Jewish Weddings

bringing ketubah to wedding

I ordered a diy frame ketubah from mp artworks.  It looks great, however it's bulky.  I'm wondering how other people transported their ketubahs to their wedding location.  TIA!

Re: bringing ketubah to wedding

• edited December 2011
    Just curious, are you having it displayed on an easel during the ceremony?  Will it be there already when you walk down the aisle?

If you can get to the location ahead of time - or have a DOC or trusted family member - see if one of them can do it for you.
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the process of ordering our Ketubah. I assume that I will be responsible for bringing it myself (I am sort of a perfectionist and not sure to trust others enough). I had not thought of how to display it though. What sort of pen do you use to sign it and since it will be read during the wedding- should I slip it in a frame or? 
  • edited December 2011
    My ketubah company provided a pen with the ketubah (I ordered from mpartworks), so we'll be using that.  I thought of framing it for the ceremony, but I don't have an easel and don't want to spend money for something I'll use one day, so still not sure how I may display it.  I think I may just get a mat for it, surround it with protective coverings so it can be used - I guess just have it on the table under the chuppah or on the floor against the table - and then after the wedding, put it in a frame to protect it - gives me something to do during the yichud.  :)
  • lyss3210lyss3210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My venue is providing an easel.  But if I dont put it in the frame, then there wont be a protective covering over the front of the ketubah.  If I put it in the frame, someone will actually have to put it together and that's my dilemma.
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I mentioned this to my mum. She is more concerned with it being protected that displaying it t the reception. I suppose we could slip it into a frame; but i also agree with a PP. I don't have an easel and don't want to spend extra for something that is not needed. I am ordering our ketubah from the same place...
  • edited December 2011
    We aren't bringing it to the reception, so it would be more to have it on display during the ceremony and then when needed, the rabbi can take it and read from it.  Maybe I'll just have someone hold it until the time it'll be read.  Why are these things so complicated?
  • Jeni35Jeni35 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point. After we sign the Ketubah, it's not like I am going to walk up the aisle with it. I will ask the rabbi if there is somewhere it is commonly placed. 
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had ours framed before the ceremony, except that the glass was left out of it.  This protected the ketubah, and also meant that there was no chance of anyone signing in the area that would ultimately be covered by the mat.  It was bulky.  However, we were driving to the ceremony with a lot of other bulky stuff (including two wedding dresses), so we just put the ketubah in the car.

We bought an easel from another bride for display purposes, and resold the easel afterward. Since we sold the easel for the same price we paid for it, that did not produce any additional expense.   We used the easel to display the ketubah at the ceremony (before and after the signing part), and to display it at our at-home reception.

• lyss3210lyss3210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    2dbride - it sounds like your ketubah was like how ours was going to be.  It's already taped to the matting, and resting on the frame but the glass is separate.  I'd prefer not to bring the glass with me, because the rest is easy to transport.  My question is - did you protect the front of your ketubah after you displayed it on the easel?  I'm only displaying mine at the ceremony too.  TIA!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We transported ours in the box the professional framer gave us, and put a piece of foam core inside the box, in front of the ketubah, to protect the front.  That worked for us--and we had to transport it from MD to MA for the wedding, then back to DC for the reception, then back to our home in MD.  (Yeah, we had a complicated wedding!)
  • edited December 2011
    ours is rolled up in a poster mail carrier, you know like a long big cylinder.  How do I flatten it out to take it to the ceremony!?!  Help please!
  • edited December 2011
    Flatten it like you would anything else.  Make sure you have a clean surface and place tissue paper, or other protective paper/plastic, then fold it out, put paper/plastic on top, and place something at the edges to hold it down.  It'll be straight within a day.
  • LBRM_NJLBRM_NJ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought a piece of hard foam board and had it cut to size.  Then, I put photo corners in each corner and, after flattening my ketubah for a week or so, put it in them.  I also bought a piece of thick flexible plastic and put that in the photo corners, too.  It covered and protected the ketubah, but, was easy to remove for signing.  Worked like a charm!
    Lisa
    The Knot lost my info, but, I've been married since 6/19/05!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards