Christian Weddings
Options

Hello

Do you guys have advice on a wedding where one side of the family is catholic and the other side of the family is baptist?

Re: Hello

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_catholic-couple-with-christian-family-need-christian-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2f5d7319-5d0a-4fee-95c4-73074fd23178Post:ec6204b6-a9cd-4902-b2c6-48e2e18a2b2c">Re: Hello</a>:
    [QUOTE]   Nwwood- Not all catholic weddings are two hours.  What you attended was a full mass wedding.  They also have a nuptial mass wedding, which is about 45 minutes and does not involve communion.  
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks for the info! Now I'm kinda glad they did the mass one so we could experience it.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your input!  I have actually only been to one catholic wedding and it was different than even the one you attended.  I'm the one who changed denominations  from baptist to catholic.  I didn't even know that catholic weddings could last two hours!

From what you said, I think I will plan to have a program that outlines what is going on in the wedding. I will try to get out by word of mouth how long the wedding will be.   Thanks again for your input!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_catholic-couple-with-christian-family-need-christian-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2f5d7319-5d0a-4fee-95c4-73074fd23178Post:0a26b467-4b5b-43f5-8600-9ff6387628b2">Re: Hello</a>:
    [QUOTE]Background: I went to a Catholic/Baptist wedding as a nondenominational who grew up conservative Baptist. The groom was Baptist and the bride was Catholic, it was a Catholic ceremony.  I thought it was really fun because I like to try new things so here are the biggest parts that stood out to me.  -Most of the ceremonies I've been to are maybe 15 mins to a half an hour. This ceremony was almost 2 hours and pretty much all the kids at one time or another were melting down and being held in the back of the church. -During the ceremony one half the room was participating, kneeling,taking communion and the other side (even though taking communion is normal) wasn't allowed to. Even the groom couldn't take communion. -I'm not sure I was prepared when the priest prayed all the women would be more fertile, get married, and have children while the bride went to kneel before Mary.  - I did feel it was a neat way to get to know the bride more and understand her faith. However it was more something the baptist side watched while the other side participated. -Our favors were prayer cards with Mary on them that we could keep and remind us to pray for the couple. I thought they were really cool. I still have mine.  My advice would be to know who the strong personalities are on both sides, and you and your FH as well. The mother of the groom was pretty go with the flow so she wasn't hurt when she wasn't allowed to participate.  There were a few people who didn't know the ceremony was going to be so long, as long as you make that clear maybe word of mouth if that's what you'd like to do. Nothing about the ceremony bothered me... what stood out to all of us was that it took over 2 hours for the food to be served at the reception. In fact my family ended up leaving and getting Thai food at a sit down restaurant. I was just getting my food when they came back. (We had small children and we'd run out of snacks to give them). 
    Posted by nwwoodsybride[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    My FH and I are both practicing catholics.  We love our catholic faith.  However, my changing denominations from baptist to catholic has caused hurt feelings in the family which I didn't intend.  That is why I am looking for input.  My FH and I would like to have a full mass with the eucharist because that type of ceremony would make us the happiest. 
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_catholic-couple-with-christian-family-need-christian-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2f5d7319-5d0a-4fee-95c4-73074fd23178Post:ec6204b6-a9cd-4902-b2c6-48e2e18a2b2c">Re: Hello</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well what are you and your FI?  If either of you is a practicing catholic then that is different if your family is practicing catholic.  I would do what you or your FI wish to do for the service.  If you guys are Baptists, do a Baptist wedding.  If you are catholic, do a catholic wedding.  If you are one of each, then you will have to compromise.  For a practicing catholic, being married in the Catholic Church is a big deal and a sacrament.  The problem is you can't really incorporate ideas from either into a mixed ceremony.  I need some more details to answer fully.  What denomination are you and your FI?  Is it important to either one of you which church you get married in?     Nwwood- Not all catholic weddings are two hours.  What you attended was a full mass wedding.  They also have a nuptial mass wedding, which is about 45 minutes and does not involve communion.  
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_catholic-couple-with-christian-family-need-christian-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:2f5d7319-5d0a-4fee-95c4-73074fd23178Post:659734aa-7903-4ab4-b0f9-4e9e6d8e2458">Re: Hello</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FH and I are both practicing catholics.  We love our catholic faith.  However, my changing denominations from baptist to catholic has caused hurt feelings in the family which I didn't intend.  That is why I am looking for input.  <strong>My FH and I would like to have a full mass with the eucharist because that type of ceremony would make us the happiest</strong>.  In Response to Re: Hello :
    Posted by lsbryant937[/QUOTE]

<div>do this but like the PP said, make sure people know so they can prepare for it</div>
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards