Getting in Shape
Options

Personal Trainer

Hi brides,

Have any of you used a personal trainer before? If so, was it worth the money? Did you enjoy the experience? I've been a member at the Y for about a year and really enjoy the time I've spent there but it wasn't until recently that I actually got serious about changing my lifestyle and regularly working out and eating healthier. I did my free fitness consultation, and the trainer wants me to sign up for 10 weeks of sessions this summer. I've been thinking about it in the past anyway, and my workplace will pay up to $250 of the cost through our insurance. I'm just worried that I will hate it or spend all of this money and have it not even be worth it. 

Thoughts? Personal experience?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Personal Trainer

• Options
    I worked with a trainer a few years ago. I ended up not really liking her. She didn't do a lot of things with free weights, which is really what I prefer to work with. Also, it was incredibly expensive. One thing I would recommend is I had a 1 hour session, 1x per week, I didn't like that. I would have preferred 2, 30 min sessions a week, but it was more expensive that way (don't know why that was). One thing to keep in mind is the trainer is a sales person too, of course they want you to sign up for sessions. This is how they make a living. If you really aren't even sure where to begin when beginning a work out routine then a trainer may be for you but other than that, I'm not sure it is necessary. But I'm a little biased because I didn't have a great experience with mine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I have worked with a personal trainer before. 
    THey are fine, but I think they are only worth the money when you have specific questions to ask or things you want to work on. 
    I do a lot of group classes at my gym so I get in plenty of cardio/lifting throughout my week instead of the PT. 

Ex of when I DID use one: 
    Last summer I pulled a muscle on the side of my knee while backpacking. It was awful and 9 months later it still is a little sore/tight. I hooked up with a PT to discuss exercises that will specifically help me avoid those kinda of injuries in the future (ie, things to work my ankle/foot arch strength, the best moves for low-impact, high-result  knee strengthening, etc) 

My gym has seen incredible results with overweight people and the PT packages because they also make you food log, so the PTs see everything you're eating AND what you're doing at the gym. It's incredibly expensive, but successful if you stick it out. 
    If you're just wanting to do a few days with a PT, though, have specific things you want to work on or I think it'll be a waste of money. 
  • Options
    I have used two PTs in the past. It is SO important to get one, if you use one, who matches your personal style. Some are more laid-back, some are in your face and intense. It really depends on what motivates you best and what works for you best. At my gym they ask you a bunch of questions before matching you up with one, so hopefully you get somebody that meshes with your style.

The first time I got one was about 6 or 7 years ago when I first started working out regulary/seriously. she and I didn't "click" very well. At times she wouldn't push me enough and at times she pushed TOO hard to the point I literally couldn't walk the next day.

At my current gym, I got one two summers ago when my weight loss was stalling a bit and I wanted to bring in more weight work. She was very helpful in showing me different strength training moves I could do and it was helpful to have her spot me on some of the moves. I liked her a lot more and she seemed way more knowledgeable.

I would look into your possible PT's credentials and training and meet them beforehand if possible. it's hard to say if it's "worth" the money for another person. I just did 3 sessions with mine to show me the moves and then knew I could do them on my own for free for then on out, but if you're someone that wants to work with them for awhile because you need that person pushing you, it'll obviously be an investment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I just got a personal trainer about a month ago and I swear it's the best thing I ever did for myself! I am naturally pretty thin but never work out, and I wanted to lose a few pounds but more importantly tone up for my wedding, but didn't know where to start other than going for runs. 

Now I go to my trainer twice a week for 30 minutes and then supplement that with light to moderate cardio about 3 times a week for 30 - 60 minutes. It is a little more expensive, but if you are not comfortable in the gym with weights or you need help knowing how to target the muscles you want to tone... I think it's definitely worth it. I have no excuse not to work out and it's just changed my way of thinking. She pushes me to do that little bit extra that is going to make all the difference come the wedding day! I have even been eating healthier because she has me write down my meals and teaches me how much protein I should be eating to build muscle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards