Arizona-Phoenix

Who is your dermatologist?

I'm looking to see a derm to clear up my skin.  I looked up the list of derms that are covered by my insurance, and the list is huge.  Who would you recommend?  Is there anyone I should stay away from?

Thanks!

Re: Who is your dermatologist?

• edited December 2011
    How bad is it??? Have you talked to your regular doctor yet? I was able to just get on antibiotics and it cleared mine up. Have you tried getting facials regularly? Are you on BCP? I am on Ocella and havent had a pimple in like 2-3 years and I used to have BAD skin, like people called me the pimply woman...I am not kidding you. Good luck
  • NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a derm for acne, but what skin care regimen do you have?
    Photobucket
  • applemarieapplemarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go to Stockton she is located in Ahwatukee.  She is super busy and it takes months to get in with her...but the other doctors that work with her are great too so u could try them as well!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Its been about 8 years since I had clear skin, and BC didn't do anything for it, better or worse.  I've tried a lot of things, and I figure its better to go pay my $30 copay and get a professional's opinion than to keep buying products that don't work.  Plus, there is some scaring I would like taken care of.

I really hope people aren't calling me the pimply woman behind my back!
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend buying a clarisonic skincare brush (it's the one beauty product I swear by) and use it daily up until your wedding.  It works!  Your skin will absorb your beauty creams much better after using it too!

As for a dermatologist, I'd pick an office that does consultations for either pixel or fraxel laser treatments.  Those laser treatments help with collagen stimulation which will improve the texture of skin and reduce scarring. But be prepared to spend a few hundred dollars per treatment.  :-( One of my favorite websites for researching cosmetic treatments is www.realself.com

• NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know one of the best things that helped my skin was buying a really good exfoliator.  I use Modern Friction from Origins, and it is comparable to a microderm abrasion.  It really helps get all of the dead skin off, making your face really smooth.  This in turn keeps your pores clean and your face less oily. 

I also started getting facials regularly.  I get mine done at the Aveda Institute (Carstens) by ASU.  Well, I used to haha!  Now I do it at the Aveda Institute in NC.  I noticed a big difference in my breakouts.

Good luck at the Derm! I hope they have some good options for you!
    Photobucket
  • emily.ayalaemily.ayala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go to Dr. Magne on 83rd and Thunderbird. If you can't get her, her PAs are really good, too.

I, personally, starting using ProActiv and that has helped with my acne.

The laser treatments are a good idea to get your skin looking better more quickly. Just know that depending on the type of laser and how abrasive the treatment you may be looking at a little downtime. I would definitely go to a Derm's office for the laser treatments. I believe Dr. Magne's office does them. Oh, and stay away from American Laser Center. They're terrible.
  • emily.ayalaemily.ayala member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh and microdermabrasions are great, too! Those are another treatment that really helped my skin. If you don't know what it is, it is a like a deep exfoliation. It is a machine that has what looks like a fat, pen tip that is run all over your face. It blows out tiny crystals that slough off dead skin, dirt, etc and then sucks everything back up into a seperate tube simultaneously. It will clear out your pores and help shrink them, help with oily skin, and even out skin tone and texture.
  • edited December 2011
    this is all good info!  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards