Just Engaged and Proposals

Possible date? Input wanted!

We're thinking May 11th, 2013. Our first date was May 5th, but the 11th was our first kiss, and it also lands on a Saturday next year. However, it's also the day before Mother's Day. Now, we think that it mens that more people may be in town for Mother's Day, but I was wondering if there could be any problems with it.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!

Re: Possible date? Input wanted!

• the only thing you might want to consider is that with May 11 you will have to share Mothers day with your anniversary every so many years. 
    FI and I's anniversary is May 12 so there has been a year when we couldnt celebrate because of the mothers day events with our family. 
    It might make more sense for ppl who are out of town to come in for mothers day especially if you have a lot of them who may not be able to make the trip twice in a week. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have international relatives, and it would be nice to have them in and for my mother to be able to celebrate with her mother and siblings.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
  • How far away are most of your guests? If it's local, it might bring MORE people in town for the wedding weekend.
  • Well, I can tell you that you have chosen my BFF's wedding anniversary and hey will be married 22 years next May. She seems to think the day works quite well! Anyhoo, Check with your VIP's and make sure it works for them. Those are the guests you absolutely wnat to be able to attend. If it works for all of them, then go for it. It is possible you may have OOT guests who decline due to Mother's Day but some may attend. If you choose Mother's Day just remember that it is on you to be incredibly gracious regarding those who decline due to the holiday. I have grown kids and I wouldn't expect them to skip a wedding for that.
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I will throw out one other potential conflict for you to consider. That particular weekend is traditionally a fairly standard college graduation weekend at Illinois universities. Check your guest list to determine whether that may impact anyone you might invite. It is thoughtful of you to consider your guests regarding Mother's Day. I would not have any problem attending a wedding the day before Mother's Day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_possible-date-input-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:3061b73b-85eb-481e-b5fd-df7d1dbce35bPost:e454d21f-1efd-4069-9267-1b9be619f37b">Possible date? Input wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're thinking May 11th, 2013. Our first date was May 5th, but the 11th was our first kiss, and it also lands on a Saturday next year. However, it's also the day before Mother's Day. Now, we think that it mens that more people may be in town for Mother's Day, but I was wondering if there could be any problems with it.
    Posted by charbakes[/QUOTE]

before you set your heart on that date , you need to look into the venues you want and if that date is even available.  Venues are booking up early, and many may already be booked for a wedding less than a year out
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_possible-date-input-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:3061b73b-85eb-481e-b5fd-df7d1dbce35bPost:06491c0b-b72c-430b-84d3-259238dae53f">Re: Possible date? Input wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Possible date? Input wanted! : before you set your heart on that date , you need to look into the venues you want and if that date is even available.  Venues are booking up early, and many may already be booked for a wedding less than a year out
    Posted by DMoore421[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  Also nabbing a florist on Mother's Day weekend can be obscenely difficult, even with advance notice.</div><div>
    </div><div>Other than that, I would be perfectly fine attending a wedding the day before Mother's Day.  Check with your VIPs and go from there.

</div>
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My MOH got married the day before Mothers Day and there were no issues. In fact the next day, she and her new H took both their moms out for brunch, which I thought was nice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • My Grandparents got married on May 10th, a day that ended up falling on Mother's day a lot.  They were married over 50 years until he died, on Mother's Day (which fell on their anniversary that year).  My Grandmother always thought it made Mother's Day that much more special to her (being able to celebrate with her children, and also celebrate the day she married the man who helped create said children).  So I wouldn't see any problems with getting married around Mother's Day.  But that's just me.

• As a guest I wouldn't mind at all. My brother got married last mothers day weekend (although it was the 7th and I don't think that Mothers day could ever fall on the 7th).
    However, venues are definitely filling up fast, and in general florists may not be willing to take on as many weddings that weekend, so they could be booking up fast as well. I'm a BM in a May 11 wedding next year and she's had everthing big booked for 2 months.
  • There's a lot you need to consider when choosing a date.  I would first have an idea of venues to find out if that date is even available.  I would also touch base with your VIPs - basically people that you absolutely want there, usually immediate family and BFFs.  If those things work out then I'd go with it!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_possible-date-input-wanted?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:3061b73b-85eb-481e-b5fd-df7d1dbce35bPost:1ee36a2f-078d-445c-a816-80428a5fe3d4">Re: Possible date? Input wanted!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will throw out one other potential conflict for you to consider. That particular weekend is traditionally a fairly standard college graduation weekend at Illinois universities. Check your guest list to determine whether that may impact anyone you might invite. It is thoughtful of you to consider your guests regarding Mother's Day. I would not have any problem attending a wedding the day before Mother's Day.
    Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]

Well, I live in Vermont, so...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards