California-Los Angeles
Options

Don't know what to do? :(

So, My parents told me they won't be able to help me out on our wedding :( N now i don't know what to do because we won't be able to pay for whole thing our self. Any has any ideas of a nice affordable wedding (reception/venue) I was thinking of just getting married in Vegas but i know myself I want my family there :( I saw this chapel online "The Albertson wedding Chapel" but then i don't know where to have the reception part?
Gosh, so much on my mind...I just want to have a wedding even if takes to have a small one! Please, if anyone has any ideas it would be sooooooo MUCH HELP!!!!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Don't know what to do? :(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Soooo sorry to hear that - but in order to try and help I have a lot of questions.
    What is your budget?
    When are you planning on getting married?  Is it during the "wedding months" because they charge more then?
    How many people do you want to invite?

Friday, Sunday and mid week weddings are way more affordable.
    Even a morning or afternoon wedding too.
    Maybe heavy appetizers instead of sit down or buffet.
    Maybe pushing your date back a little to save more money.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    joeymichjoeymich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello :)

Anywhere between $8,000 to $10,000 (I know that a litttle)
    Guest: 140 (i know i have to cut the guest list, but I hate doing that)
    Date: July 22, 2011
    and I thought about pushing the date back, but I waited 7 years for him to porpose :) I just want to marry him...lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would look into public areas, like parks, where they might charge a minimal fee for an event. You will have to bring in your own table rentals, etc, though. you can definitely get married in Vegas - check out some packages and check out the local Vegas board on the knot. I looked into it and you can usually have anywhere from 10-50 people at a ceremony/reception. Many of the girls there will tell you to do a hotel suite reception - rent a large suite and lay out a bunch of food and drinks.

If you go through a venue in LA, don't do a full bar - beer and wine are usually cheaper than mixed drinks.

You could do a mid-afternoon reception or evening (after 8) reception and just serve finger foods or desserts so you don't spend money on a full meal.

check out herecomestheguide.com and projectwedding.com for reviews - the LA brides swear by both those sites!

There's a Budget Brides board here on the Knot, which is really helpful. And a DIY board too. Also, the Knot budgeting tool might be a good place to start.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI proposed after dating for 8 years and will be getting married 2 years after he proposed becuase we needed to save up money (our parents couldn't help us).  I was pretty bummed at first, having to wait so long to marry him. But after thinking about it, we figured we could wait so we can have the wedding that we wanted.  Time goes by super fast, when wedding planning. Don't be discouraged if you need to push back the wedding.

Now if your heart is set on 2011, then cutting the guest list will help you stick to your budget. Friday/Sunday weddings are usually more affordable, and getting married in off season also helps. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DH and I were married 2 days after our 10th anniversary.  If you can't afford to have a wedding when you're planning on it, I would suggest pushing the date back so you don't begin your married life in debt.

There are tons of ways to save money on weddings though.  Find a reception site that allows you to choose your caterer and bring in your own alcohol.

We're going to Lawry's on Monday to celebrate our 1st anniversary - I was looking online and they do weddings and receptions there, and it's actually fairly reasonable considering you get an amazing meal too!  Had I known about it, I would have checked into this venue when I was planning my wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    soniatewssoniatews member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I feel for you girls!! I also waited 8 years! And our budget is also $10,000 BUT our guest list is only 50 people and we're getting married in my future in laws back yard to save money.

I did look at other venues pretty extensively however, the one that I felt gave me the most bang for my buck that was considering was the Bungalow Club, I emailed them and they got back to me with a quote in a matter of days.

Good Luck!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a bridesmaid at a wedding that took place at Lawry's in BH in 2006.  She had about 150 and I think she paid like 50.00 a person.  The food was amazing too.
    She was on a budget as well and it helped her save a lot of money. 
    Her wedding was on a Saturday - but in the morning - it started at 11:00 (she did the ceremony and reception there).  We had to be out I think by 4:00 so they could get ready for their dinner crowd. 
    She didn't provide any alcohol - so this helped keep her cost down as well. 
    I don't think she spent more than 10,000 for everything.

The only thing I didn't like about Lawry's was to me it was dark inside - there were no windows from what I can remember and I didn't like the way the tables/seating was - but I don't think there was anything she could have done about that.

GL we are here for you.
    My Planning Bio - updated 4/19/10
    Our Wedding Teasers
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    243 invited image 170 Said YES image 45 Can't party US image 28 Haven't heard from image Invitations sent out on 4/6/10 - Our RSVP date is 5/15/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    emailneelyemailneely member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am working in the same budget range and I am doing a Friday night wedding with catering, bar, everything. You just have to put in twice as much work to find everything.

Check out The Plaza at The Cabrillo Marina for the reception- they are super affordable. You rent the space and then bring in everything yourself - they do provide tables and chairs which is a huge cost cutter.

Check out Craigslist for bartenders, caterers and photographers - I found mine on there.

You can totally have a beautiful wedding on that budget - I know it seems totally daunting at times but things get settled and it works.

If you want details, you can email me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second the Cabrillo Marina Plaza :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-los-angeles_dont-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:68Discussion:512db7c3-8983-4961-a570-627f68cde4a2Post:6bf9889e-3755-4ac4-85b6-cbb447fda5a3">Re: Don't know what to do? :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH and I were married 2 days after our 10th anniversary.  If you can't afford to have a wedding when you're planning on it, I would suggest pushing the date back so you don't begin your married life in debt. There are tons of ways to save money on weddings though.  Find a reception site that allows you to choose your caterer and bring in your own alcohol. We're going to Lawry's on Monday to celebrate our 1st anniversary - I was looking online and they do weddings and receptions there, and it's actually fairly reasonable considering you get an amazing meal too!  Had I known about it, I would have checked into this venue when I was planning my wedding.
    Posted by CurlyGirlyGirl[/QUOTE]

I was actually reading a blog about some girl who did a daytime wedding at Lawry's for just over $10,000.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I second what other knotties have said, especially the guest count.

This might be a good time to get creative, and maybe to things slightly less conventionally. Maybe you can have a big picnic? One of the best weddings I ever attended was a BBQ with an ipod! Remember, it's a big party to celebrate your love and commitment to each other, and so what if you don't have fancy napkins or personalized favors, and all the other stuff the wedding industry makes you think you must have. 

Also, your friends and family love you, and will have a nice time no matter what.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    girlfriend, i know the feeling with a tight budget.
    i shopped around and found a great photographer who worked with my budget....
    www.goesphotography.com
    as for the other vendors, it's a buyers market with the economy.
    also, craigslist has top pros, but hard to find them.

good luck
    jacky

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards