything at all and hope for the best! Please help because we cannot agree on this. Thanks so much in advance!
    Posted by mlikanje[/QUOTE]

Wow.  Oh Wow.  So you want to dictate the proper amount of money that people are going to give you.  That's atrociously rude.  Did someone not raise you with manners?  You should be grateful for any gift you are given and not be a greedy brat.
  • Options
    there is no way this is real.
    thats pathetic.
    you cant do this. EVER.
    no one HAS to give you ANYTHING. jeez.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This is so ridiculous. If you are really this clueless, may I suggest that you just not register and not make any mention of gifts whatsoever anywhere. Most people will give cash gift if you don't register and you'll likely be surprised at their generosity. 

You cannot do a "cash registry"!!!  And a suggested amount? OMGWTFBBQ!!!?1!!

weddingcollage
  • Options
    How about on the wedding invites write:

you are invited to the marriage of
    Mlik and Groom
    on this date
    at this time

Reception to follow...
    but only if you bring $50 in cash per person minimum

• Options
    What the hell is a financial registry?!? I've never heard of that, and honestly, if I was invited to a wedding where the bride and groom wanted me to paypal money into your account or put cash in a box (Am I reading that correctly)? I would never forget it.  That is an unforgivable breach of etiquette!  Please don't do this.  Your guests will be seriously offended.
  • Options
    oh my holy goodness...
  • Options
    In this economy, I can't afford $50.  I'll give you what I can afford and hopefully you still graciously accept it and not look down on me for only giving $20 compared to those who can give you more.  It's a gift, be thankful that they gave you anything and was able to come to your wedding.  Your guests already spent money and new outfits, hotels, maybe airfare and rental cars.  Be a gracious bride and be thankful for all that your guests have done for you on your wedding day. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_can-suggested-cash-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:6cc3d44b-6b6e-4c36-bfd4-8d71f3626902Post:c0e4599c-4bf4-4634-a069-62035a23a6b0">Re: Can we do suggested cash gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What the hell is a financial registry?!? I've never heard of that, and honestly, if I was invited to a wedding where the bride and groom wanted me to paypal money into your account or put cash in a box (Am I reading that correctly)? I would never forget it.  That is an unforgivable breach of etiquette!  Please don't do this.  Your guests will be seriously offended.
    Posted by amagwire[/QUOTE]

I think perhaps she meant a card box at the reception.  I really don't know.  It is pretty traditional to have a purse, box, or something to hold cards given at the reception so nothing is lost, misplaced, etc.  I don't like the box idea personally....I'm not sure what I'm going to have at the reception.
  • Options
    STFU.

Do a traditional registry and be done with it.
  • Options
    This actually made me throw up a little in my mouth.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    im actually not against asking for money, many of my friends have done this instead of having a gift list.

I do however think putting a minimum amount on is the rudest thing in the world.  I think you misunderstand  the meaning of a gift.  you should actually be saying that guests are not expected to give you anything, because actually its their choice, not demanding that they give you at least $50.  You should be grateful for anything you are given and if some people cant contribute you should understand that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• Options
    MUD
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Are you kidding me? This is so beyond rude. I can't believe you'd even suggest it.
  • Options
    Well my sister in law stated that she and her loved one have all the home and recreational things they could possibly need. So they mentioned that the best gift would be for their guests to be able to attend. They did note that if a guest were to still want to do something they could donate an unspecified amount of money to help them out toward their honeymoon. They walked away with almost their entire honeymoon paid for. It is best to leave amount of money up to your guest. It is okay to give the option of cash up to your guest. Just do not come off sounding greedy. Let them know how more important their presence is than anything else.
  • Options
    Im sorry, I hope this was a joke, if not, this person should re-examine their whole value system, greedy, entitled attitudes are not the most conducive to a happy lifelong marriage.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_can-suggested-cash-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6cc3d44b-6b6e-4c36-bfd4-8d71f3626902Post:ebaa6c74-cfe7-4273-b607-32237f39d8b4">Re: Can we do suggested cash gift?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well my sister in law stated that she and her loved one have all the home and recreational things they could possibly need. So they mentioned that the best gift would be for their guests to be able to attend. They did note that if a guest were to still want to do something they could donate an unspecified amount of money to help them out toward their honeymoon. They walked away with almost their entire honeymoon paid for. It is best to leave amount of money up to your guest. It is okay to give the option of cash up to your guest. Just do not come off sounding greedy. Let them know how more important their presence is than anything else.
    Posted by kristim4[/QUOTE]
    Yea, honeymoon registries are tacky too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards