Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Williams-Sonoma Gold Touch

The Williams-Sonoma Gold Touch bakeware keeps catching my eye. I was wondering if any of you ladies have these and if so, would you recommend them? I'm interested in the bakeware set (includes muffin tin, cookie sheet with cooling rack, 2 cake pans, and half sheet).

I'm wary of the "use and care" instructions on the website. No abrasive cleaning products, handwash only, no scouring pads. It sounds like they would be a hassle to clean. It also makes me nervous that it says "Due to this bakeware’s heat efficiency, we suggest monitoring the oven temperature and baking time for the first few uses, then making adjustments to recipes as necessary". I don't like the idea of having to constantly "guess" which temperature I should use when I'm baking.

They get such great reviews and I'm tempted to add them to my registry every time I visit the website, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has firsthand experience or if they're as much of a hassle as they seem?

Re: Williams-Sonoma Gold Touch

• Options
    So, the reason that gold touch is supposed to be great is that you don't have to switch between light and dark pans. If you already don't do that, then gold touch is probably not much of a priority for you, especially if you don't want to bother with hand washing them.

I adjust my bake-time and temperature all of the time, as do most bakers who know their ovens and equipment well. Learn to do it, and it will make your baking better.
  • Options
    If you like Gold Touch, you should check out USA Pans.   Williams Sonoma actually had the USA Pan company make/distribute their GoldTouch line so it is essentially the same thing besides the gold.  You can purchase USA Pan at BBB and Macy's, and possibly other vendors .  I would check it out if you were interested in the GoldTouch - USA Pan has great reviews and I put the entire line on my registry.  :)  
  • Options
    I believe that goldtouch is made by chicago metallic, not USA pans, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

OP, the other things about them is they're incredibly thick, which means they won't warp and heating will be even.  And PP is right about light vs dark pans - this eliminates the need for both sets.  We're registering for it because we are in an apartment, and I don't have space to store two sets of pans.

If you're not somebody who has ever monitored your oven, you might want to try it sometime - it's really easy and it makes your baking a lot better.  It just takes a couple of practice runs to get it.  I correct baking times/add info about which rack to use in my cookbooks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You are right Hoffse - they were at one time manufactured by Chicago Metallic, but since then they have changed manufacturers to USA Pan.  Not sure when this occurred - but if you are in the store and look at the back of the pans I believe it says Manufactured exclusively for WS by USA Pan or some reference to them.  On WS's website it will just say it's manufactured in the USA by a 50-year old North American Company. 

I seem nerdy that I know all this but did quite a bit of research on baking pans before registering since it is something I really need and wanted to have for a lifetime.  But I also wanted it to be a good value.   This consumer research website helped me out quite a bit when doing my registry research:   http://www.consumersearch.com/loaf-pans/williams-sonoma-goldtouch-nonstick-1-lb-loaf-pan

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I didn't read the responses above, but I am IN LOVE with that set. I bake every week and it's my mainstay. I bought the set over a year ago and couldn't be happier. Everything bakes evenly, the pans cool quickly once they're out of the oven and they are incredibly easy to clean with a soft scrubber so you don't need a scouring pad. A huge thumbs up from this baker!
    Married since May 12, 2012
  • Options
    Ah got it - I'm behind the times!  Either way, they're pretty awesome :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    These are the only pans I use- worth every penny in my opinion, they bake really evenly and everything comes out looking perfect!  I do handwash them, but I handwash all my bakeware regardless of the care instructions.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Love love love them!!
  • Options
    My mother has a few GoldTouch pieces and she LOVES them.  She is an amazing cook (I've been learning) and she insisted I register for them.  She is slowly replacing all her current pans with GoldTouch ones over time and as her old ones wear out.  They are much more durable than cheaper pans and don't warp like so many others do.  I encourage you to register for them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I went ahead and registered for them. I happened to be in Williams-Sonoma this weekend and they had the Gold Touch muffin tin on display. The superior quality was evident just by looking at it and handling it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards