Catholic Weddings
Options

Just had a our Engaged Enrichment Day this weekend! (long)

I went in there with an open mind and I think that my FI and I both took some value away from it that we didn't think we would.  We even did one of the "homework" assignments last night and made our "contract" for fair fighting lol.  It was a funny exercise at times but I think it also will help us in the future though too!

Despite the fact that it would mean giving up 2 days of football...I do wish it were maybe one of the weekends instead of just the day.  I felt that there were some important topics that were brushed over or not addressed at all that I would have liked to be included.

The main one I thought was wrongfully excluded was a finance discussion.  With the economy how it is and why it went wrong in the first place, I think that this should have been priority #1 especially since finances between couples cause a lot of marital problems too.  I know finances differ from couple to couple but I think a general discussion of different ways to approach the subject of budgeting, how much you want to save, how much do you need to save before you have children, etc would have helped us a lot.   

My cousin said that when she and her husband did it 11 years ago, they were asked to write down on a piece of paper how much they would feel comfortable spending on an item without discussing it with the other.  They then shared it with their FI.  My cousin wrote down $500...her husband wrote down $50 lol.  She said it was funny at the time but it actually started a helpful discussion between the 2 of them on how they were going to manage their spending. 

So that was the one thing I really felt the day was lacking but I honestly don't think that the other topics dragged on in any way so I think this only could have gotten accomplished by making the program longer.  A parenting discussion might have been nice too (at least an activity where the couples could talk about their views on discipline, education, etc).

Communication and conflict resolution took up probably 90% of the day.  The discussion was extremely helpful though and the main couple running the day were a funny couple to see interact during these discussions.  They were so helpful when it came to talking over conflicts (and entertaining too!).

The NFP discussion was led by a guest couple since the main couple did not use the method.  The guest couple was extremely nice and open during their presentation. It was kind of a shock to the audience a little bit though when it came out at the end during Q&A how many of their 5 kids were not planned.  The women had already told us that the first method they tried did not work for her body so most of us were thinking 1 or 2 were not planned because the first way did not work.  Oh no.  They didn't switch to a new method until after the 4th unplanned pregnancy.  The 5th one was successfully planned with another method though.  Based on talking with people after, I think it scared some of us when the number 4 got thrown out as the unplanned aspect. 

Unfortunately though the couple leading the day did say that our archdiocese is implementing a more conference-style presentation now for these engaged enrichment days.  They were allowing couples who had been doing it for awhile (ours was on year 19 as leading these) to continue doing it the "old way" but any new programs were going to be more presentation-based by experts, psychologists, etc by topic.  Our couple said this was there last year doing it to allow for the "new way" to take over.  Kinda sad!

So yeah...anyone who is going into theirs have fun!!  Also, I would probably recommend the longer weekend since I'm assuming more topics would have gotten discussed than what got covered in a day.

Re: Just had a our Engaged Enrichment Day this weekend! (long)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yours sounds a lot of different than ours.  Down here, we had a weekend, packed out, boring, and it wore us out.  Granted - there were couples that definitely needed it and they definitely got stuff out of it.  I think there should be a prelim test or review to see if you, as a couple, need the weekend.  We didn't cover as much finance as they needed to - I mean one girl, during a group presentation didn't even know what 0% financing meant - seriously?!!!!!  As for our NFP couple - they were in their first year of marriage and they started the NFP 6 months before the wedding but abstained during that time and then within 3 months, planned, she was pregnant.  I know it's not too new of a method but it may still be new to the point where it's hard to find couple who are comfortable talking about it.  Anyways - your request for the weekend thing, I would fight that :-)  We showed up at 6 pm on Friday night.  Discussion and writing began at 8 pm, went to 11:30 pm.  Breakfast was at 7 am the next morning and again - we went til 11:00 pm.  Then on Sunday, 7 am - 3pm.  LONG weekend - I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think that weekend sounds ridiculous!  I don't think it's ever justified starting things at 7 am lol.  I just thought ours left out some topics I felt were important for all couples (like finances) and maybe that would've meant only expanding ours by an hour or 2.  I could have tolerated that.  Your weekend just sounds like overkill so I totally sympathize!

I can't believe someone didn't know what 0% financing was!  That's just scary.  That's why I think the discussion needs to be added to the agenda without question.  Clueless people like that are the people who cause so much trouble in our economy.  Even though my FI and I are very good about managing our money and budgeting as individuals, I still think it would have been beneficial to talk about merging budgets and things of that nature.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our EE weekend was exactly like what JaciAngel described. It was very emotionally draining for me and needless to say, we both needed a day to recouperate when we got home late that Sunday evening even though it didn't happen.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_just-engaged-enrichment-day-this-weekend-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:e8d0b488-27d2-4868-9cfd-22b6cf7c0f28Post:4150e421-c40a-4beb-8477-6b0e557ecd19">Re: Just had a our Engaged Enrichment Day this weekend! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our EE weekend was exactly like what JaciAngel described. It was very emotionally draining for me and needless to say, we both needed a day to recouperate when we got home late that Sunday evening <strong>even though it didn't happen.
    </strong>Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

Ugh, doesn't it seem that's the way it always is?? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards