New Hampshire
Options

Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?

Hi ladies,

So we have decided to have a pianist (with a keyboard since I don't think there is a piano in my venue) for our on-site ceremony and cocktail hour and a DJ for our reception. But now that I'm thinking about it I'm wondering if we should have both the DJ and the musician during the cocktail hour, since the musician will be stationed outside and the DJ will be inside. My two main concerns with this are:

1. We'll have to pay extra for the DJ
2. I'm worried that the music from DJ and the musician will "overlap" and not sound that good.

Any suggestions???
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?

• Options
    As a wedding musician, I would freak out if I could hear the DJ playing in the room next to me.  It sounds terrible to have music clash.  Why would you have the DJ playing in the reception room during cocktail hour?  Is the cocktail hour in the reception room or in another space?  Musicians, especially just a keyboard, can move from your ceremony space to your cocktail hour space within a matter of minutes.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited May 2012

That's what I thought about music clashing, too! But when I talked to the coordinator at our venue she said that sometimes people choose to have both the DJ and the musician playing at the same time which got me all confused, so I figured I'd ask around. The cocktail hour is outside on the patio under the tent, but the coordinator was saying that sometimes a few guests choose to go inside in the reception room for various reasons (the reception room is open at that point and it has a big sliding door that separates it from the outside area). The only way I can see people going into the reception area and staying there is if they want to use the bar (the main bar is indoors) and then are too lazy to come back out. But we have an option of having a second bar outside, which we will most likely be doing since it's only an extra $100 or so. But again, according to the coordinator, some brides have chosen to have both the DJ and the musician so that the guests don't miss out on the music. Which didn't sound right to me personally but, again, I just started planning not tool long ago so I figured I'd ask around. Thanks for your input. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe the spaces are very separate and you can't hear from room to room. It might be worth to see how much more the DJ will charge you for the extra time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think I was editing my post when you were typing yours. lol The area are right next to each other, but maybe the door blocks the sound pretty good. The DJ is an extra $250 which is not too bad so it might make sense to have him get there earlier just in case. I can talk to him, too, to see what he thinks. Maybe when I visit the venue again closer to my date I'll try to check how the sound works and go from there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    haha stand in one room and scream while your FI stands in the other room! JK

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    haha good idea, we might just have to give it a try. Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    are you having your ceremony at Brookstone too?
  • Options
    Yes, we are having the ceremony on site. Is that what you guys are doing?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I would personally choose to just have the pianist and then the $100 for the outside bar. Cheaper than the $250 for the DJ's extra hour, and also I think it shows that your cocktail hour is on the patio (if it's cold or something the pianist can always move inside if the guests end up going in there for the hour). If I was a guest and there was both music playing in both spots I would be confused as to which room I was supposed to be in. As someone who likes DJ music better I would end up the reception room... as maybe many others might if they are like me. Then you end up with your guests in seperate rooms which makes less room for mingling. I don't know... seems like an easier/cheaper fix to just keep everybody in one spot lol Plus you wouldn't have to then worry about people hearing both music and the clashing
    126 Invited image
    37 Ready to Rock! image
    9 Party Poopers image
    80 Can't find the mailbox imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We plan on having an acoustic guitarist at our cocktail hour.  I would like him to be outside on the deck if it is nice out.  I don't think I want the DJ to play at the same time.  I would like him to eat and relax and get all set up.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:580755ad-a701-4b2c-99f3-f5bfcc5f478a">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would personally choose to just have the pianist and then the $100 for the outside bar. Cheaper than the $250 for the DJ's extra hour, and also I think it shows that your cocktail hour is on the patio (if it's cold or something the pianist can always move inside if the guests end up going in there for the hour). If I was a guest and there was both music playing in both spots I would be confused as to which room I was supposed to be in. <strong>As someone who likes DJ music better </strong>I would end up the reception room... as maybe many others might if they are like me. Then you end up with your guests in seperate rooms which makes less room for mingling. I don't know... seems like an easier/cheaper fix to just keep everybody in one spot lol Plus you wouldn't have to then worry about people hearing both music and the clashing
    Posted by msowena[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh say it ain't so! ;) Just the musician in me lashing out! lol

</div>

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:e60dda16-239b-48c5-9b15-25a148297849">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, we are having the ceremony on site. Is that what you guys are doing?
    Posted by anastassiiat[/QUOTE]

Yes. I just assumed the cocktail hour would be inside because I didn't think they could take the chairs away that quickly to use the space as a cocktail hour. Are they setting up tables and chairs for cocktail hour?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:80460647-0d64-47ea-9346-f02a7955b1ed">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour? : Yes. I just assumed the cocktail hour would be inside because I didn't think they could take the chairs away that quickly to use the space as a cocktail hour. Are they setting up tables and chairs for cocktail hour?
    Posted by Kfudge0714[/QUOTE]

Ha, good question. That's what it sounded like when I was talking to Kasia, but it makes sense that it will probably take them a while to set everything up. Now I wonder if they set up the food insisde, and just keep the patio open for everyone to go out and mingle? I'll e-mail them and see what they say.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Kfudge, I'm going to send you a PM with a copy of my e-mail from Brookstone about how they usually do cocktail hour.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    can you send it to me too please!  Thanks!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    Shannie, no problem! For some reason I can't figure out how to send a private message though - I've tried from my home laptop and from my work desktop, and for some reason it's just sending me to my profile page. I've turned my Pop-up blocker off, too, so not sure what the issue is. Do you girls hava an idea of why it won't let me get to the private message screen?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:634745de-c14c-4706-b003-647c23ce4231">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour? : Ha, good question. That's what it sounded like when I was talking to Kasia, but it makes sense that it will probably take them a while to set everything up. Now I wonder if they set up the food insisde, and just keep the patio open for everyone to go out and mingle? I'll e-mail them and see what they say.

We did our floor plan and the cheese and cracker display will be set up inside so I guess that's why I assumed it was inside.... I sent Alex an email on Friday and have yet to hear back from him. =/
  • Options

This is what Kasia sent me:

"The cocktail hour takes place outside and inside.  Most of your guests will probably come inside and some stay out on the patio after the ceremony.  The ceremony chairs remain on the patio and we also have cocktail tables and high boys out there for your guests throughout the whole ceremony, cocktail hour and reception time as well. "

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:4db968d4-3d0c-428f-b958-cffe1b669cb3">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is what Kasia sent me: "The cocktail hour takes place outside and inside.  Most of your guests will probably come inside and some stay out on the patio after the ceremony.  The ceremony chairs remain on the patio and we also have cocktail tables and high boys out there for your guests throughout the whole ceremony, cocktail hour and reception time as well. "

ok.. that makes sense... but now I'm wonder what the set up looks like =/  I've having trouble picturing the ceremony chairs set up and having high tables out there as well.
  • Options

I just looked at the brochure they have on their website, and on page 4 you can kind of see the high tables, they are off to the sides, and it looks like there is only a couple of them (from what I can see at least)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:437127a7-1eba-4e28-ab05-e1df1543cf86">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just looked at the brochure they have on their website, and on page 4 you can kind of see the high tables, they are off to the sides, and it looks like there is only a couple of them (from what I can see at least)

I'll have to take a look. I'm still waiting for Alex to respond to my email that I sent on Friday!
  • Options

The picture on the website shows two high tables and two low tables.  I would like it better if they took the chairs way.......

Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:78a9e1ca-a74b-47cf-8bf4-3c62a49cc456">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The picture on the website shows two high tables and two low tables.  I would like it better if they took the chairs way.......
    Posted by shannie11[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would like that too! I wonder if it's something you can discuss with them during the planning meeting?

Kfudge, when did you meet with Kasia to go over all the details? Did they contact you or did you have to reach out for that? Also, did you already have your food tasting? My wedding is pretty much a year after yours so I'm trying to figure out the timeline here. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:422f3aa8-599a-4e26-b5ca-a4d3720927d1">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour? : Yes, I would like that too! I wonder if it's something you can discuss with them during the planning meeting? Kfudge, when did you meet with Kasia to go over all the details? Did they contact you or did you have to reach out for that? Also, did you already have your food tasting? My wedding is pretty much a year after yours so I'm trying to figure out the timeline here. :)

I actually never worked with Kasia just Alex. I ended reaching out to Alex for our final meeting because the food tasting was in January and I wanted to do it at the same time because my Mom was flying in from FL for the food tasting.  We did the food tasting then our meeting on the same day right after.

seeing your getting married in June, I would assume your food tasting will also be in January like mine was.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-hampshire_musician-and-dj-for-the-cocktail-hour?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:101Discussion:a83f5462-c99e-4a4e-9c5e-59ec5b4a5775Post:d61346f9-6b91-4a54-b185-e43f867d64fc">Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Musician and DJ for the cocktail hour? : I actually never worked with Kasia just Alex. I ended reaching out to Alex for our final meeting because the food tasting was in January and I wanted to do it at the same time because my Mom was flying in from FL for the food tasting.  We did the food tasting then our meeting on the same day right after. seeing your getting married in June, I would assume your food tasting will also be in January like mine was.
    Posted by Kfudge0714[/QUOTE]

Great, good to know! Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards