Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Was it worth it?

Looking back, for those of you who are already married and spent a great deal of money on the wedding, was it worth it?

I can't really define "great deal of money" since everyone has a different budget. I guess I am asking if you found it worth it to spend a large amount of money on the wedding (whether a large amount is $2,000 or $25,000) and if you have any regrets looking back.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Was it worth it?

• Options
    None what so ever. It was worth every penny. 

• Options
    It was absolutely worth every cent. My memories from our wedding day are priceless.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    It was one hundred percent worth it.  Our wedding cost a little over 30,000 dollars and I'm so happy we spent the money. In fact, there were a few things I decided not to do that were three hundred here or there and I actually wish I had spent that too.  You only get married once.  Our wedding day was perfect though.  We hired awesome vendors and they made everything so wonderful.  Maybe if there had been a million disasters, I would've regretted the money but there were none.  There could have been disasters but I think our vendors were good and circumvented all of the issues.  
  • Options

I think our wedding was worth every penny.  Even H and my dad who had griped at my mom and I many times for the cost of certain things (mainly flowers and chair covers) said at the end of the night it was worth every penny.  Everything went smooth, and we had nothing that ruined our day.  We had a few minor things that were funny though, like H had a hole in his tux pants, but was able to get a new pair before the ceremony started. 

The only thing that we both feel was a ton of money that we didn't really utilize was the limo.  We only booked it for 4 hours, and the few places we used it for were all within 10-15 minutes of each other.  So even after a 50% discount and only booking for 4 hours, it was still $500 after tip, and we were in it for a total of 45 minutes.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It was totally worth it.  When we first got engaged, we sat down and talked about what was important to us for our wedding.  We decided that the important aspects were the photographs, open bar (we ended up doing just a few varieties of wine and beer), and honeymoon.  While we did not go cheap on venue, DJ, flowers, and other details, we did not go as expensive or all out as we could have.  Everything was beautiful, fun, and perfect.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    Our wedding was totally worth it. We did not go into debt for it, which was what I was worried about. While we did not have as fancy of a wedding as I would have liked, it was still everything I dreamed of and was very nice. There were just some things that I would have liked to have that we had to cut to stay within budget. We did not get any help from my parents, so we did it all ourselves. Both Grandma's helped us a bit and H's parents paid for the RD.

We had an awesome HM, which was probably the best part aside from the wedding. It really helped me unwind and come down off of the wedding high.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers! I appreciate everyone's responses.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It was worth every cent spent,i would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    I wish I COULD do it all over again. Like, just re-live the same day how it happened LOL.

• Options
    totally worth it. I think our wedding was a little over $8000. It was the best day of my entire life and I wish I could relive it over and over again!
  • Options
    I only had 50 people and spent more than your suggested high end.  I probably could have done other things with that money -- a lot of things.

But, it's what YOU want to take away from the experience.  I know if I could go back in time,  I would do it again and I probably would spend even more money. 

I will say, I did not get to ENJOY the wedding the way I imagined. It went by so quickly.  I had a sip of champagne, a bite of food and I hit the dance floor.  But, I feel like I didn't spend enough time with everyone.  And I feel like I let people who left early affect my spirits.  I was wondering "am I boring you?"
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    I'm about 50/50 whether it was worth it or not.

Definitely towards the end of planning, when it became SO stressful, I totally wish we hadn't done it.  The day did turn out beautiful, but I agree with PP.  The day went by so fast, it was a huge blur, I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I wanted to.  I barely got to eat the food (which was *amazing and I"m so bummed about!) and I missed talking to a lot of people because they left early.  To truthfully say it was worth the money is hard to do.

I kind of wish we had spent half what we did, had a smaller wedding (like 30 people, just our immediate family and best friends).  It would have been nice to save the money and actually enjoy it more.

But on the other hand, if I didn't have the big wedding, I think I would have always wished I had. 
  • Options
    It's hard to say.  We are both substitute teachers waiting for full-time jobs so we were in a bit of a financial pinch by going over 300 or so on the budget waiting for subbing to start.  I did have an amazing day and it all went beautifully!  I was so thankful to pick a cheaper venue, split the rental costs with the wedding the day before, got a gorgeous Maggie Sottero on ebay for 400 less, and had a friend do photos that were amazing for a good discount.  I was very blessed with those financial gifts.  We did well with budget, but it was hard to really know how much little things would add up.  I felt like I spent way too much on flowers, but they were gorgeous. 
  • Options
    Worth every dime -- we wouldn't change a single thing and it was the best day of my life so far. 
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards