Missouri-Kansas City

Looking for an unusual theme, Yay or Nay?

So we set a date, booked a location, picked out our attendants, but now I'm trying to think of a theme for the wedding/reception. We are having the wedding and the reception at The Belvoir Winery, and I like the whole winery feel, and possibly using a purple as one of our wedding colors, but I need some opinions about an idea we had. We were thinking about doing a masquerade theme. I was thinking about incorporating a mask into a few of the centerpieces, and possibly making some really masks for favors. Maybe as people came through the doors they could pick out their mask. Maybe we could even do some fun photos with some of our guests with their masks on. Anyway, let me know what you think. Would this be really hard to pull off? Below is a picture of something like what I was thinking of Smile

Re: Looking for an unusual theme, Yay or Nay?

• prideeinpynkprideeinpynk member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think, depending on your guest list, making the masks for everyone could be time consuming and buying them can get a little on the expensive side if you want nice, decorated ones. However, I think it's a cute idea! I would think it was fun if I went to a masquerade themed wedding. However, you are going to have some people who don't feel that weddings are the place for "themes," but to each his or her own. :) Good luck!

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• kelleyku05kelleyku05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be fun!  People have gone to dozens of weddings, so changing it up a little is always a great idea!  If you don't want to use masks everywhere, you can use the feathers and other decor from the masks in elements of the wedding as well.  You could even encourage your guests to bring their own mask!
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for your opinions and suggestions :) I really do need to decide if the idea would be too expensive or not. I think it would be a ton of fun and it could be sooo pretty!
  • edited December 2011
    I think you can do it.  Just remember, a little goes a long way with themes, which should also save you some time and cash.  Having masks and feathers and such incorporated into centerpieces and other small details will make a big statement without having to go overboard.  Black and purple colors will really pop too.
  • edited December 2011

Okay, so I'm totally picturing the centerpieces. I think that is a great idea. An additional option to incorporate all of your guests is the ever-popular photobooth. You could make like 6-7 more intricate masks, and provide them for your guests to use as they get their picture(s) taken. I definitely think it could get up there, cost-wise, if you provide masks for each and every guest. But I definitely think you could still pull off the theme without having to do that.

I agree with PP. A little goes a LONG way. Centerpieces, photobooth, decorations at cake table, maybe a silly first dance with masks. There are ideas out there that don't have to break the bank.

Hope it works out!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OpiesladyOpieslady member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Belvoir too and I think that theme would go awesome.  I wasn't very creative and am going with a green/purple winery theme.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You could also throw in some feathers in the girls hair- I was at a wedding where all the bridesmaids wore peacock feathers in their hair (the dresses were a deep green/turquise color) and it looked amazing. That way you could tie in the girls with the theme- plus using feathers in the bouquet, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards